1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal to be called "gay"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, May 9, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

Looking back on my childhood and teen years, I remember being teased by many people about being "gay". Now, I know most guys who aren't football quarterback manly-men get called this on occasion by other guys, but I mean I've got it a lot. From cousins, uncles, some guys in class all throughout my childhood. Even in high school, a few people would make some less direct jab/joke about me being "gay".

Now, I know I'm not the manliest man out there, but what the heck? I don't think I act like a stereotypical gay guy. So, is this kind of constant teasing normal?

2. AlamoCity

I've only been called "gay" a few times in my entire 1st-12th career and never by relatives; it was mostly as a way to jerk each other's chain.

Either you live with people who like to go fishing (i.e. trawl for answers) or there may have been some tick or trait that may have been perceived as "suspect."

3. confuseduser99

Maybe I have some trait which makes people suspect... I know that I had a pretty effeminate voice as a kid. I've since grown up and lost it (I've "butcher up" so to speak). Apparently however, I sometimes have an uptick when I speak (kind of like that valley girl uptick, but obviously not that discrete).

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, we live in heteropatriarchal society. Bigotry based on gender and sexuality is common.

Also, everybody knows that if you call someone else a fag, that like, makes you super cool or something.

5. confuseduser99

Which is just super annoying. But I mean, even some of my family members would tease me about this. I remember once when I was like 12, one of my older cousins (male - around 18 at the time) was like "I like girls. You like guys. Hah! I like girls. That makes me cool". I didn't even know that I was gay at the time, and was rather confused. It bothered me nonetheless, but it was just a strange comment. Probably boosting his self-esteem. But he said it to me, and not to my other male cousin who was around my age who was sitting right beside me at the time.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd call it more than annoying. For me, it was deeply hurtful. That peer abuse is something I still haven't gotten over, and my revenge complex is probably insurmountable.

7. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

"Honestly bro that's mad gay you're such a fag honestly yo" - How to be "cool."

---------- Post added 9th May 2014 at 09:54 PM ----------

They don't understand it. It's a shame. When a straight person is called "gay" they don't take offense to it that much. Calling someone who isn't open "gay" as an insult is so hurtful deep down & you have to cover it up, ugh, I know how you feel.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. Techno Kid

That is a really really weird thing to say to family. 0_0

10. confuseduser99

Yeah, it's pretty hurtful, especially when trying to conceal your identity. I guess it makes sense now why I took so much offense to being called "gay" when I was in my teen years. Every time someone joked about being a "fag", or made an off-hint joke at my sexuality, it'd kill me inside. I just had to suck it up though and "play cool".

---------- Post added 10th May 2014 at 02:06 AM ----------

I agree, it's super weird... I do have a large family though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. PurpleGrey

When I was a kid, you'd throw it around before you knew what it meant. My brother's friends threw it around non-stop. My little sister said some snot at daycare called her gay. Learning to recognize homosexuality as a social taboo seems to be part of growing up. Hopefully, that crap will dwindle to nothing soon.

12. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nobody ever told me. People judge all those who are different. You told it yourself, "you're not the manliest man out there", so people will call you gay for that. Nice? Not at all!

It's society. Anyone who doesn't fit in is the victim. You can be called a freak, a fat person, an ugly person, etc.. It happens unfortunately.

My parents subtly say "when you have a girlfriend - or boyfriend", but I don't mind, since I'm bisexual. :roflmao: But I never told them (they never asked me), so they simply guessed it right? Perhaps it has something to do with our point of view, who knows, but I wouldn't care that much about it if I were you. (*hug*)

13. DontJudgeMe

DontJudgeMe Guest

It was common for me, I got called a bunch of things like that

14. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It could also help to explain why you are struggling so much with your orientation. To hear all of this crap during childhood, especially from people who should love and nurture you is extremely damaging. It creates a level of internalised homophobia and self loathing that can be so difficult to overcome, but I do believe you will get there in the end. I know you can't see the light right now, but hang in there and keep talking/venting.

15. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't recall ever being called gay as a young person--certainly not by family.

16. Kabuki

This has been part of my daily life since I was 5. I also couldn't understand why, was it my voice(effeminate), uptick(which I still have) or was it something else I did?
    Anyway, I had to endure all those years the constant names and actions they did to make me feel like trash. It also didn't help knowing deep inside that somewhere in there I liked guys, which made it harder because they said gay or fag(in the spanish variant) as if being that is something wrong, so it caused more self hatred and other things.

My siblings also called me gay and other members of my family. Kind of sick if you ask me, I had to endure being called gay/fag on school and now even at my house, no wonder my mom says I'm a cold person, this made me into what I am now. I'm trying to change things, like becoming more of what I was before all of that made me completely close myself from others. It's hard, but I guess all is possible with the love of God(in those that believe) and the support from people you love.

So hang in there confuseduser99 because even if by coming out we proof them right, it doesn't mean they had the right to make us feel bad and bully us. We are not gay because our voice is effeminate, or has an uptick, or because we have mannerism, etc. We are gay because we love other guys, and there is nothing wrong with loving. (*hug*)

17. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My nephew was called gay once he just said thank you I'm very happy. I was surprised that he knew that the old fashioned word for gay means happy.

To awnser your question it's very normal unless it's used in a derogatory way.

18. MDNA

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think its normal or right to get called gay. I dont hear ppl being addressed to as "straight".

19. wolf of fire

I think that it is sad that it is normal, be creative and stop insulting people with things that are not offensive society. I have been directly asked about my sexuality multiple times by my family, they never meant it in an offensive way I think.

20. confuseduser99

I think you may be right here. Subconsciously, this has probably built up a lot of self-hatred within me. I'm learning to love myself more day by day. Hopefully I'll see the light at the end of the tunnel soon.

---------- Post added 10th May 2014 at 11:22 AM ----------

Ain't it tough dealing with crap like that? I didn't really understand the teasing much when I was a kid, I just knew that it was negative. It wasn't until high school where like you, I knew that deep down I was attracted to guys. The "gay" and "fag" teasing really hurt then. Even when someone suggested to me once that I could be their "gay friend", it really bothered me. I obviously acted defensively and said that I wasn't gay.

But you're right, even if we prove them right, who cares! Thanks for the encouragement! (*hug*)