1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual orientation and cis/trans relationship

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, May 11, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

Is there any relationship between sexual orientation and gender identity?

I know that it's been said that there is no relationship and that they are both different identities, but I have to wonder that based on my exposure to the LGBT community (of which EC is 99% :lol:slight_smile:, it seems to me most people who identify as pansexual seem are trans guys and gals and even the rest would still fall in the gay/bi spectrum. Meanwhile, it seems that the majority of cisgender people are heterosexual and those of us who identify as LGB seem to be a minority within such segment of the population.

Perhaps there's a link between trans causes and sexual orientation causes that may work in one direction (i.e. biological triggers for trans may lead to a higher likelihood that one is gay/bi/pan/etc.). Heck, it could even be the other way and be that the triggers that lead to a non-heterosexual orientation can also trigger the likelihood that a person is trans, if it's true that trans people are more likely to be LGB compared to the heterosexual trans guys and gals.

I thought this was the best place to post this because it deals with both sexual orientation and gender identity issues and was wondering how you viewed your orientation in relation to your gender identity (regardless of whether you view yourself as cis/trans/etc.).

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can't answer anything of it, but the reason I identify as bi is because I've never met any trans guy or girl yet, so I'm not sure whether I would be attracted to them (and I'm demisexual, thus finding it quite hard to think if I would be attracted to someone or not).

I guess you'll get better answers than this one. I'm sorry! (*hug*)

3. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To be honest, my sexuality was a complete afterthought for me.
    My main priority was to get a body I could live in. In fact, it's still my priority.

I'd say that the two are only sort of connected. There's a lot of LGBs in the trans population, which probably caused them to be included in the acronym in the first place.

4. Techno Kid

Interesting question, I think probably most binary trans folk are staight, but we just don't here about them as much.

For me I realized my sexuality before my gender. :slight_smile:

5. Maybe it's that cisgender straight people don't know as much about the wide array of gender identities out there? Not that they're only attracted to "the opposite gender" just that they haven't had exposure to enough gender non-conforming and trans people to determine their attraction.

Whereas, the large number of trans or gender non-conforming people open to the idea of dating all different gendered people could stem from the awareness of how fluid and different people's gender identities/expressions/etc can be.