1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giant House Spiders everywhere tonight?! :(

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by amoore658, May 11, 2014.

1. amoore658

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    (I think we only get these in the United Kingdom - so for those of you from the US wondering what they are, see link: Giant house spider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

But tonight they're EVERYWHERE? I've seen 3 in the past hour! My Henry vacuum has dealt with all three lol.... Has anyone else in the UK noticed these things running everywhere tonight? It's quite warm so that's maybe why?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What did you do after you vacuumed? They might come out again...

3. Joelouis

They're hardly giants!

The Huntsman from Australia is a big 'un but I think the venom is no worse than a bee sting.

4. Querying

Oh my god you live with these things? Spiders two-three inches across?

And we're afraid of daddy longlegs!

Best thing is I'm not even one of the people with an irrational fear of spiders... But oh my god i'm just imagining that disappearing into a corner, ready to strike with all its spidery force...

I think I'm inclined to stay down here in North America. Add hope really, really hard that we don't get that invasive species anytime soon.

5. Slothus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If these things were a regular occurrence in my house it wouldn't be my house for much longer. Fuck spiders.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope - we've had a lot of spiders, but only tiny little baby ones that recently hatched in the bathroom. A little disturbing actually.

They're nothing compared to the beasts in Aussie though. Look up the Golden Orb Weaver - they catch birds, and have abdomens as hard as concrete (exaggerating.. maybe). The Sydney Funnel Web is pretty scary too. I'm glad our cool, oceanic climate is not supportive of those venomous arachnids - I would be out of here in a flash otherwise.

#7 imnotreallysure, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  8. Cubiculum

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I live in the UK too.

I am terrified of spiders, so considering your situation, I guess I'm lucky :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If they're as big as they sound (I'm not clicking on the link, I can't even stand pictures) I hope I don't have an encounter.

I remember one time when my stepmom saw a huge spider on the ceiling, so she made my dad grab it and throw it outside. He turned around and it was on his back! The spider must've cast a web onto his back.

9. ScatteredEarth

I have severe arachnophobia, which is sometimes a bit out of hand.. Such as when dealing with spiders/scorpions in video games.. To this day, no other video game has scared me more so, than Bethesda games >_< With those creepy ass 8 legged creatures, just waiting to strike at any minute.. AND THEY ALWAYS MAKE THEM THE SIZE OF SPORTS CARS! WTF BETHESDA?!

10. 741852963

Now I'm scared to keep my feet on the floor and I'm all itchy, thanks! :icon_wink

I'm scared enough of the woodlouse spiders that seem to be on the increase - let alone those things!

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's fair to put Australian spiders alongside those from the rest of the world. XD The crazy Aussies out there are like "That's not a spidah, now THIS is a spidah!"

*nukes*

I've seen somewhat large wolf spiders, but they're not quite giant and I don't think I've seen any like in the picture.

^^ScatteredEarth, I know what you mean. The spiders in Skyrim are realistic enough to be genuinely skeevy. ugh.

12. newfish

#12 newfish, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  13. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    We don't get many home intruders here. Just the occasional wolf and grass spiders in the fall. With some of the wolf's getting pretty big. And the only spider we have to worry about here is the widow, though even they are hard to come by. I like spiders, though.

Wolf.

[​IMG]

lol.

14. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Omg a big one who looked just like this made its web right outside of my window. I shut it and never opened it again until I was sure it was gone! :lol:
    I like spiders, and I took many photos of it, but I wouldn't wanna live with it too!