1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisions...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GArchi1992, May 19, 2014.

1. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So next week I'm finishing university forever, due for graduation in July. I'm really excited as it means I can get on with my life and start working full time in Construction, which I absolutely love. However, I'm in a tricky situation, which I haven't really had time to think about recently due to impending deadlines and other commitments. So I was hoping you guys would be able to shed some light on what would be best, for the not too distant future.

Basically: My lease is up on my house in June. I can't currently afford to continue living independently but my job requires me to live in the city as it is a full time position. My parents have mentioned me moving back there, but for me to commute to work it takes a two hour drive, which my employer seems skeptical about. However, I just can't afford to keep living away from home on a pretty low income (due to rise after 12 months experience). There are also no employers closer to my parents house which are currently taking on, otherwise I could have applied there.

So I want to know what I should do, continue working in a job I love but not being able to afford the living costs or move back home and risk growing to hate the commute to work and sacrifice some of my social life? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :grin:

2. Hexagon

Work the job you love, I think. Is there any way you can reduce your expenditure to a more affordable level? Food can be a big saver, and perhaps a smaller and cheaper house/apartment?

3. ProtegeMoi

The commute will wear on you, can you find a roommate in the city and/or take a part time job on top of it?

4. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cheers guys! Hexagon that is fair point, I'll have to have a look at ways in which I can reduce my expenditure.

ProtegeMoi My thoughts entirely. I don't want to end up hating it. My other half and I have mentioned getting a place together, which we would both obviously love to do. He has a good job, which pays well and he can afford his share. Now, I want to be able to input an equal amount into the rent and the bills and the food each month as it is only fair on him. In my opinion it has to be 50/50, despite him telling me not to worry for a few months until I get on my feet.

I'm sure we'll figure something out!!

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A roommate with similar income so that you both are comfortable with the type of accommodations is usually the best solution to cut down living costs. If you could find a gay one, that would be even better, as you could occasionally enjoy community exploration together after work.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there any possibility of moving out of the city, but not so far that you have a two hour commute?