1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my gaydar died...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RENThead, Aug 9, 2008.

1. RENThead

i never used to have a problem with my gaydar (i wouldnt suspect anyone of being gay, if they werent) - tho i thought some people were straight when they werent...

anyway, the girl i have been crushing on at work for the last couple of months, i found out a couple of days ago is married with a 9 year old boy. (i didnt realise she was that much older than me - im only 19, which would make her at least 27-8 ish)

she always said partner instead of boyfriend/husband, she is really not girly, i remember her saying something about her girlfriend when we were talking about my new haircut.
    shes always touches me when she talkes to me, and call's me babe (or fi - she is the only person i dont mind calling me fi)

i met her son today - he is addorable, it just kinda.. rubbed it in even more.

i guess i just needed to admit that i got it really wrong.
    tho i still cant wait to work with her this week...

2. Trumpetplyer23

Maybe she's married to a woman? Do you know for sure she's married to a dude?

3. RENThead

its not legal here... so i wouldnt think they would be saying 'married'

it seams everyone else knew she was married, other than me.
    (and i usually look at fingers aswell..)

4. Trumpetplyer23

Hm. I don't know then...

Does she ever wear a wedding/engagment ring?

5. lexie

I'm confused as to why she'd say something about a girlfriend in convo if she is married to a guy. we wouldnt say 'girlfriend' here (in the uk) as a term for a friend, only a girlfriend, maybe in Australia its common as a term for friends, is it?
    anyway if someone was saying 'partner' or 'they' instead of 'he' or 'she' in convo about their other half, id have read something into that.

maybe just to be sure, work her husband into an innocent convo, and see how she responds.

6. sdc91

In the US, it's common for women to say girlfriend for one of their friends who's a woman... no clue why.

7. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, women call their female friends "girlfriends" even if there's no connection and no relationship. Males are forbidden from having "boyfriends", though, lest they become the subject of ridicule.

8. RENThead

i wont see her again for a couple of days (i have sunday, tuesday off - she has monday, wednesday)
    but i will look for a ring.

im thinking that she meant girlfriend as a friend, (that is common in australia)

ill bring up her partner next time im talking to her, and see how it goes... im actually inviting them out for dinner, so i can ask then.

i think it was the talk of 'partner' that got me thinking... because i know i always say partner, and im good at not mentioning he or she.