1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people like sports?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Techno Kid, May 16, 2014.

1. Techno Kid

Yeahhhh... :3
    Also why does it seem like it's mostly a boy thing?

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The "boy thing" I suspect is strictly a result of socialization.

For me, it provides a means of escaping daily life. Much like reading a book or watching a movie.

3. Sarcastic Luck

I've known many women that like sports.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of women here support football teams - even if they do not actively follow football. It's kind of the thing to do - pick a team and support. My mother and sister support Manchester United. My female cousins support the rugby team Castleford Tigers (rugby is like American football - without the padding and helmets).

Not for me though - really boring sport IMO. In fact, I find all sports boring to watch. I enjoy partaking in them though, and play football every weekend, and tennis occasionally - great ways to keep in shape.

#4 imnotreallysure, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  5. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find them to be entertaining to watch and compete in. Also, they help to keep you healthy, and you can usually find some hot guys playing whatever sport you watch.:grin:

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's exciting, it's a way of forming identity and community, it's entertaining, it's part of our culture, and sometimes the athletes are hot.

7. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose it also depends a bit in what you mean by liking sports as there is a difference between liking to watch them and liking to do sports.

For example, there are very few sports I like to watch. I'd much rather have ago and do them. Especially if they involve fighting someone :slight_smile:

On the other hand I've known lots of people that love watching sports but would never take part in them.

Happy days :slight_smile:

8. confuseduser99

I know, right? I never liked sports growing up as a kid, which made people tease me. I have no hand-eye coordination as well. I guess that's one of my "gay stereotypes"...

I occasionally like to watch some sports, like the big games. I also like watching the Olympics. Other then that, I'm not a sports guy.

9. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Enjoyment.

I wouldn't class myself as sporty but mainly because I didn't like the that fact that I was forced to play football in school, No choice. But there's still time to get into a sport that I'd like (Maybe Swimming) .... :grin:

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have no real interest in watching sports, and can't quite understand the fascination others have. I also don't understand why people get so emotionally wrapped up in a given team half the time. To each their own, I guess.

The only extended interest I've had is watching a local diving coach work with divers during open hours at the school pool. I do think I like watching divers, but not to the point of a sport (i.e. who wins, who gets points, etc, etc). It is also fun watching this coach work.

---------- Post added 16th May 2014 at 11:59 AM ----------

Interesting question, and I'd be curious to hear the answer.

One thought: sports might get crammed down boys' throats so hard that it's the only interest they are allowed to have. But perhaps I'm cynical.

11. thekillingmoon

Are we talking about watching sports or playing sports? For me watching sports on tv is pretty boring, I'd rather be the one playing. When I was in school I loved volleyball, we had some tournaments and it was always fun. I guess, you get an adrenaline rush from it.

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Correction:

I should have said:

I have no real interest in playing or watching sports.

The one exception to "playing" is with swimming and diving. I swim off and on for exercise, and do tend to read the articles "100 Simple Ways to Improve Your Freestyle". I spent a fair amount of time in the late 1990s trying to learn the basics of diving, although I never got very far.

But...I really don't have any interest in either as an actual sport. That is, competing against someone else. Finding out who wins. Etc. Etc. Etc.

13. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Something that you like doing. And I wouldn't say it's mainly a guy thing. It might be advertised as that, but it's not really. It's all media.
    I did dance, gymnastics, figure skating, and competitive swimming growing up. Swimming was the one I enjoyed the most and was involved in the longest. Helps keep you happy and healthy :slight_smile:

14. 7eye

7eye Guest

I'm a guy, and I've just been way more interested in tech than sports, although I was kinda surrounded more by tech than basketballs when I was young.

15. Weekender

I love sports! Playing or watching, either is fine with me. It might just be ingrained into me though, since I started when I was around 4 or 5 and staying fit is important to my family. Either way, I haven't found a sport that I don't like watching (either on TV or live).

As for the real 'why', I'm not sure. Sometimes it's for the adrenaline rush, sometimes it's just for the sake of competition or testing limits. There's just something I find incredibly fun in sports.

16. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    wrestling =P

17. itsonlyrelative

[YOUTUBE]ImW73w64MlM[/YOUTUBE]
    I love sports, whether I am coaching them or playing them. Football, Soccer, Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Softball..They are all awesome and it is best to just full out avoid me if you don't like sports during the Olympics

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do think there is a guy bias with sports in general. The "king" sport in high schools is generally football, which is dominated by boys. Professional teams (like football) that seem to me to draw the most attention are played with male athletes.

But...the situation is a lot better than it once was. It is definitely hugely better for girls and women to play something. At one time, girls sports programs in schools were often virtually non-existent. Now there are opportunities, even if the sports don't necessarily draw the attention that the football team draws. Then, there probably are many boys playing, say, soccer and wondering why no one cares about their team, no matter how much work they do...

19. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to find sports as a catharsis method. Playing rugby and smashing some random bloke with my shoulder did relieve some tension.

Although now I have better methods.

20. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sports men are gorgeous