1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to be pale

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Techno Kid, May 9, 2014.

1. Techno Kid

Some of you may have seen the thread I did awhile ago where I was asking what race you thought I looked like. Many of those who posted thought I looked mixed-race... and I would agree that that is how I look.

... Anyway for as long as I can remember I have wanted to be pale (like Irish or Nordic level pale) and am wonder what that says about me or the culture around me?

When people tell me I look like "random darker skinned guy from that TV show" it upsets me for two reasons. 1) It reminds me I'm a bio male and 2) It reminds me that I have darker skin. :icon_sad:

Not that I think there is something wrong with having dark skin, I just mean for me... I don't think the tone goes with a lot of things on me and it makes me sad.

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Skin bleaching is not what I would recommend, but you could try make-up to make your skin colour less dark, if that is what you want.

Anyway, your skin colour is fine if I'm allowed to judge. (*hug*)

3. King

Where I live most people go on holiday just to get a suntan!

Everyone seems to want to change the way they look, but you should celebrate your skin colour as it looks very nice.

4. AlamoCity

As someone whose skin tone is a bit darker than yours, all I can say is that you look fine :slight_smile:. For me, my biggest issue with my skin is that the melanin makes acne marks fade a bit longer because of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation :lol:.

That said, I will acknowledge that the media around the world does like to portray people of fairer skin tones; it's a global phenomenon.

What I can say is to experiment with colors because not all colors look good on every skin tone. Some will make you look washed out and some will make you look great. The key is experimentation. Though, I will admit I have yet to try this for myself, so perhaps I should need my own advice :lol:.

5. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I seem a nordic/french/foreign guy and my mom always says "You're like a ghost!!! Go out and sunbathe FUCK OFF!!"

:lol:

Italians, despite are white, have very often sun-tanned skin. I have french origins, so my skin isn't 100% italian. And provincial people thinks "You don't seem italian. Go back to Sweden!!!"

:roflmao:

You see? The problem isn't your skin but the people who surround you. Be proud of youself and don't give a fuck of stupid people.

6. Niko

Agreed with what everyone here said.

Your skin tone is very nice. :slight_smile: Don't feel ashamed of it! Maybe if you wanted to, work with some different colored clothing and see what you feel best in. But in all honesty you look great in your photos!

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Some people want to be lighter, some people want to be darker. Unfortunately for you, it's a lot easier for a light-skinned person to get a tan than it is for a dark-skinned person to lighten their skin. However people need to just stop worrying about whether they are the right shade to meet other people's expectations.

I tend to prefer pale skin on guys, and I'm grateful that I inherited fair skin from my mother's Nordic side rather than my father's Sicilian olive skin- I can tan quite a bit, but my sister is naturally quite a few shades darker than I am. (Maybe this is a product of lingering unconscious discontent with my father and my desire to differentiate myself from him in any way I can.)

Plus I also like the fact that lighter skin is associated with youth and with femininity; women and children are on average lighter-skinned than men of the same ethnic background.

However there was a time when I wanted to be darker, and would spend lots of time in the sun, because a tan is supposed to be attractive and healthy, whereas if you're pale you get people like FireSmoke mentioned, telling you "go out in the sun, you're white as a ghost". Heard that like a million times. So I felt obligated to tan.

However I realized that society's idealization of tanned skin did not match my own idea of what is attractive and appealing. Not only that, but too much sun is bad for your skin. And artificial tanning salon beds are downright deadly!

Skin-bleaching creams to go in the other direction are not healthy either.

So altering skin to fit what you think society finds is attractive is really not a good idea. You will have people telling you you should be lighter, you will have people telling you you should be darker, you need to be who you are.

As the Olay commercial says...learn to love the skin you're in. :slight_smile:

8. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

:lol: Did she really tell you to fuck off into the sun?? Coz thats pretty funny

---------- Post added 10th May 2014 at 02:15 AM ----------

Heres a few things you can try which works.

FADE OUT white Original moisturising cream

Lemon juice

Bicarbonate Soda also known as Baking soda

Or you can look up what Korean pop stars uses

#8 Z3ni, May 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
  9. juliegt6

I'm half Russian, half German and zero melanin. Finding foundation is a bitch, and I've sold cosmetics for a living before...and I really have to wear a ton of sunblock ALL THE TIME. I wear a ton of sunblock every single day, cloudy, rainy, sunny; it doesn't matter. I burn badly skin wise and don't tan. However, I get asked a lot how I have such great skin. Avoiding Sun and using sunblock does help prevent some aging. Ask any dermatologist.

