1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone else annoyed with the double standard in society?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, May 14, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

Why is okay for people to openly discuss sex in social circles and on TV, so long as it's heterosexual, yet if a gay couple even kisses on TV, it's gross and morally wrong? My mom is currently watching a talk show where they're talking about sex explicitly (threesomes and all). It really annoys me. Why can we as a society be so open sexually with heterosexuality, but so grossed out about homosexuality?

2. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

Because, in my opinion, society embraces the masses and therefore consider what's more popular to be more acceptable and "normal"

They fail to see that sanity is not statistical.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well in that specific case I would say because your mum doesn't feel she needs to know anything about gay sex, because she isn't gay.

You know, just like I have no need to learn how to live with feline aids, because I'm neither a cat, nor a cat owner.

It doesn't apply to me so why the hell should I learn about it dagnabbit!

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

That's a shame :dry:

5. confuseduser99

That's a fair point and I agree, but it's just so hypocritical. Two gay guys kissing on TV causes so much moral outrage by some, but talking about threesomes and the G-spot on TV is totally fine as long as it's of a heterosexual nature. What a load of BS.

6. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People do things on there terms. Equality is a lie! I wish it wasn't

7. confuseduser99

It just sucks. Talking sex is alright on TV, unless it's of a homosexual nature.

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will point out though, that there are plenty of people on this forum who will happily tell you that they have absolutely NO desire to hear about straight sex, for all KINDS of reasons, including the fact that they find it unpleasant.

So being realistic, if homosexuality was the norm, I can't imagine for a moment that there would be an equal share of 'straight' sex talk either.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Straight sex disgusts me, I don't want to hear about it (which is why I NEVER watch TV). But at the same time I don't like to hear about gay sex on TV either. Seriously, I agree. How is two men kissing 'grosser' than explicit details about straight people?

10. confuseduser99

Exactly! If we want to talk about sex, fine! But at least have an equal playing field. If a show talked about gay sex in detail like the way they do with straight sex, people would complain and demand that the show be taken down.

11. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Straight sex disgusts me

But I bet you support straight peoples right to be straight!

The reverse is also true. Even the most staunch straight ally doesn't necessarily want to hear the ins and outs of gay sex.

To top that off you have the people who don't want to hear about gay sex AT ALL who don't support it.

There are some people that don't want to hear about any kind of sex and those people already complain about sex in the media.

12. confuseduser99

I just want a level playing field. We as a society should either avoid talking about sex overall in media, or be tolerant and accepting of sex talk, whether it be gay or straight.

I personally think sex shouldn't be discussed in media. Love should be shown, and I think it should be equal (showing gay couples and straight couples). That's not to say that there should be an equal proportion, but that they should be treated with equal respect.

13. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's a reason why I last watched TV in my room more than a year ago. I don't want to know how people are being brainwashed. I still know too much. And also, once I started having gay thoughts a straight kissing on TV always made me feel inferior and that I shouldn't be living at all. So dear companies, if that's what you're trying to give me, I won't watch any TV because I'm not interested in your endlessly generous "offer".

14. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just take sex off the table for now. I'm going to talk about food again because damn it, all the best analogies involve food.

OK, so we have a town of 1000 people. They only have 1 channels to watch. Every day at 7pm there is a 3 hour program about BBQ. This town is known for basically loving it some BBQ. So every night, most of the town tunes in.

Now about 100 people in the town start complaining. They're not big on BBQ, some of them flat out hate it. They like them some SUDANESE CUISINE! So in the interests of a level playing field, tomorrow night will be the premiere of "Jo and Al's BBQ and SUDANCE CUISINE show!".

about 800 of the original audience think sudanese cuisine is just disgusting so they stop watching. 100 don't mind, or can at least put up with it because of the BBQ sections.

Out of the 100 that wanted the sudanese cuisine show, 60 tune in and the other 40 refuse because they still can't stand BBQ.

The next day the studio shuts down. No more TV.

I'm all for the idea of trying to change the mindset, but you can't expect the TV channels to lead the charge...

15. confuseduser99

That's fair. I usually argue this point and several times in the past. Maybe I'm just being a little sensitive now that I've come out. Trust me, just a month ago I argued this point in class.

But I've believed that TV and the media are the ones to change society's view. Entertainment caves to the will of the majority for profit (which is fine in my opinion).

Again, I think I'm just being a little over sensitive since being gay is all new to me.

16. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry about being over-sensitive...that's how things work, I never said I agreed with it!

Personally I'd rather people were more open to accepting that being gay exists and that you wouldn't get run off the air for talking about it, but you know...bigots be loud and annoying.

17. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look up the term heteronormativity. That should explain everything to you.

18. confuseduser99

I guess I'm still panning out this new identity of mine (well, not "new" identity, but finally accepting it). Ugh, life... :bang:

19. LiquidSwords

By this argument there would be no diversity in tv programming at all, it would be nothing but lowest common denominator gameshows/sitcoms/soaps etc. Well, we do get a lot of that obviously, but we also get programmes on a wide range of things which appeal only to minority interests, ie it would be possible to have both shows on BBQ and Sudanese quisine, just as it is possible now to have both Eastenders and Question Time.

I think point of the OP is that tv shows are averse to showing or discussing homosexuality due to audiences being uncomfortable with it. What I'd say to that is that what gets put on tv is just a reflection of attitudes in society in general, that it's essentially just because lots of people (homophobes) are still uncomfortable with it irl. Buut there are actually way more gay characters and discussion of homosexuaity on tv than ever before and I'd expect this to carry on increasing in line with changing attitudes in society re homosexuality.

20. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cis hetero make out = :thumbsup:

Anyone else = :eek:

Oh, for both cis and trans. Gay and straight. Wanna see double standards?

[​IMG]

I hate double standards.