1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Gay Pride Matters?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MyLittleWorld, May 12, 2014.

1. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So yesterday I was talking with my dad and he is homophobic... I was defending gay people in every possible way. Now, he asked why homosexuals need gay parades? he said he doesn't want to see "naked gays" dancing on cars or in the streets. He asked, why can't we just be silent. In his words: "we know you exsist but, why show off?" ..

I just wanted to ask, why do you think we need pride parades?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Historically, those who stand by in silence are one of the first, if not the first, scapegoats for those who achieve, or have established, power. Political jargon dictates that if one does not speak, then one has accepted. If one complains but does nothing more, then one will accept. This is how most politicians operate, sadly.

I'm supportive of parades due to the fact it keeps awareness up, and showcases that those in the parade, or in support of the parade, are human beings, and the numbers are growing.

3. Claudette

Claudette Guest

we are a group of people in a intolerant era that is ever growing tolerant. I feel the parades are there to let the world know that we are here, we are numerous, we will not be silent until we are equal, and most importantly we are proud to be who we are.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay self-respect matters. The parades are just to show the world that there are a LOT of people who are gay and a lot of people who support them. Personally, I would rather see most of the people in the parades looking as indistinguishable from the general public as possible to help kill off the rednecks' stereotypes, and their excuses for treating us differently, but there are people whose personal version of their authentic self is more flamboyant in nature, so there is nothing wrong with them "being themselves" too, because they are part of "us".

6. confuseduser99

BINGO! Hit the nail on the head. The whole naked scene is just absurd. Happens EVERY year at Pride Week in Toronto.

7. Not to start a flame war or anything, but I think this is really not a good way to deal with people's discomfort about pride parades and festivals.

It's not helpful for queer people to just conform to societal standards of gender and sexuality so that no one will have anything to use as a weapon against us. I think that misses the point. The fact that gay pride parades along with their blatantly public sexuality and nudity and gender-bending etc make lots of people uncomfortable is only indicative of society's unwillingness to accept difference. The solution to that is to be louder and demand to be treated like a human being not to silence and hide every difference.

8. wowiemio

from someone living in a country were being gay is illegal and considered shameful
    I would say it shows that you are proud of yourself despite what people think of you, i never attended one, i hope to do so one day

9. Sarcastic Luck

Yeah, and not all of us in the LGBT community wants to see a bunch of guys in assless chaps.

There's a difference between being tasteful and being crude. If someone is trying to change my mind about something, being crude about it is the fastest way for me not to change my mind.

10. 741852963

But not every gay person identifies as a "queer" person - and many even find that term offensive due to the historical connotations. I personally recognize it as a valid subset identity but please be aware that "queer" does not encompass all gay people.

A desire to be nude or wear skimpy clothing, love of exhibitionism and expressing sex in a very public way isn't an intrinsic part of being gay and should not be held up as an example of "being open and comfortable with their sexuality" as it paints anyone who does not choose to act like that (and yes this part is definitely a choice) as prudish, guarded, repressed, ashamed etc.

I'm all about free choice and if people choose to dress and act like that it is fine - but it isn't a "gay thing". Its a separate preference, more of a trend or subculture. Personally I'd prefer if all the leather/fetish/underwear crowds had a separate parade(s) to push for freedom of sexual expression which I believe is a different issue to gay rights.

11. confuseduser99

EXACTLY! It bothers me that gays are automatically associated with being queer (not judging queers, but it personally don't want to wear clothing like that, etc.) I just like guys... plain and simple. Because of the lumping of gays and queers at pride parades, and the media coverage, society automatically assumes that gays just want to run around naked on the street, strutting their :***:s.

12. PillsHere

I personally am not for any of it, but more power to those who feel the need to. I feel there's a time and place for everything. If there's an instance where LGBT is being discriminated against, go ahead and rally just like anyone else would for their own cause. It just seems like most LGBT are almost always passively protesting.
    I think Johnny Galecki said it best "I've never really addressed those rumors because why defend yourself against something that isn't offensive?"

I feel like if I have to advertise myself and exert myself as being "prideful" for being gay, then I'm reinforcing the ideal that it is out of the ordinary or there's something wrong with it and I have to reassure myself and everyone else that it's acceptable. It's always why I've never understood the ideal of "coming out," there's nothing to come out from.

13. 741852963

Yes. I think displays of affection such as two-samies holding hands, hugging and kissing would be far more impactful than provocative sexual displays. Why? Because its a run of the mill ordinary thing that a. straight people can ultimately identify with, and b. gay people should be allowed to do in public without fear. I think this is an example where shock tactics really aren't the best method.

People (Straight, gay, bi or trans) don't as a general rule have sex or go naked on the street (and public decency laws usually regulate this regardless of sexuality) so that is not really something that needs to be focussed on as a gay rights issue.

Obviously I can't vouch for every gay person but I just want to be able to hold a partners hand on the street without repercussions - I will never want or need the freedom to strip off and shag him then and there! Hell, I should bloody hope people bat eyelids and act with disgust if I try doing it outside the supermarket!

Now don't get me wrong I think it is important the majority become familiarized with gay people (including areas like sex) but there is a time and a place for it. Film and TV is an excellent place as it allows you to depict sex more naturally (i.e. not out on display in the high street where it all looks a bit alien, contrived and crude).

14. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    nahh, it's more of why than how you feel about it. though the thread provides a lot of insights

it's important to know the history behind it and why we're doing it in the first place. i asked people this questions and they all have different answers, and sometimes in different places it can mean a whole different thing.

15. Lipstick Leuger

People seem to forget that the reason we have a Pride fest and Pride parade is to honor those from Stonewall. The Stonewall was a LGBT hangout in NY, and all the time police would raid it and arrest people for being gay. Finally, the Queens and Dykes got mad about being raided when they were keeping to themselves and stood up to the cops. They threw rocks and basically rioted. This is where we get out Pride marches from.

We need to remember that it is because of them that we have ANY rights what so ever. This was the birth of the gay rights movement. This is why we have Pride.

Stonewall Inn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia