1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you go eco-friendly?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, May 11, 2014.

1. As the world is becoming more and more polluted, I hope many people are taking initiative to keep the status of our environment from getting worse.

I'm going green by taking public transportation more often instead of riding in a car. I'm also doing this by riding my bicycle to school, but only on days with excellent weather. Also, I'm using natural stuff for my acne...

What do you guys do to save our environment?

Please don't bring the political global warming stuff. I agree that the Earth is supposed to get warmer over time, but human activity is accelerating the process, so best of both sides of the political spectrum!

2. DeliriousMess

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hmmmm.... Well I already take public transportation more often than driving. I already use soaps, deodorants, air fresheners, etc... with natural ingredients. I try my best not waste energy, and I recycle as well.

3. AlamoCity

I use natural cleaning products and soaps; plus, they even smell better. My favorites include Seventh Generation and Mrs. Meyer's.

I also save on disposable plates and cups and utensils by pulling out the durable ones that only need to be washed instead of thrown away.

The only area my family really sucks at is bottled water. We spend hundreds of dollars a year on our habit.

4. Techno Kid

In my area we have little to nothing in the way of public transit so we have to use cars most of the time. Also from my house on a bicycle it takes like 10 minutes or so to get to the nearest store... not very effecient. I do recycle though. My parents also grow some of our own food in the summer. We have low flow toilets too. :slight_smile:

#4 Techno Kid, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  5. CharlieChalk

Recycling is a good one - I'm really fortunate that at home, our local council has a really good scheme. Recycling plastics too! If you can reuse plastic bags and avoid plastics such as the 6 pack-can holders etc - that is good for the environment as well as the animals that live in it.

A lot of toliet paper companies are implementing schemes were they replant more trees for every tree that cut down, so supporting them over other companies would be a plus - Trees and their production of oxygen, support of ecosystem and the role they play in sustaining them is huge.

Taking part in something like beach (anywhere else) litter picks if a good use of time. So much is dumped at sea and that has the capacity to damage and kill so much marine life.

Public transport/cycling/walking as everyone above has said is a good exchange. As is turning electricity off. By turning any electrical device off at the wall socket saves a lot more energy than just leaving it on standby whenever it isn't being used.

Also, being educated is a huge advantage. Not only will it give you an insight in to how small changes can make reasonably sized differences, but it also gives you the ability and knowledge to help others make those changes too :slight_smile:

6. Sarcastic Luck

I suppose that growing a small garden would count.

7. Hexagon

I went vegan. I also conserve electricity, recycle, and I don't drive. And grow some of my own veg. In truth, the actions of any one person will not save the planet. So too the actions of any one government. The way of life we've come accustomed to is responsible for the damage to the climate and ecosystems, and people aren't going to make any changes that negatively impact them in any meaningful way. Sure, people are happy to throw things in the recycling, if there is a box available. But that isn't enough.

8. kem

kem

I'm trying to be vegan, I promote fair trade products when I can. Try to buy in season. I cycle and walk mostly and use public transport. I buy second-hand clothes and I'm planning to buy second-hand furniture when I move in my own apartment.

I don't care if I make a difference or not, it won't stop me from trying.

9. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Where possible wait a bit so I can afford something that's more durable and longer lasting. Donate items that still have some usefulness rather than throw out. Properly dispose of items once they're completely broken/useless/expired (paper/glass/plastic recycling, "toxic waste" i.e. paint/chemicals, e-waste depot for old batteries/electronics, etc). Replaced most light bulbs with CFL or LED (although there's a debate on toxic content vs electricity saved). Trying to do majority of bills/banking online vs paper invoices and cheques/stamps. Same for some magazine/newspaper subscriptions (using iPad vs paper).

10. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Eco people have a habit of forgetting that whilst its all well and good driving about in electric car; a Prius with a 10 year avg life span does more damage to the country than a V8 Land Rover n it's life span. Maybe they ought to remember that their phones and ipads don't need replaced every year too. Just saying, ecoism is a waste of time. The damage is done. Might as well enjoy the time left than worrying about the inevitable. Anyway I'll be dead by then

I will always drive over taking the bus - buses are normally cold, dirty, smelly and always late. My car is war, comfy, quiet, quicker, scented with the stale aroma of McDonalds and there when I want it.

