1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st time using gay social media app

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shyguy5, May 13, 2014.

1. Shyguy5

What are some concerns in making a profile for a gay social media app? I made one for the purpose of making friends in my area or college. I always hear about apps only being used for sex so I'm kind of nervous about who contacts me.

2. EarthBound

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So what you have heard is correct from my experience and that of other individuals I know. Most people do use it to look for hookups. That is not to say you cannot nor will not meet individuals who just want to be friends; they do exist! With apps like that, you make of it what you will. You'll be contacted by all sorts of people with different agendas most of whom you'll be able to easily identify what they're looking for.

Best of luck!

3. Mitchell

I don't know...

I tried with the hopes of making friends... the one I had joined had more so people in my area looking for... "more than friendship", and wanted it right then...

I'm now cautious about finding friends like that.

4. Shyguy5

I nervous right now because I got two guys messaging hi/hello. Should I be cautious about how I respond?

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Be very cautious about how you respond; even though I have a profile, I'm very hesitant about saying hello. May well be the introvert in me or the rep that apps like these have.

---------- Post added 13th May 2014 at 08:10 PM ----------

but back to your original post: The main concern there is about apps like these is that they're primarily used for hookups. Even if you put legit chat only, you'll still get messages pertaining to a hookup.

#5 Randy, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
  6. Shyguy5

So far I got a messages saying "hi" and one message asking what I'm looking for. I also made an account on ******* just to try it out. If that doesn't go so well then I guess online dating/social apps aren't for me

7. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    eiii i'd say be careful. try to find out what the guy's motive behind it, but don't be too upfront about it. there's always possibility that they just want to hook up and go. don't be too shy to say hi though. you never know who you might end up being friends with.

8. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At least that's better than a message that flat out asks, "wanna fuck?" or "want head?" but with that one message asking what you are looking for sounds decent enough and the hi message sounds okay. But if that's you in your avatar, I would be very cautious because you are very cute and frickin' handsome and that may be taken advantage of.

9. AKTodd

While being cautious is always good advice when meeting new people and entering new situations, there's also the factor that you are an adult who is perfectly capable of making it clear what you are looking for (and not looking for as the case may be) and of saying 'no' to anything that is proposed that you aren't comfortable with.

You're likely going to be dealing with a large cross-section of humanity. Some may be nice folks who you'll want to get to know better, others won't be. You won't know until you try and if it doesn't work out, take it as a learning experience and move on.

Todd:slight_smile: