1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cisexism (A bit of a rant :P)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Techno Kid, May 21, 2014.

1. Techno Kid

1) If you have a problem with what someone is wearing or being gender nonconforming that makes you a bad person (just so we are clear on that). I don't care if you find it gross or weird.

2) No clothing is male, female, or non-binary.

3) A trans man, woman, non-binary person has always been the gender they see themselves as. So there is no "becoming" or "used to be".

4) Sex and gender are different things. I know what you were taught growing up, but you have been mislead.

5) If you don't use their chosen pronouns and/or name and continue to use the given ones you are not likely to make us think you are accepting. And it is not hard to learn how to do.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With point 3, some trans an non-binary people do say "used to be," because that's what they identified as at the time, though I'm not sure how common it is. It's probably a bad idea to say it unless the person concerned says so themself, though.

Otherwise, I totally agree. :slight_smile: Kill gender roles and the policing of trans and non-binary people's expression and lives.

3. mangotree

Feel better now? :slight_smile:

A lot of people (in the world and on here also... myself included) are open minded but still learning.

---------- Post added 22nd May 2014 at 07:25 AM ----------

I don't know if this is related or not, but my Mum got my 3 nephews fairy costumes and dolls for christmas last year. I was proud :slight_smile:
    And one of my nephew's favourite colours is pink.
    (They're 4 and 6 years old by the way)

#3 mangotree, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    People should wear what they want if a guy wants to wear a princess dress he should , I don't get why this bothers people it makes no sense

5. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Bravo, bravo!!

Many rants are well overdue. (*hug*)

6. Sarcastic Luck

"Cissexism" is a word that makes me laugh. It implies sexism towards cis people. I'm also going to point out how much I hate the word "cis". All it does is make me think of the "die cis scum" people.

I digress. You wouldn't say "women sexism" and mean that women are sexist, would you? No. You'd mean sexism towards women.

7. AlamoCity

Regarding "male" and "female" clothing, I will say that most people consider certain types of clothing to be gendered. It could be residual gender roles, sexism, or mentality, but most trans men and cismen would not be caught dead in a dress, even if the latter may have worn one before transitioning. Further, gendered clothing can provide validation to many who feel insecure about their gender and how they present in public.

That said, I do agree that we live in a society that could do well to be more enlightened on the issues of gender roles, pronouns, etc.

8. Sarcastic Luck

My own minor rant aside, the non-binary community would do well to follow some of the same rules. Just because I'm a guy doesn't means that I'm going to be super macho nor be interested in dressing a certain way.

9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There will always be gender-specific clothing, and I don't see that as a bad thing, because most people identify as a specific gender by choice, although that doesn't mean a guy can't wear a dress if he wants to, or a woman wear baggy pants and a baseball cap.

#9 imnotreallysure, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  10. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looks like I have to be the ass who plays devil's advocate again.

1&2 go together so I'll lump them as one. There are certain things that society, in general, teaches people. One is that only girls wear dresses. So when I see someone that I first identity as male wearing a dress it seems odd. It's like seeing someone with a green Mohawk it is so far out of the norm that my fists reaction is shock. Just because the instinct that I have been taught my whole life kicks in first doesn't make me a bad person. I am actually accepting but it took almost 30 years to accept myself as gay. I had to do that before I could accept others. Sorry old habits die hard.

3. I actually have no argument here.

4. Again these are words that everyone grows up learning that they are interchangeable. Just curious if you were pre-op and were filling out applications and one said sex while the other said gender would you answer them differently? If you would answer them the same would you answer with what is in your pants or with the gender you identify as?

5. I am working on. I have an aunt who is trans. It took me forever to quit calling her by her male name and referring to her as my uncle. With those I just met this isn't a problem but for over 25 years I knew her as male. It was a shock and actually took some time but now I think it is odd when I heard someone called her by her old male identity.

11. Techno Kid

Is this a thing Non-binary people have accepting? :confused: As far as I'm concerned you could wear a big pink dress and still call yourself a macho man or not.

Question: If we don't call people who are not trans cis, what do we call them? Normal? Average? I am not comfortable with either of those. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Also if you are not cis you are trans. So there is really no need to say "non-binary community", we are just as trans as you are.

12. Sarcastic Luck

There's a lot of policing in the non-binary community. The whole "not trans enough, thing". On another forum, a girl was worrying about being harassed because she was tomboyish.

Simple: Binary.

I hate the whole cis/trans thing. I'll use trans only because it's the popular word, but I refuse to use cis. The only time I'll use it is in regards to chemistry.

13. Techno Kid

I think there is a lot of policing in the trans community as a whole. I don't see why you are blaiming non-binaries for it.

Are you say just group people by binary/non-binary? I like that! :slight_smile: What would be better though is if we were all just people.

14. Sarcastic Luck

I'm not blaming non-binaries for anything.

Person who identifies as birth sex = binary
    Person who does not identify as birth sex = non-binary. This would include everyone. Transgenders, bigender, a gender, gender fluid, etc.

It would be great if we were all people, yes, but people insist on labeling themselves.

15. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree with everything you said!

16. Techno Kid

"There's a lot of policing in the non-binary community." Sounds like you are. :frowning2:

But sex and gender are different. :confused: How can a trans person identify as their birth sex... that would make them not trans. If you changed it to birth gender, maybe.

17. Sarcastic Luck

..Because I include transgender as non-binary?

Sex = what's between your legs.
    Gender = What's in your head.
    Identifying as your sex = gender matches the sex.

18. Techno Kid

Because it seemed like you were saying non-binaries are the ones in the trans community causing the problems. Maybe I completly missed what you meant. :icon_redf

Your sex stays the same your whole life as it is biological. So my sex is male, but my gender is non-binary. A girl could look fully woman (down to the genitals) and her sex would still be male because chromosomes.

19. Sarcastic Luck

No, it's primarily transgenders policing each other. It just sounded that way since I use non-binary as an umbrella term for those that don't fit on the gender binary. Similar to the trans umbrella picture that tends to be spam posted a lot.

You're essentially repeating what I said. A woman that was born a woman and considers herself as a woman would be binary. A woman that was born a man but considers herself a woman would be non-binary.

20. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Technically, this is incorrect. A binary refers to the existence of two - in this case, two genders: man and woman. If you identify as either a man or woman, you have a gender identity that fits within the prevailing binary. If you identify as bigender, agender, genderfluid, etc., you gender identity is non-binary.

And while I agree with your scientifically correct definitions of sex and gender, it's important to acknowledge the physiological component of being transgender in that a transman's brain was masculinized during fetal development and a transwoman's brain was feminized. In that sense, we're neurocognitively intersex so, calling a transman a female isn't totally correct, either.