I like my pale skin, it contrasts well with my dark brown hair and blue eyes. My advice though is to be happy with your skin tone. You can use sunblock to stay your whitest, but bleaching creams and such can cause issues and I'd avoid them.

10. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm kinda the opposite. :lol: I'm pretty pale as it is, but I wouldn't mind being paler. I don't like tanning all that much, and feel weird if I get too tan. Heck, I even want to change my hair color to something darker, just so my skin will look lighter. Not sure why I'm like this, it's just how I roll. Heck, even when my skin does change, I hardly notice it anyways.

However, as someone who hardly notices and/or cares about skin tone, I agree with what others have said. Just gotta love who you are.

11. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always wanted darker skin!! Trust me, you do not want to be pale! You burn so much quicker in the sun and everything is so much more noticeable (circles under your eyes, veins, bruises, freckles, other blemishes, etc). It's really not all that great being pale :/

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you seen my skin? People told me my skin color is "clear".

Sunscreen = no tan

No sunscreen = sunburn

This isn't Burger King I can't have it "my way"

13. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly!!!!!

14. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Well, I wouldn't mind being able to hold a tan for more than a couple of weeks. Had started getting my ghost-white epidermis a little color with sunbaking during early April. Now events have conspired to keep me indoors for the past couple weeks and already starting to look lily-white again, ugh.

Aye, first world problems. Best solved by first world booze. :beer:

15. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Not all pale people burn "so much quicker" ("more quickly" would be the correct way to phrase it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). If I spent every day of my life cramped up hiding in a basement with no windows, I would be as pale as could be. If I spent a few hours of every day in the sun, my skin would tan brown (conversely, my hair would get lighter and blonder, funny how that works).

From my experience, it seems that the people who seem to have it worst when it comes to burning are Irish and British people with milk-white skin and freckles, especially redheads. Nordic (Scandinavian+Finnish) and Northern European people also have light skin, but seem more able to tan and not burn so easily. Meanwhile Southern European people can have light skin but easily tan and it takes much more exposure to burn. At least this is based on the people I've known throughout life.

16. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am British...

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just a little thing, my father is Nordic and is darker than you, while my Nordic brother is white as paper. Nordic isn't an effective description and somewhat erases the existence of dark Nords, especially Romani and Saami people (of which I am neither).

Anyway, if you want to look paler, then wear a little make-up and avoid direct sunshine. Though you look absolutely fine as it is. Nobody needs to look paler, and try not to give in to external pressures.

---------- Post added 10th May 2014 at 01:43 PM ----------

Although this is off-topic, this holds true in my family. My freckly Irish mother burns in literally minutes, while I never burn, having my father's (Finnish) skin.

18. Aldrick

Your post reminded me of a speech I heard given by Lupita Nyong'o awhile back. I found it moving and relevant to everyone who feels inadequate in their looks. I'd encourage you to watch it.

[YOUTUBE]UCLSTUv1Q5U[/YOUTUBE]

19. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Ah so it looks like I have a little more confirmation of my theory beyond the sample of people I've personally known.

My Finnish family members all are naturally pale white but easily tan without burning. My Finnish grandfather seemed to always have a tan as long as I'd known him. Combined with my olive skinned Sicilian side, I have quite a broad range of shades I can go, from pale white to fairly dark brown. Though I could never pass for another race or even as a full-blooded Sicilian since, as mentioned, the sun that darkens my skin also lightens my hair bright beach blond. :grin:

Meanwhile I've known a lot of Irish people, going to high school and college that were heavily Irish Catholic. And so many of them told me how they need to avoid the sun, they can't tan at all, just a little sun will burn them red. I felt bad for them not being able to just sit and enjoy the warmth of the sun at the beach or pool, instead needing to hide under an umbrella. But I find Irish and British guys with their pale skin to be hot just the way they are. :lol:

20. Techno Kid

That was beautuful Alderick! :') Thanks everyone for all your lovely words and advice. xo