1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I only meet some relatives at funerals

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by happydavid, May 9, 2014.

1. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know it's not the most cheerful of places in the world but it's the only place. Last time I met my dad'sfamily is at one of my uncle's funeral and it was the same with my mums side this week with my grate antie. Has anybody else had this happen ? If so I would be interested in hearing from you.

2. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think I'm not close enough to most of my extended family members to be invited to their funerals, I'm guessing... I really haven't been to many at all. Or maybe my relatives are just too strong and tough to die or something :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The last family funeral I went to was my grandfather's which was when I was seven. But it's true, I'm really not very close to many people in my extended family. Apart from direct aunts, uncles and first cousins I vaguely recognise some people as "relatives of some sort" but barely any.

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The last time I saw some of my cousins and aunts/uncles, was when my grandfather died a few years ago. I saw them at the hospital, and then his funeral, but not since. The only family members I see with any regularity are my mother, sister and grandmother.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My family has drifted apart a lot lately.

Also my aunt had no idea her brother died for 3 years after his death. (In law not blood).

So yea...

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In all honesty, there are some members of my family I'd rather not see.

6. valerie247

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This. There are some family members that make me not want to go to funerals because I don't even want to see them then.

7. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    put it this way. the last funeral i went to was when all of the family actually got together(basically a family reunion)..... kind of says everything about their characters really. i don't like any other parts of my family except a few of my own.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although I have no memory of ever living with him (my parents divorced when I was 2), I went to my father's funeral in Mexico, during the winter of 2010/2011.

Only then did I discover so much about that side of my family and all the cousins that knew me when I was living in Mexico as a baby (very weird when total strangers tell you about yourself when you were so young). I knew about my cousins being part of a locally famous musical band, but I didn't know that I have over 35 cousins...or that my uncle by himself had 25 kids by three marriages! :eek:

They also told me about my late grandmother on my father's side, a cigar-chomping tough old matriarch with native Mexican roots who basically wore the pants in the family...plus ça change...there is also a picture of my late grandfather, her husband, in a sombrero sitting on a horse (as a vacero, or Mexican version of cowboy). His resemblance to me is stunning...