1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Money and 'dead-end jobs'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yosia, May 13, 2014.

1. Yosia

I was talking to mum about what i wanted to do and i said i want to be a primary school teacher but then we discussed that i probably wont get the grades for university so i said 'i could just be a TA like you?' And she said that it was rubbish money and she wouldnt want me in a dead end job like that~

But its what i really want to do but is money more important than what i want? And it is a deadend job because you cant really get anywhere except teaching assistant but im okay with that! Why do people think money is everything? life is about fun not money! >.<

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, I spent the last four years as a TA and I can tell you right now your mum has a point. The current school climate is CRAP. In my school they made all but 3 of the TA's redundant in one go, 8 or 9 jobs gone.

The work is really hard and the pay sucks. The children are great and that goes a little way, but the job isn't easy.

Thing is if it is something you love, then go for it, you are right, money isn't everything. But that job is steadily becoming far too much for far too little. The extra unpaid work, unreasonable pressure, constant changes to curriculum and scores of angry coworkers who are stressed to over-load don't help matters.

I think your mum is just trying to warn you about it without crushing your hopes and dreams...

Follow your heart just don't be suprised if your wallet hates you for it.

3. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are 15 years old - you still have a lot of time to improve your grades. You also don't need to get all A+ to get into a decent university. Don't give up without even trying. Study more, make an effort.

And it's always easy to say ''oh, money isn't everything, there are more important things in life!'' but when you have to work your ass off and all you can afford with that money is paying rent and buying food - then how are you going to afford these other things? Even just dating costs a lot, starting a family costs a lot, having enough room and having kids costs a lot. And what if you want to travel, see the world? Take up a hobby or courses, get a pet? I know people who are working up to 80 hours a week just to feed their families, that aren't even that big. And I know people who are 30 and above, and single, with no families, simply because they cannot afford it. I'm not saying that this happens always, but if you pick a low paying job with no possiblity of promotion, then you are risking this.

4. Sarcastic Luck

In order to have fun, you need to have money.

Money is everything.

5. Simple Thoughts

Money isn't everything, but it's not nothing either.

Unfortunately our system is set up to where money tends to dominate. If you don't have money you stop mattering, and more than that you suffer for not having money. Every job should be respected as they are all needed, but sadly that's not the case. Some jobs are way under what their pay should be, and you'll gain no sense of respect from them.

Just look at teachers in the U.S. It's one of our most important jobs and they're horribly underpaid and treated like trash by everyone. Why? I haven't the faintest idea. =/

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Study hard and aim for the teaching course you want. If you don't reach it, then consider the other option seriously. Not everyone can get excellent grades, but most, if they work, will be able to get into a decent university. If you already have the possibility of going to uni, make sure it's worth it. Study a lot and study strategically. The subjects which will increase your score on graduation are the ones to focus on. It may be difficult, but a constant state of job insecurity is much harder than a few years of studying.

Solely pursuing fun and a job you only have because you love it won't pay the bills, won't feed any future kids you have, won't allow for much freedom, and will drain your spare time. What you do now is so important for your future; it's too naïve to think that money is less important than fun when it dictates almost every aspect of your life.

Living far away from your work because you can't afford to live nearby, not being able to afford the subsequent cost of commuting, both in time and money, not being able to send kids to good schools (or being able to have kids in the first place), not having enough money to pay rent, not being able to eat well etc., are all problems coming with not having enough money. You can't have fun if your life is devoted to staying financially afloat.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Make enough money to survive and to use it so that you may gain happiness. If you can meet those goals as a TA, you've no reason to go for more. :slight_smile: