1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being gay in ancient Greece?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, May 16, 2014.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you think it would have been like?

I suppose much of it would also depend on your social class/status; wealthy, free, soldier, slave.

But it seems like it could have been quite fun, all in all, especially given it would be an entirely pre-Christian era, without the sexual guilt such religions would bring.

2. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Alexander the Great was rumoured to be at least bi. I dont think it was frowned upon so much as it has been in recent times. Dam Christians for ruining everything.

3. itsonlyrelative

#3 itsonlyrelative, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  4. DeliriousMess

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel like they would've been more open to it in that age. The whole opposition to it really came once the big religions started growing in power, or atleast it seemed that way.

5. Anonymouse7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read about this a while ago, I don't think that the Greeks were bothered about sexuality as much as they were bothered about gender roles, and older man would marry a younger woman, so in a same sex relationship one person would have to change their gender role, which wasn't considered a particularly good thing in Greek culture.

6. awesomeness

In Ancient Greece it was important to preserve your "manhood". So even though it didn't matter which gender you had sex with, your sexual partner had to be someone younger, more "feminine" and of lower social status than yourself. And of course, a bottom.

As soon as a guy got older and more manly-looking, it wasn't socially acceptable for him to take the passive role in sex anymore.

#6 awesomeness, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014