1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People thinking you're the opposite gender online

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, May 19, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    It seems like a lot of people on the internet think I'm a guy. Even on this website. I guess I have a boyish avatar and username.

2. AlamoCity

I've never had that happen; then again, EC is the only forum I belong to.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Happens to 1 of my friends all the time because he has an ambiguous name but it's funny cause he acts/is completely masculine. It actually happened so often on the forum we went to that it became a running joke. Other places where he used different names and even irl once it still happened. Come to think of it I even thought he was a girl before we met. Couldn't explain it if you asked me. Just another cute example of how gender really means nothing I guess.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your username and your avatar are not inherently gendered. It's only because people default to masculinity when they don't have proof of femininity.

EC is my only forum, and it's pretty damned obvious that I'm a guy, though I think that before I had my face as my avatar, people never assumed I was a girl if they didn't read the information below the avatar (again because people default on it)

5. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think on this website there is proof of femininity. My gender is right underneath my username and avatar.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When someone takes a cursory glance at the avatar and username and doesn't read, I mean.

7. garudamon11

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For me that doesn't happen. My usernames and behavior during the game is very typical so no there's nothing hinting I'm gay unless someone talks personally to me post-game, even then I'm not really in a hurry to tell that I'm gay as gamers can still be homophobic.. and often are.
    My friend (irl) has a really convincing female voice, he says he used it to get free games from random people online who thought he really is a girl... some people are just lucky..

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My actual other online user names are certainly not feminine... but characters online in mmos are always female.

9. Hexagon

I never really had people think I was female. Even before I transitioned.

10. Cass

People on iFunny thought I was a guy because my Avatar and username were both Gir from invader Zim. Didn't really care but I would correct them

11. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that the "registration" process for EC should really include a few mandatory fields, and don't know why some people only fill out one or two of them, then ask for help leaving out their age, general location, out status, biological sex, orientation etc. which would help a lot in composing a response to what they post. Sometimes, in the case of "trans" members I don't even know whether they are men identifying as women, or vice-versa, or if they are in the process of changing genders. Sometimes the avatars seem out of sync with the listed data too. Then there are the many different versions orientation labels, some of which I have never even heard of before, that I have to go look up on Wikipedia to even get some notion of what the poster is trying to say about themselves. Since this forum is completely anonymous, why the heck don't people state what is going on with them clearly, so we can respond better quickly, or at least more to the point?

12. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

It happened a couple times before I knew I was trans. I liked to go on chat sites and 'pretend' I was a boy. I actually had a lot of guys ask for my phone number and Facebook.

I guess it helped I said I was male. I've never been mistaken for a gender unintentionally but since coming out, no one's ever mistaken me for female on sites again.

13. Sarcastic Luck

Interestingly enough, I'd always been ID' as male. Way back when, I played a game and I considered myself female. Kept being called 'he' and it was a predominantly female player base. On a similar game now and I keep getting called 'she', but that's because there seems to be a pervasive thought that guys don't play horse games.

14. Hiems

Same here, except most (not all) of my characters are female too o:

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    On this game I play everyone things I'm a guy because I have sexy pictures of women as my avatar and i have to remind them that I'm a girl all the time , also one which I found insulting is because I'm a very good player some automatically thought i was a guy and said well they don't know any girls that play good their usually weak . :tantrum:

16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

On online games, a lot of people assume I'm a woman because apparently I type like one, whatever that means.

17. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's fairly obvious that I'm male.
    It's unlikely that a girl would call herself "An Gentleman."
    I don't really get misgendered outside of here, either.
    It's probably because I like putting the word "gentleman" in my usernames.

18. Weekender

None of the other sites I'm on have the option to list gender in the profile, and I don't particularly feel like it's important to immediately point out to folks that I'm a girl. So they typically default to believing I'm a guy. It's not a big deal to me and I don't usually correct them, unless it pops up in conversation.

19. C P

C P

This reminds me of an old game I used to play. I often use something to do with my name online on forums and stuff(though it isn't always obvious) but I was playing this online game and I had a kinda ambiguous name; I had made and played as a guy character at some point and after like a year and a half I had swapped my character to girl. For some reason people were convinced I was girl all along. It was kinda amusing I guess.

20. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Lol I wonder