1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Authors/Artists

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by trauma, May 18, 2014.

1. trauma

Just wondering how many of you here are poets, writers and artists? Do you feel that being queer shapes your artistic expressions?

2. Hexagon

I'm a writer, primarily, but I also do a bit of drawing, mostly things from my books. I used to be terrible at drawing, but now I'm actually pretty good. Apparently practice is helpful :slight_smile: I also do a fair bit of digital drawing, like this very detailed map I made for my book.

Yes, I suspect queerness does have something to do with it. My characters aren't all heterosexual for one, and I don't confine them to gender roles much. But being queer is also another perspective on life, and I don't see how it could fail to shape said experiences.

Are you a creator, trauma?

3. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm Artistic, I don't think my Orientation plays a part in my artwork.
    I almost always draw females even though I'm not attracted to them, I think the female body has a unique beauty.

4. trauma

Thanks for sharing, Hexagon!! Yes, I do a bit of writing now and then! I find writing very liberating

5. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

I write short stories and initially my orientation had no relation to it but recently I've felt like it's creeping more and more into what I do.

So maybe in my case it does influence.

6. trauma

That's cool!! Thanks for sharing

---------- Post added 18th May 2014 at 10:46 AM ----------

Would love to read your stories!!

7. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Poetry and a little art. Mostly dark stuff from a depressed mind.

8. Hexagon

Thats cool. What kind of stuff do you write?

9. DeliriousMess

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm an artist. In some ways I think it does and other's I don't. I mostly find myself drawing females, only until recently I started drawing males more frequently. The reason I say it does somewhat is most the time those males are... scantly clothed :icon_wink.

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'm a writer. Been a while since I've had any major projects though. But yeah. For me, writing was always a bit of an outlet. I had a lot of anxiety and identity issues growing up so being able to write was a huge release and means of kind of figuring things out. I dunno if it specifically has to do with being queer but I know I was always attracted to writing personas I wish I had- young males.

11. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

<--- Ex-artist. Being queer maybe has an effect on that, maybe doesn't.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am ashamed at my lack of productivity, but I am an amateur author. My queer leanings do influence my writing, but not necessarily all for the better. A lot of what I feel like writing ends up as empty indulgence, so I have to be careful when writing about GSM elements. Either that or I should bite the bullet and call it romance/erotica lol.

I am in the process of writing a supernatural story with a gay protagonist though, and I don't think it sucks so there's that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Gen

Gen

I'm a novelist primarily. Short stories are the bane of my existence; though poetry can be fun. I don't feel that I need to elaborate after the ages I have been on this site. I've spoken about writing an endless amount of times.

Do you feel that being queer shapes your artistic expressions?

Not dramatically. There is a very prominent gay character in the current project I'm working on, but he is also an antagonist. Though I feel that he is one of those antagonist that you can't help but love. It's a very dark fantasy, so romance is hardly a factor. Aside from his past relationship and the main character's, there are only maybe one or two side romances that arise. Discounting the ones that don't come to a tragic end...

14. TheUglyBarnacle

Ι'd like to consider myself an artist since I spend hours drawing almost everyday. I do think that my drawings have been influenced by my being queer but that probably comes from the fact that I have a very different mindset and life experience (however little it is, so far) to most cishets. I think Hexagon put it most eloquently:

15. blond

I'm a musician, and i also draw (although i'm not very good at it) plus i write songs which usually has something to do with what i'm feeling. So does the fact that i like men and that i'm possibly genderfluid affect my writing? In someways it does but i wouldn't say it affects it all the time.

16. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I love to draw/paint, write anything. I love to do anything creative.
    I have no idea if being gay affects this in any way.
    Usually I don't draw rainbows:grin:

17. Foxface

I'm trying to write but I won't call myself a writer

18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm an artist, and I mainly write script styled things since I view myself more of a comic book creator.

I don't know if my sexuality shaped my work. Most of my artsy friends are straight.
    I can't even say my story I'm working on now has any 'gay' characters, but I also can't say that any are 'straight' either. I've never been a fan of the romance genre personally, and It's kept completely out of my work. So sexuality for me is just a trivia/behind the scenes thing.

19. LaEsmeralda

I love drawing, and making things from beads and felt. Any sort of crafty stuff that doesn't actually involve learning a skill (as opposed to like crochet and knitting which I could never get a hang of)

I'd love to be a writer. I have an idea in my head for a novel but anytime I put anything on the page I scrap it. I also like to write fanfiction :icon_redf Sorry. Lol.

20. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

IMO, there's something disingenuous to me about claiming one's self as an "artist". How do you know that what you produce is art? You could just be a charlatan, a smoke-and-mirrors trickster. To me, calling one's self an artist is akin to placing yourself on an equal plane with Beethoven or Caravaggio or Tolstoy and I don't see how anyone can possibly cherish the hubris to do such a thing. I've been a published cartoonist, have won awards (albeit school awards) with my writing and impressed distinguished charcoal artists with my work in the medium. But I would never presume to call myself an artist. I just do things I do and sometimes they're pretty good. But can't see it as art or what I am as an artist.

Note that the above paragraph comprises my thoughts as they apply to me. Not at all saying others are phonies for claiming themselves as artists. I wish I could have the confidence to say the same about myself.