1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight men and fashion?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 741852963, May 17, 2014.

1. 741852963

One of the stereotypes straight people have about gay men is that they are particularly well-dressed or even flamboyantly dressed. If anything I think its the other way round!

Now there seems to be a definite "uniform" straight guys near me wear in summer. Flip-flops, very short-shorts or tight denim shorts, tie-dye vest-tops or pink deep v-neck tshirts, neon plastic frame sunglasses and a deep tan (which can't all be natural as we really don't get enough sun here!).In summary they tend to dress (to my eyes) very flamboyantly, lots of bright colours and skin shown off, almost like peacocks walking round.

I just think its quite funny or ironic, that straight people often conform more to their stereotypes of gay people than actual gay people! :grin:

2. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That seems to be amazingly true. You know that kind fo moment when you see straight guys running around in pink t-shirts... Truth be told, straight people are a lot more fashion-conscious than I am, but that's not a very difficult thing for anyone to do. I just find it to be a waste of my time honestly, and not to mention, waste of money. Clothing won't help you lose weight, or become a better person.

3. 741852963

Sounds like me. My approach to clothes shopping is usually as follows:
    1. Run into clothes shop
    2. Find whatevers cheapest and looks like it will fit
    3. Try it on to make sure its wearable
    4. Purchase and go home
    5. Be relieved that its all over for now

"Retail therapy" it ain't! I remember once someone found this horrible baggy, beige jumper and immediately came up to me going "is this yours", when I replied no she said "ahwell, it just looks like something you would wear thats all". :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Since that eye-opener I've "tried" to be a bit more fashionable but I feel its a losing battle!

4. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wonder if there's a difference between "out" and "closeted" fashion sense, or rather fashion expression? i.e. people avoid drawing attention to them or "looking gay"

5. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah I went to Uni and was like wow all these guys are gay...turns out it's fashion haha. Generally I'm finding the more fashion conscious tend to be straight to be honest, I like fashion but not so much as most straight guys I know. I do find fashionable people more attractive though; skinny jean guys yummy. Gay guy fashion tends to be in two courts; moderate, not unfashionable but not really the epitome of fashion either 2. Extremely camp; pink everywhere, shorts that women would suit better, animal toned jumpers (I actually quite like guys like this too)