1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you go/would you have gone to a LGBT oriented middle/high school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, May 9, 2014.

?

An LGBT oriented middle/high school: Would you go or have gone to one, if you could?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Possibly

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. I'd try/would have tried it for a year, to see what I thought

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This idea crossed my mind the other day, as I recalled that there is such a school in NYC, the Harvey Milk school, a LGBT oriented school, though not exclusively limited to this group. It was founded as a way to help students who were having trouble in normal schools.

These only seem feasible in large, urban areas, and pose a variety of questions.

While I think it might have been fun to have gone to a school where I could have asked a boy out without being afraid, and other such benefits, I wonder if it might somehow have other drawbacks, such as being too isolated.

Also, I wondered about bullying. In my mind, it would probably still occur, though perhaps in different ways; I think there could still be mean kids who picked on you.

So I'm unsure. I might have tried it for a year, just to see.

2. Techno Kid

Interesting idea, my only concern would be kids bullying you if the knew you went to that school.

3. Beware Of You

Why do we need separate schools.

We want to be accepted not segregated, trust me in Northern Ireland segregated schools (this time religion) causes communities to hate each other.

Also as a teen I didn't want to be "seen" as a gay person I wasn't out until 21 so I would hate to have gone to such a place.

4. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't know I was bi back then

5. timo

This sums up my thoughts perfectly.

6. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, because I am against school that excludes people based in criteria beyond a persons control. It's one of the same reasons I'm against faith schools.

Happy days :frowning2:

7. King

I didn't know I was gay then so wouldn't have gone.

Either way I completely disagree with segregation. It divides communities and gives people the excuse of saying 'well they do their own thing and don't join in the mainstream'. If I was in charge I'd ban faith schools and gender schools to let people integrate properly. Also when people meet LGBT people they become more accepting and they can ask questions etc, but if they were segregated how can people learn about us and how can we eradicate stereotypes?

I accept support groups and so on, but are LGBT schools necessary? I suspect not.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd agree that the segregation issue is a prickly one. Though it should be noted that anyone can attend the one school cited as an example, and the only one I know of.

Ideally, it'd be nice to have schools in which you could politely ask a person of the same sex out, without fear of getting beat up, or fear for being 'outed'. And yet I wonder if this will ever be the case, or how close we might come to such an ideal.

Still, had something like this existed, I think I would have tried it for a period of time, merely because I felt so lonely at that time, knew I was gay from age 13, and was also very, well, horny. Odds would have seemed better.

But the drawbacks seem similar to homeschooling and so-called faith-based schools: a lack of interaction with a diverse population, and poor social integration.

#8 HuskyPup, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  9. Hysteria

This a completely flawed concept, sorry.

10. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

No, I disagree.

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In grade 6 I went to a French public school. Just across the street was an English public school. For the most part we kept to ourselves, but every now and then, there would erupt snowball fights between the two schools (yes, a typical Canadian story). I did not participate in these "activities" myself, but I would look on in wonder at the animosity it awakened on both sides.

This was at a time when language tensions were high in Montreal. I always felt that these "innocent" snowball fights could erupt at any time into something more serious (being Anglo, I felt this more keenly than my French fellow-students).

That LGBT kids could feel more comfortable with each other in an LGBT-oriented school is no doubt true, but it would come at the price of being "that" school about which people would talk for miles in all directions. It could conceivably be the target of vandalism, or worse.

Ultimately however, such a school defeats the whole idea of equality. The goal of "normalizing" LGBT relationships in the wider context would be compromised.

Being LGBT is not some "disorder" requiring special needs, or brick walls that separate us from our communities. We ask for nothing less than full integration, nothing less will do.

12. AlamoCity

Same.

13. 741852963

Well I didn't really begin questioning until I was 16+ so it would be too late for me.

Even if I had of known I'd be in two minds.

Yes it may be a safer atmosphere but I'd still imagine there would be bullying there (bullying seems to be a universal thing amongst large groups). Also homophobic bullying has (for better or worse) made me who I am today - I wouldn't want to magically reverse that.

I'd also see it as self-segregating and letting the homophobes win (don't they want us "out of sight, out of mind"?). It is almost like self-inflicted Jim Crow laws. Things will never change unless we are visible.

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have mixed feelings. Back at that age, if I'd accepted I'm gay, and been out, I might have liked an all LGBT boys school... Nothing but boys, more boys, and more boys...and all might potentially be interested in dating. But...I think my grades would have suffered, as I'd probably spend all class looking at that cute boy by me...

But...on the plus side, such a school might have sex ed that would be more relevant to me.

Today, I'm not sure such an all LGBT school is a great idea. I'd rather have a mixed environment where people are free to be who they are.

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Off topic, but I miss those!

I wonder how the Harvey Milk school in NYC has done...have their been many problems, and what stories would the students there have to tell? From what I can tell, the school functions, in essence, to educate kids who have been bullied in other schools, or who have felt so uncomfortable in them, that they've had trouble.

Now you're looking at the benefits! Oddly, I often feel kind of sad, about what I missed out on, growing up...perhaps it is out of this fleeting ideal that prompted such a speculations.

#15 HuskyPup, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  16. Niko

Maybe...but back in middle/high school I had no idea I was transgender, therefore I wouldn't even think I'd belong in that type of school. So unless I knew at the time, probably not. :lol:

17. Cass

No. It's like when black people had seperate schools
    It dosent help the cause

18. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At that age, yes. I didn't attend school after coming out for fear of being killed/ raped. A boy who wasn't even gay but "suspected" was thrown down a flight of stairs at my school the year before and I didn't have support at home. In a heartbeat, I'd have gone.

19. newfish

I totally agree with this. Being gay isn't the only thing about me - rather than teaching the world we are different and need to be protected, teach them not to pick on us in the first place.

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh absolutely.