1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is depress more common in the LGBT community?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lovinglollipops, May 21, 2014.

1. lovinglollipops

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Most of the LGBTs I know are depressed(including me), and have never been bullied, is this just a coincidence?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because people hate us without due cause because we are different.

3. Querying

I think it's also partially internal - I haven't been bullied, but losing my identity as a straight girl really hurt - and knowing how people could react still scares me - occasionally, I'll get panic attacks as I walk down the hall at school, thinking what if they knew? What if they knew?

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Verily!

Because we are ashamed of ourselves, and we have internalized homophobia or transphobia. We hate ourselves because others hate us. Here are some examples:

We have to worry disproportionately about people making fun of us, outing us in unsafe situations, gossiping about us, ostracizing us, refusing to serve us in their places of business, firing us from our jobs without cause, passing us up for promotions in said jobs, turning a blind eye to hostile working conditions in said places of employment, refusing to hire us to begin with at said businesses, voting for politicians who want to legally disadvantage us or even injure us, harrassing us on the street, physically threatening us, stalking us, assaulting us, raping us, kidnapping and torturing us, and finally, killing us.

I don't mean to be overly dramatic or anything, but there are some people out there who want to do nothing but evil to us. We must be aware of it, that we might better defend ourselves, our brothers, sisters, and ziestes.

#4 Pret Allez, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Because we have shame, and we aren't as accepted. Even the well meaning straight allies/supporters will make hurtful and heterosexist comments because the way society works is so ingrained in their heads.

6. confuseduser99

bingo!

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

- Self shame

- Lack of support, oftentimes from family as well

- Lack of mainstream acceptance

- Pervasive feelings of 'otherness'

- Conflicts with religion and upbringing

- Lack of community/queer erasure

- For trans folk- dysphoria

- Lack of opportunities normally available to cis, straight peers (sexual exploration, prom, a 'normal childhood', jobs, etc)

- Social and systematic discrimination

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because so many people say, "Stay in your d*** closet." I was called gay in high school before I even knew I was bisexual. Hiding what you do, sharing secrets and praying people will keep them and realize how important it is to come out to everyone in your own way because you know them in different ways. There is worry that you get be disowned/cut off financially from parents/relatives. You could lose friendships and be cut off from pastoral/church support in some circles. The list goes on and on...

9. Aaron82

Aaron82 Guest

It's sad, but true

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, some of it is due to the amount of shame that we have to work thorough because we are different that society's definition of "normal". Also, the fact that we have to face discrimination does not help matters any.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -Shame
    -Fear
    -Knowledge that we're simply not wanted to some people
    -Lack of support
    -Higher expectations of behaviour
    -Deliberate exclusion
    -Not knowing if we'll ever be comfortable with ourselves
    -Bullying

12. venuss

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Because most of the people don't understand us. They think we can change our sexual orientation easily and become "normal" like them. They believe our existence or the gay movement would distort all of their family structure. This belief is even more common in Asian countries, making the situation worse. Sad.

13. Higs

Actually I was pretty seriously depressed before knowing I was gay, but when I figured that out and after some time accepted, it helped me to overcome the depression.

14. Hexagon

We don't have to experience direct abuse to suffer the consequences of it personally. Widespread discrimination against our kind, coupled with the struggles of coming out, and with overcoming our own denial make an increased incidence of depression understandable.

15. RainbowAmethyst

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think its just the LGBT community. I'm an artist as well and a great majority of artist I know, suffer from depression too. I have it but I got mine through genes and my parents being the way they are.
    Some depression is cause by an in-balance in the brain and has to have constant medication to keep it balanced (which I have). It's mainly caused just from misery I guess and its not uncommon from LGBT people to be harmed

16. antimacy

Actually, marginalized groups in general have higher rates of mental illness. Things like depression can affect anyone, but those who have identities that are oppressed or marginalized or discriminated against in some way (ex gay/bi/pan/ace/etc, transfolk, etc) are more likely to experience it. Being in negative atmospheres have negative effects on people. Leaves them more at risk to develop or trigger mental illnesses or mental unwellness in general.

If I knew how to link things, I would, but give it a google scholar search and you'll find tons of articles that support this.