1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some Self Belief Would Be Nice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, May 11, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

So I've recently started learning Guitar and I like a week ago, and I keep telling myself I need to cut myself some slack, and that I will get better with practice. But I keep getting angry with myself because I can't switch chords quickly and I can't remember one of the notes. Does anyone know how to solve this?

2. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Practice practice practice practice. And keep practicing. There are no shortcuts when it comes to learning an instrument. You've just been playing for a week. Give it some more time while you get familiar with the instrument. No one was instantly good when they started out... a week really isn't much time at all. Have patience, give it time and keep on practicing :slight_smile: Is this the first instrument you're learning to play?

Also, check out the lessons on Ultimate-Guitar. Many people only use the site to look up chords but they have a VERY good lessons section as well.

3. ScatteredEarth

You're pretty much gonna get the same answer here.. You just gotta keep practicing and never giving up... Slash wasn't built in a day you know :wink:

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

A cousin of mine is really good at guitar. But he didn't get like that quickly. He did move a tad faster than most, because he learns and remembers things easily when it comes to music. As has been said, you have to practice and keep practicing, but more importantly, you have to be motivated to want to play. You can't half-ass with the playing, or you'll only wind up more frustrated in the end. If you really want to play, you have to make it a routine, a habit.

Find a simple song, and play that. Just get your fingers used to playing. Another option is to find somebody who does play, and play with them. Have this sort of coach you along. Eventually, you'll either click with it and play, or move on to something else. It took my cousin about a year until he could play steadily, but it paid off -- he shreds the living hell out of anybody now.

5. Hexagon

Yup, practice. I haven't played guitar in a few years, but I was once quite adept at the basics. Eventually, your body will just know what to do.

6. ZenMusic

I can remember how a song goes if I practice for a short while, but I can't change chords quick enough to keep the song going, and it irritates me, I start thinking I'll never learn the guitar. It is also the first instrument.