1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is ur opinion on gossip?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosepetal, May 18, 2014.

1. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it bad? Entertaining ? Fun?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well if were talking about someone I can't stand then yes but if I like them I'll just be dead silent.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like it. People should question the likelihood of something being true before passing it on.

4. Monika the Diva

I'll listen but i won't get involved, normally at work if i hear gossip, I keep it to myself.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gossip is bad. Any time you're tolerating somebody saying something really negative about someone else, there's a good chance that same person can or has said equally negative things about you to other people.

Entertaining gossip reflects badly on you. If someone sees you in a group of gossipers, they assume you're a gossip too. You can earn the ire of other people, since they think "maybe you were talking about me behind my back like the others."

That's what happened to me. There was a group of people complaining about a coworker of mine. I was listening to them. Coworker saw me listening to them. He and I used to be somewhat warm to each other, and now he's cold to me, and he displays "professional courtesy." Sad thing is, I didn't say anything about him whatsoever.

Doesn't really matter though. When people were trashing him, I didn't defend him, and I didn't walk away from the conversation.

At some point, if you entertain gossip (or worse, participate yourself), it will come back to bite you, romantically, personally, and professionally.

6. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gossip is bad but why do ppl do it? I stood up for my friend bc her other friend was gossiping about her and she took her friend's side and not mine I got stepped on so what do i do?

7. Hatsune Miku

gossip is pretty dumb imo

8. Monika the Diva

I agree gossip sucks but if you are in the same room as people gossiping among themselves and just pretend that they are not in the room and don't speak to them you learn a lot. Because i am officially transitioning i chose to ostracize myself from the rest of the office during lunch.

9. snazzybrat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Gossiping... how do you define it? Is it gossiping when someone I really hate pisses me off and I confide about it to one friend? Does gossiping have to be factual or entertaining?

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I avoid gossip. I do like "commiseration" with friends, especially when we have bad professors, but I would much prefer talking about non-work or non-personal things.

Pret Allez is totally right about associating with gossipers. They're generally negative people who might seem friendly in front of you but would stab your back if they got a chance. Luckily, I don't give them a chance, and normally I eat lunch alone or with other random friends who I see at the cafeteria. It's actually quite nice to not be with the same people every day. Even though I'm an introvert, I feel I'm well connected.

11. person57

It's stupid.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's too high school for me...I find it annoying.

13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The line between gossip and getting the news first is rather blurry sometimes. It is kind of ambiguous.

14. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well...the definition of gossip is casual or unconstrained conversation about something typically involving tidbits that aren't true; therefore, gossip can either be constructive or destructive. I'm quite a fan of constructive gossip; however, not a fan of destructive gossip. The keyword in there is typically. Gossip can (rarely tho) build someone up quickly as it tears them down.

That's my take on gossip though.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I take everything with a grain of salt anyway. But I don't mind gossip in one aspect. I'm not listening to what you say, but how you say it, and how much. This is usually all I need to know not to slip up on any secrets, and to not make any heavy investment in a friendship. Now, if this is workplace related, then I keep it strictly by the book. Simple questions, yes and no, and nothing casual. If it's casual, it's an instant walk off then.

I've avoided many problems like this. People may not like that you won't pick sides or gossip, but they can't say you were without any kind of honor or respect.

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gossip is healthy. I've read quite a lot on gossip, and it's one of humanity's greatest bonding methods. Gossip also includes personally important things as well as frivolous things, and probably typifies most conversations. After all, we don't all deliver entirely factual and researched oral reports for regular communication.

I think it rather vain and almost stupid to think that not partaking in gossip makes you intellectually or morally superior.

Gossip is not defined as inherently malicious, which some people don't take in when they think of gossip. It has a negative connotation, but it encompasses more. If you're defining gossip as meant to harm and spread lies, then yes, of course it's bad, but gossip includes far more than that.

17. AlamoCity

One other thing is that "gossip" is considered to be the domain of women and it has a negative connotation for men (unless they're gay and, in that case, "it's expected" :dry:slight_smile:.

I don't mind taking part in "gossip," so long as it's not malicious or demeaning. When you think about it, most conversations do involve some sort of gossip or unverified facts and speculation. I think humans are hardwired for gossip in the sense that we have powerful supercomputers that can make connections, reach conclusions, and form opinions on very little information. It is, perhaps, the greatest hallmark of our evolved status :roflmao:.

18. tulipinacup

To be honest some gossip I hear helps me in one some way. From where I used to work at, I hear a lot of gossiping with every co-worker and it does give me an eye-opener on what kind of people I am working at. I use these "information" to either protect myself or get to know their nature.

19. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I think it's harmful when it concerns a topic that's stupid or not really anybody's business. Otherwise I don't mind. I usually listen or participate in a pretty objective manner and don't let it change my opinion about someone unless I know for myself if it's true.