1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight children with gay parents... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mangotree, May 22, 2014.

1. mangotree

Just an odd / random thought that probably won't get any replies, but here we go.

Gay couples having children is becoming more and more common.
    Will the kids need to come out as straight somewhere along the line? (if they are)

Thoughts?

2. Perseus

I'd probably welcome anyone who they bring back regardless of their love interest's gender. :slight_smile:

3. AlamoCity

There is a couple on YouTube that goes by DepFox and they adopted a couple of kids. They would use gender neutral language when talking about their future spouses. The older boy eventually said, "dad, I'm straight," so that his parents would use "wife" instead of "spouse." The little girl basically came out with her crush on Justin Bieber :lol:.

The point is that gay parents will, more than likely, be accepting of their children and encourage them to be who they are, and this will imply using language that is neutral in that regard, which will be much to the chagrin of straight children, who will eventually come out as straight (if they are), if only to make communication clearer and less awkward :lol:.

Not sure if that makes sense :slight_smile:.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not unless being gay becomes more common than being straight...

I mean obviously if you have gay parents its going to be fairly clear to you that relationships are not limited to a man and a woman (unless your parents hide it from you which does happen).

I would like to think that most children from gay families would be in an environment where it didn't matter and they didn't need to come out to parents as anything.

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if they were gay, it sure would make their coming out process a hell of a lot easier.

6. Hexagon

I'd prefer a world in which no sexuality was assumed until the person is old enough to understand their attractions. Just, you know, its just as normal for a boy to date a boy as to date a girl.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I agree. If I have kids, they're not going to be assumed as anything until they come out (and yes, I'd probably want my kids to come out as straight if they were)

8. fulcrum

Chances are that if the parents are gay, there will also be a mixed bag of gay/straight family friends. So the environment those children grow up in will be quite cosmopolitan. So yeah, I think the children at some point might want to assert that they are one way or the other. After all, thats part of the adolescent process. But the parents might notice a thing or two long before the "coming out" can ever happen.

You know what they say, "parents ALWAYS know".

Thats if alcoholic grandma doesnt spill the beans too early at a family gathering ;-)

9. 741852963

Possibly, possibly not. Coming from a very liberal, accepting family with gay relatives hasn't really helped me in that regard. Denial is denial is denial at the end of the day, and sometimes the acceptance of others can feel like a "threat" because of that. I think it depends on the person, their circumstances, whether they face discrimination or violence outside the home, how active the parents are in protecting their children etc.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As one can expect, there is a website for this: COLAGE

Very useful for outlining the issues surrounding kids with LGBT parents, whether straight or not.

11. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm bi and have 2 young kids. If my next partner (I'm separated) was a guy, I don't think it would change anything with regards to my kids and their eventual sexuality. They have no obligation to come out as anything. They'll just be who they are, like who they like and be loved no matter what.

I really don't care what their orientation will be and they neither have to explain or justify it me or anyone else.

Happy days :slight_smile:

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The "coming out" for kids of gay parents is more about telling others about their parents; whether these be teachers, friends, extended family, etc.

For some and/or for certain circumstances, this kind of coming out can be just as stressful and fraught with consequence as coming out LGBT.

13. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I wouldn't think so. Even if you have gay parents, our society is still VERY heterosexual at large, so chances are even some gay parents are expecting their children to turn out straight.

I would just use gender neutral pronouns throughout my kids lives like said above.

14. mangotree

Yes! Good point.

15. itsonlyrelative

I plan on raising my kids in a household were their sexuality isn't assumed until they express it, because I think that nobody's sexuality should be assumed and instilling that mentality in your kids will help them be more understanding and acceptable people, gay or straight. Either way, no matter who they bring home, I am still going to want the same thing for my child: for them to be happy, feel loved, and have respect.

16. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I wish these labels never existed. My kid can date whoever she or he wants.

17. KWDBM

Since "straight" is still seen as the "normal" or "default", pretty much all children are going to be considered straight unless there's a reason to think otherwise. It sucks, but that's how it is.

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's been quite a bit of study on this, some studies reach back 20 years or more. The incidence of gay kids in families where one or both parents are gay by is no greater than in families where both parents are straight.

Further, negative indicators (psychological, drug use, criminality) are no higher in offspring raised by gay parents than by straight ones,and if anything, the kids raised by gay parents were found to be slightly better socially adjusted, likely reflecting the fact that almost 100% of gay parents had to go though significant effort to become parents, while some hetero parents did not really want kids.

19. pianokeysry91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, congrats!! You got a whole bunch of responses! Great topic.

No, I don't think they'd have to come out as straight, people would likely just assume (whether that's right or wrong)

On a related note, I think having gay parents would have no effect on a child's sexuality except perhaps make it easier for them to come to terms with it IF they ever question it (as many do not) and even then, not totally because though we live in a somewhat tolerant time, people would typically prefer to be straight...

20. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That shouldn't be a problem if the parents love there children