1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"What if God was among us?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gates, May 16, 2014.

1. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or more precisely, if a prophet were walking among us today, what do you think that they would work toward? What wisdom might they have for us?

Discuss. :slight_smile:

2. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Which god? Are we talking Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Mars, ares, FSM, hades.....

Mankind has invented so many, you need to be more specific..

Happy days :slight_smile:

3. Hexagon

I don't believe in god or prophets, so any answer I give is hypothetical. My answer is a question: which god? Is god malevolent or benevolent? I have to know the nature of the deity before I can say what its prophets will do.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I hope God (be it the God of Christianity or A N Other) would put an end to some of the dreadful :***: that gets directed towards LGBT people and other minority groups in the name of religion.

I'd hope said God would be benevolent and help us work towards justice and peace.

5. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I meant the God of Abrahamic faiths. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

"Stop killing each other you daft motherfuckers" or something to that effect

7. Hexagon

There are many interpretations of that god. Is he malevolent or benevolent?

8. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Benevolent.

9. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Look, damn it, I'm real. See? Now you can stop being an atheist.

10. Hexagon

Then I'd imagine his prophets would say something along the lines of "stop being complete assholes in god's name" and "stop reading the old testament, that was a malevolent imposter". Oh, and "god just gave everyone on the planet basic needs like food, shelter, safety, etc. And human rights. See, god is omnipotent, and doesn't need a prophet to do his work, so I'll be off now."

11. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they were intelligent they would do nothing because nobody would listen to them.

And I can choose to be an atheist even if I was standing face to face with a deity. I can choose not to follow, believe, or help them.

12. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it was the abrahamic god then oh dear, I'd be pretty worried. If you read books like the Torah or bible, you can see that god is completely evil. He is jealous and capricious and takes life without a second thought. If those books are also inspired by him, then that god is also a endorses misogyny and slavery.

If he walked amongst us, I would want nothing to do with him. If anything, he should be put in trial for crimes against humanity.

13. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

You took the words right out of my mouth you awesome individual :slight_smile:

14. Hexagon

Yes, I was thinking this. I wonder what the charges would be.

An obvious count would be the actions of his followers. But I suppose that would depend on whether he ordered the actions, or whether his intent was assumed, and he did nothing to correct their assumptions. Even then, it would be pretty bad, maybe negligence at the very least.

Next would be natural disasters. I'd caution against punishing him for that, working under the assumption that they were the result of physics. However, if it transpired that he directly interfered to cause these disasters, then that would certainly be a crime against humanity.

Failing any modern day charges, the old testament is rife with genocidal orders, misogynistic rules leading to millennia of suffering and punishments that amount to murder in almost every case.

So yeah, I think we could get him on something. If he were to argue that the old testament is a misinterpretation, or forgery, then that would pretty much accomplish our aims anyway.

So what about sentencing?

15. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry guys! I was really hoping for this to be a positive thread not just people speaking against faith. I respect that everyone is entitled to their opinions but if you aren't wanting to consider the question, it just seems anti-religious... :frowning2:

16. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have considered the question and my answers are honest. I'm not stating my opinions out of some baseless spite. The abrahamic god character really isn't a very good or moral one and if' for the sake of argument, he was real and the stories were true and it came down as a man, he would have a hell of a lot to answer for.

This isn't religion bashing. This is an honest assessment of its character and actions as portrayed in the so called holy books.

17. Aquilo

Let's see..

Assuming:
    The worst crime is causing death.
    God is omnipotent -> God is directly responsible for all deaths (even natural ones) on earth.
    God is not omnipotent, but designed all life -> God is directly responsible for designing life, so that it has to die, therefore god is still responsible for all deaths on earth.

Conclusion: The easiest measure to trial God, would be by counting all deaths God has caused.

Assuming:
    If all life on earth would be spread around equally it would form a biofilm of 5*10^-3m thick.
    Most life consists of bacteria and algae.
    The average size of those micro-organisms is around 10^-12 m3
    The average lifespan of bacteria and algae is around 1/100 year.
    Surface area of earth is 510.072.000 km2 ~ 5*10^14 m2
    Life on earth has existed for: 3.5*10^9 years
    Life on earth has existed for (for people who take the bible literally: 4000 years

Calculation
    Volume of total life currently living: 5*10^-3 m*5*10^14 m2=2.5*10^12 m3
    Total organisms living right now: 2.5*10^12 m3/10^-12 m3=2.5*10^24
    Living beings killed each year: 2.5*10^24/(1/100 year)=2.5*10^26 deaths/year
    Total deaths (scientific): 8.75*10^35 = 875 DECILLION DEATHS
    Total deaths (bible literally): 10^30 = 1 NONILLION DEATHS

Conclusion: God has been guilty of causing between 1 nonillion and 875 decillion deaths and countless other crimes. (May be a few orders of magnitude more or less, since this is a crude estimation)

Proposed verdict: Having to life each creatures life that has existed since the creation of life and feel their suffering.

Mitigating circumstances: All the joy etc. that all those creatures have had in their lives.

18. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not just about the deaths but also about the cruelty inflicted upon the world. Like apparently drowning everyone except one man and his family. This includes drowning innocent children. Or perhaps the plagues of Egypt. There are so many instances of cruelty but let's go to the worst.
    The idea of hell. Infinite excruciating punishment for the finite and inconsequential crime of non belief. There we have the epitome of evil.

Luckily, none of that is real..

19. Slothus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He wouldn't give a shit about people being atheists, Jews, Wicca or whatever the fuck. The whole message that the Bible and other holy books try to get across is to not be dicks to each other and 'love thy neighbor'. And if someone is following that it should be enough for Him.

20. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry, but if you read them page for page, that's simply not true. Just one example is that the bible clearly endorses slavery (as mentioned in exodus and never refuted by Jesus). I would argue that owning other human beings as property is being a bit of a dick.

Also, one of the key tenants of Christianity for example, is it doesn't matter what actions you do as Jesus died for your sins and so as long as you accept him and are saved, what you do to others really doesn't matter. It's called scapegoating and so you can be as big a dick as you like.