1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How high will you hold your flag up?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by literalmerida, May 19, 2014.

1. literalmerida

And I don't just mean being open about your gender identity/sexual orientation- How far will you go to defend the LBTQ+ community?
    I retort to any homophobic word I hear, and I don't care who calls me what slur, I won't stand down for what I believe in. How about you?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lethal force.

3. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Against me? I use sarcasm.

If someone else is being harassed I'll put them on the ground no matter how hurt I get.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish more people shared Eve's spirit.

5. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's more about my history with self harm and how little I care about my body that'd make me dangerous.

6. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't decided what to do...

But certainly, I do not tolerate any discrimination against others.

7. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Similar for me. It's my history of physical abuse and that I don't care much about the body. I can't say I'd risk my life for others, but I've risked my life to defend my pride. I usually talk people out of a fight. Although sometimes I provoke people before I realise what I've said. Then I'm talking my way out of that...! I put my foot in my mouth for the LBTQ+ community. If I know a person is hateful, it's sometimes difficult to contain myself.

8. timo

I don't tolerate any kind of discrimination and harassment towards gender and/or sexual minorities and I will definitely speak up if offended, no matter who it's coming from.

But I'd never get physical as I'm against any form of violence. I'd rather call the police than get involved in a fight myself.

9. Hexagon

Very. I don't stand for this kind of thing, and I'd defend someone physically if need be.

10. kem

kem

I'm probably too insensitive. It would be nice if I could stand up against all kinds of homophobia, bullying etc. but I just don't care enough >__> Honestly, I've tried placing myself in their situation, but I just can't find the sympathy.

If it gets physical though, I think I might react otherwise. Not sure. I detest all violence.

11. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I won't most of the time. I'd like to say I would, but that would be a lie.

12. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'd certainly argue the case with anyone who had homophobic/biphobic sentiments. Debate and discussion are the best way to educate people and change their mind on an issue.

I wouldn't use violence against people. I think it's a little reprehensible to physically attack someone for having a different point of view, no matter how offensive and disagreeable it may be. If I had a point of view someone else didn't like, I wouldn't expect to be attacked for it. Otherwise I'd be no better than some of these religios extremists who think violence is how you deal with people for not having your same view.

If someone was being physically assaulted, then of course I'd step in. It wouldn't matter if it was homophobic or for any other reason. If someone was just on the other end of verbal abuse, I would step in and join the argument if necessary (say if they were getting very distressed) but would try to prevent it escalating to violence.

I say necessary though as I slso believe that people should try to engage and deal with their own confrontations as that makes you stronger and better equipped to deal with them. If you always fight others battles for them, you can actually be helping to keep them weak and so they will always be a walk over.

So, as you can see. It's a complicated issue which depends on the circumstance.

Happy days :slight_smile:

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends entirely on the situation. If someone is being harassed verbally, I'd be more inclined to ignore it and try to mind my own business, but if a person was being confronted, surrounded or threatened by a group of people, or physically harmed in any way, I would feel compelled to do something in their defence - I absolutely detest it when a bunch of cowardly pricks gang up on a loner and try to push them around - and I absolutely have no qualms getting violent myself if it escalated to that point. I've flown off the handle for a lot less in the past.

#13 imnotreallysure, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  14. LiquidSwords

If me or someone else was being harassed in a physical way I would kick off pretty quickly. I mean hopefully me intervening would stop a fight happening but if it didn't I'd still go.

In terms of someone lgbt being verbally abused, or tbh anyone being verbally abused for no good reason, I'd get involved just the same.

In terms of general homophobic comments I will call people out on them if they're people I know. Strangers I'll probably just roll my eyes unless they're being really out of order.

15. Foxface

I will defend my brothers and sister, but unless physically attacked I will not physically attack back. It does nothing for my cause to beat up or kill someone who is insulting someone

Like I said if they physically attack an LGBT member...or anyone...I will intervene...otherwise I will use words because I dont' see the point in beating up or killing a bigot if they aren't physically harming someone

16. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I mostly agree with Morphim...
    I can't really bring myself to care (unless someone is being violent or uses the word she-male).

17. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Again this varies. If he's bigger than me, I'll think twice. Then a third time. And then decide to just ignore it. But if he's not and/or a girl I'll take my chance. Its about education

18. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, violence must be an absolute last resort, but I would use force to defend another LGBT person who was being attacked/assaulted. I couldn't stand by and see someone having the crap beaten out of them for being gay/bi or trans.

More generally, I will not stand by and let verbal abuse and bullying go unchallenged. Name calling (for any reason) is not on. We need to teach all kids this from a young age.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never seen somebody abused for being gay (only know a handful of GSMs and we must be in a very accepting area), so it's impossible to tell. But in deciding for the future I've got to say I will step in at the first signs of bad treatment of somebody else.

20. Arrow Ace

I'm too afraid to stand up to people I don't know. Though if a family member were to say something offensive on accident then I would call them out on it. One of the people I hang out with is a closed minded bigot who is impossible to argue with but I still try.

If it was just straight guys calling each other gay I try to stay well away from it because those guys a really scary.
    If someone was being harassed I would probably check on them after the thing has occurred. If it was physical harassment I would probably alert a member of the authorities. If they didn't do anything I *might* get involved. ever really been in that position though because where I live is pretty accepting.
    I wish I could say I would get involved but I'm a passive person who prefers trying to change peoples minds instead of just arguing or fighting.