#10 chrisyboy, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  11. BelleFromHell

My mom and I recycle, mostly plastic, but paper and metal as well.

We also use all natural cleaning/beauty/bath products, but we both have sensitive skin, so we really don't have a choice.

12. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recycle, walk whenever I need to go anywhere in my town, use compact fluorescent light bulbs, recycle the water from my washing machine onto my lawn and garden, have drought-tolerant plants and flowers in my landscaping, eat vegetarian, grow my own veggies, compost, take my own bags to the grocery store, pack my own lunch and water bottle for work, watch what I buy (excessive packaging, excessive processing), go paperless as much as possible, keep the thermostat low, buy "wind energy credits" through my electric utility (can't afford my own solar panels yet), and just overall try to lead a fairly simple, low-impact life.

I do like to use electrons for the internet—but only free-range, organic electrons... :icon_wink

13. photoguy93

I live in a small town, and the most eco-friendly thing we can do is try and recycle. I say try, because they stopped doing recycling pick up so you have to take it someplace. Yeah...that doesn't happen.
    I think it's important to be eco-friendly, it's just....difficult. :|

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I probably won't be saying anything that hasn't been said before...

• I recycle as much as possible.
    • I buy a lot of organically grown food, and in summer will buy quite a bit of locally grown produce.
    • I don't eat much meat. If I were to actually do anything with meat again, I'd try for locally grown, small farmer type meat, which is better environmentally, and also often more humane than factory farmed meat.
    • I use CFL bulbs a lot. Not 100% of the time. For fixtures I only use a few minutes here and there, I'll still use an incandescent light. Plus I prefer incandescent in a reading light.
    • I tend to use "natural" detergents and soaps. (Part of this is the selfish reason that they seem to be better for my skin.)
    • My car has only a 4 cylinder engine. I am hoping to cut back my driving a bit.
    • I also use public transit, although not much these days--it is less than convenient where I am.
    • I heat to only about 60 degrees in winter.
    • I air dry clothes in summer.
    • I buy most things used. Almost all clothes, for example.
    • I never have sex with women. (Hmm...I wonder why? :lol:slight_smile: Thus there is about zero chance that I'll contribute to the over population of earth.

However, there are areas I could do better...
    • I could drive less often. One issue I have is that my current car does not like sitting around idle, so I try to go out every day. Some days may be only a 5 mile round trip. But if I could safely skip driving a couple of days, that would mean less gas use.
    • I used heated water for laundry. Tap cold just doesn't work very well.
    • I still use a top load washer--it's what is provided. But, even if I bought my own, there is a real chance that I'd buy a used top load machine. Unless I won the lottery... One possibility I toy with: an older top load machine that has a suds saver option. (These save wash water to reuse. Grandma had this on her Kenmore, and it was the coolest thing ever.)
    • I still use a dryer much of the year. (At one point, I did dry inside year round. But that doesn't work well with the place where I live now.)
    • My computer is a desktop machine. A laptop would use less energy.

15. Aquilo

I don't eat much meat. I don't eat many vegetables/fruits which have to be transported all around the globe. I don't have pets (the CO2 produced during the production of meat for pets can equal the CO2 produced by a car). I walk or use a bicycle for distances <20km and use public transportation for longer distances.

I don't really bother much with other small stuff, because the ecological imprint compared with other humans is already massively reduced with just eating less meat and I'm too lazy for those.. :/

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a vegan, catch as much public transport/walk/cycle as much as possible, recycle all the time (that's easy here), compost organic waste, buy as many Australian and seasonal foods as possible, and avoid wasting stuff.

To pretend individual contribution doesn't matter is idiotic. Society and its waste is composed of individuals and what they contribute or refuse to; everyone saying that they're "only one person" and therefore doing nothing isn't enough to prevent what could eventually become a global catastrophe.

17. Techno Kid

Another one is not eating red meat! :grin:

18. apostrophied

I buy used and do with less.

19. Mattx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Buy used. Coffee mugs . Buy used plates . Buy used clothes. Be homeless . Don't take.this seriously

20. zygnomic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am an awful person and dont usually do anything to save the power, minus making sure i don't leave lights and stuff on