1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it amuse you when people assume you're straight?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, May 18, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    It never fails to amuse me when people assume I'm straight. I know that I'm "straight looking", but it still amuses me when people mention my future husband. What doesn't amuse me is when people assume I'm straight after I've told them that I'm not straight.

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I don't find it amusing. I hate it.
    But sometimes I don't like to say anything so I have to live with it.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love it when they make a fool of themselves talking about queerness like it's an abstract concept with no practical reality, then find out that someone queer is with them and listening to their stupidity.

4. Techno Kid

Most people don't think I'm straight. XD

5. AlamoCity

Well, I've only had a couple of friends suspect I was gay (and it was only because I would never talk about "hot girls" and would sometimes catch me looking at "hot guys" in the college food court :lol:slight_smile:. Most others just assume I'm straight or don't even bring private life into the conversation.

Does it amuse me that many view and treat me as a straight guy? Not really, though it is interesting to hear them spew borderline homophobic comments in front of me assuming I'm just another straight guy and having them backpedal once I come out to them (best friends loved making homophobic remarks but have toned it down quite a bit after I came out). Maybe I should start wearing a rainbow tshirt :lol:.

#5 AlamoCity, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  6. XRay

I find it amusing when my extended family talks with me about my future husband, next to my parents who know I'm into girls

7. Daximus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Happens all the time. I just blow it off and carry on. It is at times slightly amusing.

8. LiquidSwords

Eh, it can do, especially if I am with other people who I am out to we'll laugh about it.

But mostly no, just reminds me how much I wish I could be open about it with whoever is saying it. And when people make homophobic comments thinking I'll go along with it because I'm masculine looking or something, no it's not funny.

9. tulipinacup

When I was younger I was more concerned of people thinking I'm gay because they used to make fun of me. Now that I am older there have been girls from school having a crush on me which I am truly flattered but they all end up hating me because I get really cold and ignore them.

10. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it really amuses me, nor, to be honest, does it really bother me. The only real instances of this I encounter are clients where it hasn't yet come up and it tends to be questions about my wife, etc. For the most part they are well meaning. I don't really encounter much homophobia in my day-to-day life.

11. Emulator

I would let them talk about it for as long as they want to while I turn aside and laugh to myself.

12. King

Its only amusing when others who know you are gay here people mentioning hooking me up with girls.

Apart from that it is not amusing, To some people I have never given an indication that I was gay so there's nothing wrong with them assuming I am straight.

13. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes because I feel safer about people who shouldn't know what's case. It means I'm doing a good job at hiding from people who'd use this information to potentially ruin my life. I'm not going to try to convince them that "Oh I'm gay please accept it." Some people just can't be convinced.

14. AKTodd

Sometimes, but it depends on the situation. Most of the time I'm fairly indifferent to what others may assume about me.

Todd

15. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very much so.

Although I don't care for it at the same time, so it's more like a contemptuous amusement.

16. GurtieP

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't really bother me. When people say something about me having a girlfriend, I just casually inform them that I like men. If they keep going on, however, I get irritated. Much sass may ensue.

17. thelamekidd

Out Status:
    Some people
    I find it amusing when my family describes my future husband..... I just think to myself, "why can't I have a future wife?"

18. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Yeah, though I seem to encounter a comparable amount of people who assume I'm gay, or at least queer. Probably few of them assume I love wearing pretty dresses and heels. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unfortunately you're right in that people do seem to assume I'm straight. I don't find it very amusing though. Especially as I'm not out, I feel quite awkward when someone puts me on the spot about a good looking girl.

I don't really want to out myself there and then, but I don't want to give an opinion how a girl looks then regret it later when I do come out and be seen as dishonest.

20. PurpleGrey

I dunno, I feel uncomfortable when people assume I'm straight in conversation. Like if they talk about boyfriends and stuff. Even my mom will now and again, even though I told her I only like guys physically, not romantically.