1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adult role models?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AmiBee, May 20, 2014.

1. AmiBee

How many of you teen/young adult people have LGBTQ adult role models in your life? This year, I have been out as a middle school teacher and have helped out with my school's newly formed GSA.
    A number of my queer (not straight students) have checked in regularly with me in many small ways. I feel privileged that they can talk to me and hear about life as a queer adult. I think, and hope, it helps. Anyone else have thoughts on positive adult role models?

2. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi AmiBee, just have to say you're doing something brilliant! I wish my school had had someone to talk to!

I haven't had any LGBTQ role models in my life, if we're not talking about celebrities. My family didnt know anyone gay and none of the teachers were out. It's so important to have those role models though! They show (at least celebrities have showed to me) that everything gets better and there is a wonderful life ahead, just have to struggle thru teenager years.

In my school no one talked about gays, which was a shame really. Like in health education classes it would have been extremely important if the teacher had even mentioned that you need to use protection even if you're gay. Where as we had to learn all the possible ways to prevent pregnancy, for some reason I wasnt paying attention at all...... There was no one I could have asked any of these kind of questions.

I'm always happy if someone's telling it's ok to be gay to young kids, cause there is always at least one in class who is.
    So to me, you're doing very important job :slight_smile:

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is rather uplifting to hear the stories on the It Gets Better! project; incredible role models at all ages and well worth the time it takes to watch them!

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd have to say Mick Jagger and Lou Reed, who both blur the lines of gender/sexuality, and are/were also bad-ass rebellious sorts. Other than that, it's hard to think of any that come to mind.

Oh, the author, W. Somerset Maugham.