1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Job?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CommanderMatt, May 10, 2014.

1. CommanderMatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It seems I have a dilemma. Recently my currently job cut my hours from eighteen to twelve. Even with eighteen hours I could barely afford to pay for gas, insurance, books, and my tuition balance. Now since my hours have been cut I'm short on money for books when school starts in the fall. I've been contemplating working two jobs and going to school. Your thoughts?

2. Techno Kid

I'm sorry to hear that. :frowning2:

I don't think I could do it, but maybe you could! <3

3. CommanderMatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Tech :slight_smile:

And no worries! I've accepted being in college means you're broke all the time XD

4. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I was working two jobs and college for a while (though I "attend" an online one), I have lost my 2nd job (due racism and something I had no control over) I am actively seeking a new 2nd job. Life is tough, and while some may be above working at a McDonalds I wouldn't mind lol free food goes along way when money is tight as a ziplock seal

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Last semester (Fall 2013), I took 16 hours and worked two jobs. Working two jobs and handling 16 hours was a little daunting and I was slipping at my peer mentor job.

All this to say, it's not at all impossible. What classes are you taking AND indicate if they're the basics or not along with the classification they're geared toward i.e, at UNT 1000-1999 is Freshmen, 2000-2099 is Sophomore and so on.

6. AlamoCity

I know many folks who worked through college and were able to handle it. Like Randy says, it also depends on what courses you're taking.

Not sure how it works in your scenario, but have you filed and updated your FAFSA? If you talk to your college's adviser and/or financial aid department, maybe they can work something out, even if they simply offer loans.

7. CommanderMatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm still a Freshman and taking by basic core classes so I believe that should leave time in my schedule maybe. As for FASFA they're offering me loans mostly which I'm avoiding like the plague. I'm trying to graduate without any debt but it's looking almost impossible at this point.

---------- Post added 11th May 2014 at 12:08 AM ----------

I hear that. Granted I still live at home but my mom is having a hard time making ends meet as it is and my dad...that's kind of complicated.

8. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could always try to just find another job that you like. That way you don't have to try working out your different schedule with both your jobs and school.

9. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With the core classes, you should be fine holding down two jobs. That will be not a problem.

10. CommanderMatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I absolutely would if my cousin didn't refer me for the job I all ready had. I would feel really shitty if I just quit.

---------- Post added 11th May 2014 at 10:06 PM ----------

Twelve credit hour classes shouldn't be too bad right?

#10 CommanderMatt, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  11. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not at all. That is very very possible and, to my mind, it's actually quite easy.

12. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Maybe you could supplement it with some babysitting (I am trying this road, but no success yet...) being a paperboy, yea it seems abit childish, but you gotta do whatever it takes to get by. Even if that job delivering the paper is just a temporary stepping stone.

People today are too condescending, Jobs like flipping burgers are stigmatized.. I remember a few months back when I was an AGM to a pizza place (The GM is still my BFF) a lady came in and insulted her for being 34 and "Working in a pizza place". shes a single mother of 2 and making some great paper from that job.

I had a friend who literally starved himself because he was too proud to get a 2nd job "flipping burgers", Though I can't help but think it was because he came from a rich background whom was cut-off by his parents.

I also have a friend who sells her oil paintings to local restaurants for extra cash, not a bad idea If I had any sort of drawing ability lol