1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apologising to the people I have wronged when I was in denial about my sexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, May 11, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

When I was a teen I was repressed and hating my sexuality, it made me pretty homophobic and well I was horrible to other gay people who tried to be my friend and stuff, I was a horrible person. I know its not an excuse but I was unstable and mentally ill with depression.

I am out now, but I feel really bad about this, I am trying to find the people I was horrible to so I can apologise to them . I have had homophobia after I came out, it hurts so much I can't believe I did that to someone.

People say that I should move on, but this mistake is holding me back

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If you realize what you did was wrong, and that you have changed, or are willing to, then that is what you must continue to maintain. It may be hard, but you must let go of such binding sentiments like regret or retrospect. If you are chained down to the past, you'll never reach the future -- where you want happiness and fulfillment, I assume -- and obtain what you desire.

Many times individuals focus on obtaining the forgiving from another, and rarely, if at all, from themselves. We are, most times, are harshest critics and fiercest judges. But if you realize this, and learn from, then you are already a step or two ahead of so many who, for whatever reason, wallow about in misery.

Be the example you want to experience. In other words, set an example, and be a wonderful human being to others, because we should all have the same in return. Otherwise, we're only contributing to the harshness and difficulties of life, and only making it more so than it really should be.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know several people who were bullied in school who, 5 or 10 years later, were contacted by the people who bullied them offering apologies... and coming out to them.

It's an act of powerful courage and authenticity to reach out to those you've hurt, and can be incredibly healing, both for you and for those you've hurt. Since you're already inclined to do that, I'd encourage it. You could find it life-changing and healing for yourself, and I think it would have a similar effect on those you harmed.

4. Beware Of You

I am also thinking of giving up my Saturdays and volunteer in the local LGBT centre thing, I don't want another person to get hurt from people like who I used to be

5. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ^ Sounds like a great idea, it's good that you're considering doing so!

6. awesomeness

Hmm, I didn't think being gay and coming out was a problem in Ireland. Guess there are exceptions.

7. Beware Of You

I grew up in England and went to a Catholic faith school.

In my part of England, its very rural and conservative, its easy in the cities since there are places to help you, I never had those

8. awesomeness

Oh ok, makes sense.

I've been to the big cities every time I've visited the UK, so you almost forget that not all of the U.K is socially liberal.