1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is being LGBT normal or special?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MDNA, May 12, 2014.

1. MDNA

Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, I think being gay is special. Being gay makes me more in touch with my emotional side and I think its made me more of a free thinker. How about you?
    I'm not trying to imply that being LGBT is abnormal but if it makes you feel special :slight_smile::thumbsup:

2. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

It's fabulous! We are special, like genius. They are pecurial because they are very intelligent, and we are peculiar because...because we are us!

3. confuseduser99

I happen to agree. I mean, I don't show my emotional side openly, but I think being gay does make us special. I mean, only approx. 1/10 people are gay. That's pretty special to me.

4. MDNA

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for sharing your opinion :slight_smile:
    I've realised that as I am becoming more accepting of my sexuality, I am also becoming ore confident and appreciative of myself :slight_smile:

5. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

:thumbsup:

6. confuseduser99

Me too! (*hug*)

7. itsonlyrelative

It may be my ingroup bias speaking, but yea I feel as though the LGBT community is made up of really amazingly special people.

8. peace2day

Specialllll!!! :grin:

9. MDNA

Out Status:
    A few people
    (*hug*)

---------- Post added 13th May 2014 at 12:45 AM ----------

I really wanna get to know more gay ppl :|
    In real life lol

10. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think being LGBT is a normal variant of human sexuality and expression.

I may get flack for this but I wouldn't say being LGBT somehow automatically makes you special. To be honest that's a pretty arrogant position to take. I've met some amazing straight people too in my life who are every bit as you've described the LGBT minus the same sex attraction. In fact the most amazing person I know is straight.

Your sexuality doesn't make you special. How you behave and the individual uniqueness of who you are makes you special. It's the individual aspects of each of us that sets us start from others is what I'd define as special.

And in that sense, I guess everyone is special in their own way.

Happy days :slight_smile:

11. confuseduser99

I want to meet more gay people in real life too, but it's so hard. I don't do the typical "gay" places, and I used to be homophobic so yeah... I think I may come out to a couple of gay people that I know when school begins in September, so maybe they can help me out.

12. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    really depends on how you look at it. i mean, i don't think it makes an LGBT person any more special then the next one. it's really your personality and how you decide to take the stand against discrimination of any type is what makes you stand out. we deal with a lot of the same type of hate and rejection. to me, i think that's more then enough to bring together the community they have today. A lot of people in LGBT community are special in their own ways. your sexual orientation is just another thing that just makes a part of what/who you really are.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Special for being sexually or emotionally unique? No.

That said, I do think we are special in the sense that, since we're not considered "normal" or viewed as "the prime example of humanity", we have to be made of unique conditioning and remarkable fortitude. That, in a way, is what gives us a specialness. If society was more open and accepting, who knows? We wouldn't have that backdrop to stand out against, or to compare with.

14. 741852963

We can be perfectly normal in the sense that sex and attraction is a pretty ordinary thing - obviously ours is different somewhat in our desires but generally it all works the same!

We can be "special" due to our experiences. I think tough times can make or break people (either lead them to success or ruin). Obviously straight people also experience tough times but I think gay people on the whole seem to share a universal adversity so these formative experiences are more widespread (so a higher percentage of gay people to straight will experience severe trauma, crisis, or existential conflict). I think that may be one of the reasons that gay people tend to be statistically higher earners, there is a drive there that many from smooth sailing backgrounds lack.

15. King

Its perfectly normal and seen in many animal species.

Special would be inappropriate as we are not better or superior than people who are straight.

16. wolf of fire

We are different but everyone is different, we are all unique

17. Higs

I'd say it's normal. People can be special/unique by who they are and I don't think sexuality defines you as a person.

18. ChainsrGone

When my wife (then girlfriend) went to Pridefest last year we were actually talking about how much more respecting and accepting the LGBT community is. My city has TONS of festivals throughout the summer, every one of them crowded, full of drunk people who would cuss you out for bumping into them....except Pride. At Pride, you bump into someone, there are apologies and in some cases, you end up becoming good friends with the person you bumped into! There are no awkward glances your way, only smiles and waves. It's definitely a different type of community than any other.

19. yidnah87

I view my bisexuality as a gift rather than a curse. I love being able to see the beauty of any gender.

20. zygnomic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it does make people special, absolutely. I can see the true beauty of the world and everyone in it rather than just what people say is "right".