1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writer's Block

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JohnB, May 13, 2014.

1. JohnB

Any writers here? If so, then you know about writer's block, well, you don't HAVE to be a known writer or not, just someone who has ever written on a card, or you ever wanted to put your own spin on any phrase or song or anything, etc...

Anyway, how do you deal with writer's block? The idea of just getting started? Knowing what you wanna write? Any advice?

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a writer and I wish I had advice when it comes to conquering the monster that is writer's block. Sometimes music can break it and give me motivation or help me envision a scene for one of my plays or stories, or a certain moment from a movie.

3. JohnB

Well, one quote I like is, when struck with writer's block is:

"Write down everything that won't happen next. You never know what will and won't work"

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a writer blog on tumblr that posts pictures of things and asks you to write a scene or something about it. If I find it, I'll put a link up.

5. kem

kem

Well, I have had artist's blocks in the past, and the best way to deal with them is to stop thinking about whatever you're working on and start focusing on something else entirely. Go for a walk, look at the Discovery Channel, read the newspaper...

6. JohnB

Oh and one more thing I came across was actually from Big Bang Theory.

Sheldon's working on a theory and racking his brain, so he finds a menial task to do to keep his mind and body busy for his epiphany to ease in. To get his brain juices flowing.

Also hilarious scene.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfAL3wSM3HQ[/YOUTUBE]

7. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Define "writer"

8. Emulator

I listen to a melancholy tune which almost always inspires my inspiration.

9. Monika the Diva

The best way to deal with writer's block is to come up with a different idea and brain storm on that and keep a journal of every brain storm you have. That way you something you wrote could be amended to the material you are writing. Usually when i get writer's block on a piece that i am working on. I just write something else.

10. JohnB

@AudreyB. Basically anyone who has had trouble with writer's block. I guess.

11. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a fan fic writer and Id just have to say don't force it. If you force it you'll end up unhappy with the outcome most of the time. I find that taking a break and coming back when you're inspired is best. Hope it helps.

12. Lorn

I'm not sure if I've ever had writer's block. If I can't seem to gain any steam with what I'm writing at the time, then I alter the theme, storyline, or characters a little bit so that they're more interesting to think about and work with. My brain doesn't like things that are boring, is all, and some ideas run out of steam fast.

The only exceptions to coming up with ideas for things I like would be when I'm feeling depressed or too stressed to let ideas flow.

I also keep files of ideas that I came up with but didn't want to/didn't have time to work on, and links to a few websites with interesting prompts.

13. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I'm writing a book (in italian) and I have a block :dry: Sorry, I don't have any advice for you because neither I know what to do. The only thing I do is waiting :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Jumping Jehosaphat, I'm a writer! :eusa_danc

*has had writer's block for 20 years*

15. Gen

Gen

I will have to go against the grain and recommend that you don't take on a different task or project. Rewrite... Rewrite...... Then rewrite again. Though writer's block is a common experience, it is a sign that something is wrong with the piece you are creating. In the vast majority of cases, writer's block is a sign that a writer has lost themselves creatively or stylistically. The best way to confront this is to turn to a fresh page and restart from the current chapter or scene break.

Additionally, writer's block is commonly a result of conflicts within the overall plot of the work as well. It is one thing to not be certain of how you want to portray a certain scene, but finding yourself uncertain of the direction of the work in general is going to create some serious issues in the long run. I know that some writers prefer to write without planning and discover how their story will play out, but the reality is that a writer should always know more than the reader. If a writer can't figure out where their story is going, what story they want to tell, or what the meanings behind the important pieces of the plot are, than the reader won't be able to figure out those things out either.