1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you come out to your parents?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hollybee, May 11, 2014.

1. hollybee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm curious as to how everyone went about coming out to their parents

2. LongMayIReign

I actually texted my mom one before class with a list of things I needed her to get me and just threw my coming out into the middle of the list haha.

I still haven't told my dad although I'm pretty sure he knows because he's given me the "I love you and you can tell me anything" speech and has asked multiple times if my love life includes girls.

3. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was Thanksgiving dinner of '08 Mother informed me of a date I was supposed to go on the following night with a nice young man who had a promising future and was looking to get married and start a family right away. She said things like "It's for your own good" and "You wasted 4 yrs of your life at that college and didn't even find a suitable husband."
    I told her I couldn't go on this date because I was already dating someone. She was like "How come you never told us?" and why didn't I bring him with me. I truthfully replied that she was getting ready to go to Iraq. If she heard the word she it didn't register with her, she wanted to see a picture. I showed her one, and she said, "This is a woman!" I looked at the picture, then back at her, and said, "Are you sure?" I thought it was funny but my mother lacks a sense of humor on that subject.

4. Niko

There's a lot of back story to my coming out. Something I'm not truly proud of, but it led to me spilling the beans which is good I guess.

But basically my parents forced it out of me. I was going to write them a letter and all, but no. They (figuratively) pinned me in a corner until I said "what was wrong with me". After I said it though they were full of support, so I'm kinda glad they did force it out of me.

5. antimacy

After breaking up with a long term male partner, I told my mom that one of the things I learned about myself in that time was that I wasn't as attracted to men as I thought I was. That kind of opened the door to talking about my orientation.
    My dad on the other hand... I kind of approached the conversation as a "Do yo you love me no matter what" conversation, and he asked me why and it just kind of came out.
    I didn't exactly plan either of those word for word. But I'm happy it's done.

6. Projectfabulous

It was Thanksgiving of 2013. Me, My sister, her fiancé, my mom, and my dad were playing Dreidel after dinner and my sister's fiancé suggested that we should all share a cool story. My cool story was that I liked boys (phrased like that). But my dad was watching TV and didn't hear me. So while my mom and sister were crying a little and hugging me and my sister's fiancé just nodded his head, my dad asked what happened. So I had to say it again. Everyone was fine with it and it was pretty anticlimactic. (which is what I wanted)

7. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wrote a letter to my parents and left it for them on their nightstand before I left for my third year of college. Waiting for the text that gave some sort of assurance that they read the letter was the longest time of my life.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I just told my mom straight out. I was sobbing, being the confused 14 year old I was. She accepted me, so it was all good.

10. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They asked me if my love life would include a male lover, i said yes then they said, basically to use protection and stuff, all in all fine with it

11. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out as bisexual? To my mom? I was 15. I knew I'd have to tell her sooner or later. I said it without thinking. My mom didn't really care. She told me about her crushes on girls and also that love relationships are not important. We then proceeded to discuss her progress with her obsessive hobby.

How did I come out to my dad? He only found out when I began dating people. He makes weird sexual jokes and says he's happy for me.

There was a round 2 where I came out as ftm. I was 17. I carefully wrote a letter, gave it to my mom, and tried to talk to her about it. She warned me "Let's pretend this never happened." I knew better than to say anything more... I'm almost certain she would've thrown something at me. She looked uncomfortable and furious. I went to my room and cried for hours. You can laugh all you want. You would end up unconscious on the kitchen floor.

I came out to my dad around the same time. The end result was better. He said some things such as "You want to be a bloke?" and "You're a confused tomboy!" Eventually he explained I'm still his buddy, whatever the hell I am. He usually uses neutral terms and calls me an 'it' and 'the kid'. He usually only slips up when he talks to my mom. It was a long discussion because he said he was a 'dinosaur' and doesn't know these things.

12. Gen

Gen

"Do you like any girls at school?"
    "No."

"Do you like her??"
    "No."

"Do you like her???"
    "Nope."

"Do you have a girlfriend????"
    "Nope."

"Do you have a girlfriend now?????"
    "Nope."

"Do you think you'll ever have a girlfriend?????"
    "Nope."

"Oh..."

13. classicat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have yet to come out to my father, but I told my mother over the phone in the beginning of this week. Long story short, I failed college and she asked if there was anything going on in my life that contributed to the low grades. I said that I had to confide in her about something and then told her I was questioning my sexuality. She was very accepting.

14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom was just thirty minutes of struggling to get the words out. We were just talking and I randomly brought it up.

My dad I wanted to do in the presence of my mother and sister, because they had me worried about how he'd take it. He then (as I had actually contemplated to both my mother and sister and they said there was no way) basically admitted to being "slightly bisexual" and fully understanding all the feelings I was having.

Needless to say I don't regret that last one. :slight_smile:

#14 Browncoat, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My only living parent is my father and we are not close. Frankly, my coming out to him might be via wedding announcement. Or else via family grapevine when I come out to others on that side of the family.

16. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I decided to come out to my parents on a Friday eveninig so they had the whole weekend to think/process and ask any questions. I wasn't living with them by this time, so I called them the day before to check that they would both be home.

We sat down and with lots of emotion I somehow said the words that I had rehearsed a hundred times over in my mind. At times it felt like I was forcing the words out but they did come out and so did I. :slight_smile:

17. Van

Van

My uncle's asked my mom why I was posting gay stuff on facebook (to be more specific - an article about marriage equallity in France), so when she got home she told me about my uncle's "concern".
    Mom: "So, your uncle is concerned about you, he saw you've posted something about gay marriage. Why would you do that"
    Me: "Why not?"
    Mom: "Do you think that's normal?"
    Me: "What exactly?"
    Mom: "For two men or two women to marry."
    Me: "Of course, marriage should be for everyone."
    Mom: "Are you like... that?"
    Me: "Like what?"
    Mom: "Are you... gay?"
    Me" "Yes."

18. ttmab

I was drunk and crying, and my parents cornered me, asking what was wrong. I told them. For the record, I don't recommend coming out to your folks when drinking, lol.

19. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came home drunk and crying to my mum. I texted my dad while drunk.

20. XRay

Just told them both. My mom asked a lot of questions, with my dad it was something like that:

Me: Dad, I'm not straight
    Dad: Okay... now we have something in common :slight_smile:
    (which is we both like women.. he's completely straight)

#20 XRay, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014