1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

offer to march at pride? should i?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bolt35, May 18, 2014.

1. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well it isn't entirely an offer but more of an voluntarily chance to march at pride parade. i've have been a bit vocal about not agreeing with Pride Parade. should i take the chance or not? what do you guys think?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you don't agree with it, why would you join? On the other hand, there really is not much harm, and maybe things will turn out to be positive, including making new friends.

3. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

If you have nothing to lose, why not? Like Resu said, you might make some friends. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

4. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with Resu. It could be fun. If you're against it though, then don't do it. I have never been to one and I don't really plan on going to one, but the only ones I don't like are the ones that make us look really stereotypical and stupid. I'm not sure if they are all like that or not though, but it could be fun.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am not all the way out by a long shot, so any of those are out of the question. You need to do what is best for you.

6. mangotree

Personally, I rarely say no to a learning experience and Pride Parades and Queer Festivals are definitely learning experiences.
    Even if you don't fully agree with it, it could be a mind opening experience.
    As different as LGBTIQ people are to each other, these parades are a great way to find common ground and a good excuse to be a bit wild.
    I also went to my first Pride Parade when I was 22, it was a great experience.

If you're talking about NYC Pride in June, it's one of the biggest in the world. I've never had the opportunity to go, but definitely would given the chance.

It's up to you though.

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should do it. I've been in quite a few parades over the years and it's always been a wonderful and memorable experience. If you're opposed to them, you're opposed to them. Who knows, maybe after participating in one you'll feel different. Maybe your "respectable" presence will be what tips the scales.:lol: And at the very least you can rest assured that you not going won't prevent it from happening anyway. Go wave at some folks, meet some nice folks and have a good day.

8. Harve

Well I recommend actually going to a Pride Parade to see for yourself what they're really like before you bash them! I'd be interested in what you think about them once you've actually been to one.

9. Hexagon

Yeah, you should go, really. Make up your mind once you're properly informed.

10. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The very tame Pride Parade around here has a lot of supportive groups showing a presence, and very few of the flamboyantly acting individuals you would see in a similar event in San Francisco, so anyone gay or straight might be in the parade without feeling awkward or confirming their orientation as gay and out. I actually think that is a good thing as it tends to represent being gay as part of the mainstream, and general community acceptance. This is notable because this is Florida, not California, and we do have our more than adequate share of rednecks here and there, particularly in the state capitol building.

11. Higs

If you don't like it, then don't go.. I don't really see the parades as a thing either and if a chance happened to go I wouldn't change my mind.. I have my beliefs about those parades and nothing is really going to change them.
    Or go if you aren't as stubborn as me :grin:

12. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    haha alright thanks guys, i appreciate sharing your thoughts