1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why don't adults play?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 741852963, May 20, 2014.

1. 741852963

Now aside from obvious "grownup activites" (sex, recreational drugs/alcohol, clubbing) I've noticed it is kind of taboo for adults to play.

Typically activities such as video gaming, playing in the park, climbing trees and playing certain non-competitive sports are (wrongly) seen by many as something for children, and deemed a sign of immaturity or of "not wanting to grow up" in partaking adults. Even the word "play" carries childish connotations. It is as though society sees a cutoff point where play is no longer necessary for wellbeing, which personally I think is ludicrous given the proven health benefits (both for physical and mental wellbeing).

There also seems to be strange conventions in what is and isn't acceptable for adults. For example, adult men playing golf = perfectly acceptable, adult men playing frisbee golf = immaturity. In my experience there are many for who only ever get the chance to play during "one-off" experiences such as during corporate away-days, team-building days or stag/hen dos which is quite sad really. Now I appreciate modern life can leave people with little time and money but personally I think thats even more of a reason to let off steam. The world would be a better place if we acted like kids every once in a while!

2. Sarcastic Luck

...What are you talking about? The biggest gaming demographic is 20s, but a lot of gamers are in their 30s and 40s. My step-dad is going to be 57 this year and plays video games when he gets the chance to.

Generally, it's because they have things that hey do that they consider fun. Some might paint, fish, go hiking, do photography, etc.

3. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've barely hit adulthood, and I barely play videogames anymore...simply they don't provide me actual results for investing time in them. I'd much rather learn another german word, or make more music or whatever. But actually I'd really like to make a video game more than play one.

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Other than seeing adults swing on swing sets or on the monkey bars, I don't get the impression that adults can't play.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

When it comes to video gaming, a lot of adults do it, including myself- even older ones. There are even games that are targeted toward adults, not all are child-based.

Even for other child activities you described, I would do them and not care what others think.

I love the swing sets :c

6. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Have you been to a convention event?? Its full of adults

7. 741852963

Thats good to hear. :slight_smile:

I still think there are unfortunately a lot of very "repressed" adults who have a preoccupation with appearing professional, grown-up and successful at all times at the expense of having a bit of fun.

8. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cosplay, play video games and Magic the Gathering. I'm 32. They count?

10. photogSIL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am definitely a kid at heart! I'll get on the floor, wrestle around... go to the park and do exactly what the "kids" are doing. And as a matter of fact I just gave up racing quads on a semi pro level. I'm 43 btw

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I play games all the time. video games online games everything .

12. Foxface

bull poopy

I go to the park with my partner all the time. I LOVE climbing the rope tower

13. itsonlyrelative

Adults totally play!

I have seven uncles (all married and grown men in their 40s with kids) that play around constantly and have been since I was a toddler. They launch water fights in the pool and have hilarious joke diving competitions, they play baseball in the yard, swat each other pillows until my grandmother yells at them, and play monster with their kids on every playground we go to.

My stepfather (53) should probably stop cause he keeps breaking his wrist, but he skateboards and loves going laser tagging or paintballing.

My mom will do this little gentle kick on our butts in stores when no one is watching, especially now that we are teenagers and she things that she embarrasses us and she will ride off on the shopping cart. She is also the first one to volunteer to go jump on the trampoline with my siblings and she is 45.

14. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm 33 and I still play video games all the time. I also like to build and play with lego. I also chase my kids around soft play and my son and I have had many an epic lightsaber duel :slight_smile:

I mean, I don't play as much as I used too, you know with working and everything, but I still do when I can. It does help when you have kids though...

Happy days :slight_smile:

15. tscott

I showed horses, played tennis up until I broke my back 2 years ago this month, and played rugby with a group until I was in my early forties. I still sail and swim, go birding, play Cards Against Humanity.

At the same time we do slow down and playtime is limited. I've 2 kids that still need to be driven to various lessons, camps, and games. We take on more resposibilities.

Why don't we dress like kids? The simple answer we grow up. Would you want your broker to look dress like a cast member of "Godspell"? Maybe you would, but I don't think I could take him seriously.

We still have fun...or...at least, some of us do.

16. 741852963

Your family sounds awesome! :eusa_clap

17. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I personally disagree on video games, in fact a lot of those are designed in a way that kids wouldn't understand them, or would even be upset by them. However as I grew up, my interests shifted from swingsets to things like the creation of art, and studying topics that interest me. I believe this is because your brain matures as you grow, and the simpler things in life stop being capable of entertaining you.

It's worth noting that my mom's over 50, and she loves to play card and board games.

18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree on video games. There are adult rated video games, and even the ones aimed at children will frustrate the hell out of them. I grew up on Super Mario Bros and got no where when I was young; it frustrated me. As an adult, I feel like I can actually get into it and understand it.

19. KazTastic

As of 2012, the average age of gamers in Australia was 32, with 75% of them over 18.

Yeah, gaming is totally only for kids.

Also, put a bunch of uni students on a playground, and they will probably have more fun than the kids it was designed for.

20. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I thought this would be more about how kids spontaneously decide to chase and play with each other in circles around stuff and hide in stores or lobbies and stuff and honestly at age 22 I would still like to play hide-and-seek and devil dog/dont fall in the lava floor and tag and stuff if I wasn't like.... too big and get stared at haha, I still remember hiding in clothing racks at Wal-Mart all the time and the urge still exists but I know I'd get in trouble for it now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: