1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) question?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Closetlesbian99, May 11, 2014.

1. Closetlesbian99

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 14, going into high school this August. When I came out to my therapist, she suggested I find out if there were any LGBT clubs at the school I'll be going to. There's a GSA thing.
    I've heard it mentioned quite a bit on here, so I'm hoping you guys could help me. Do parents and/or other students find out if you're in it? If they do, then I'm screwed because I'll be unable to join. Thank you in advance. :slight_smile:

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Well, wouldn't think so. Kinda a broad question- guess that varies based on policy. But unless you're doing school events or mentioned in something the club puts out (like a newsletter or a list), you're fine. I don't think high schools list student memberships.

Just ask whoever's involved and you'll be fine.

3. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do most schools have these, mine certainly didn't. There would have been about 4 of us

4. itsonlyrelative

GSA's don't ever release a roster of who is in the club, but there are ways of knowing that certain people are in the club that you could make sure you avoided.

Examples:
    1) A lot of school clubs now have Facebook groups, and if your GSA's Facebook group isn't private and hidden your membership to that group would be shown (most GSA's are now adjusting their FB group settings but you can check with the leadership before joining the group page)

2) Obviously if you show up to the club yearbook photo, then you will make it very clear that you are a member of the club...my school's clubs make it optional to show up for the picture, yours probably has a similar policy.

3) If you become an officer in the GSA or a leader and become extremely active then you might be expected to do more things at the school and it might become clear to peers that you are a member of the club.

But if you want to join your school's GSA and keep your membership low key, it is totally possible. People at them usually don't discuss the things discussed at meetings outside of them and who goes to them, its a very trusting environment.

5. Closetlesbian99

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

Thanks!

6. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

If you're worried, you could start by talking to the club president or the teacher or staff member serving as the faculty adviser. They'd be able to answer any questions you have about privacy before you go.