1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lgbt representations in TV, movies and books

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mickeytheles, May 22, 2014.

1. mickeytheles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just wondering if I was the only one that had noticed that most of the lgbt+ people that appear in TV shows! movies books etc are gay men. There are barely any other queer representations. Being a lesbian I would like to see more stories about being a lesbian and I'm sure there are other people that want to see their sexualities and genders represented. If I'm completely off here you can tell me so but I watch and read a lot and I've only found about three lesbian representations.

2. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, that is true. But then again, straight women don't get that much of the cake either - majority of movies have only men as leads anyway, and women appear as random lovers, accidental additions to the plot, playing the not so significant parts. I watch quite a bit of movies and there are hardly any where men and women in leads are 50:50 and even less where women outnumber men. Of course as a result there will be many more gay men than gay women on TV.

Have you heard of the Bechdel test?

3. mickeytheles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No. What is it. Also with the point you made with mostly males being leads, whole that is the case mostly, even the things with a strong female leads there is always the guy who is her love interest.

4. PurpleGrey

I've heard of that test, I just don't remember what it is. :slight_smile:

But yeah, no matter what the context is, gay men get more attention than gay women. I guess we're just not fabulous enough. And when we are portrayed in media, we tend to get a lot less depth in our characters.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can think of one lesbian couple in the media and I absolutely loathe them...

6. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Bechdel test is a test that sees whether a work of fiction has two women who talk to each other about something other than men. Sometimes the test requires for these characters to be named.

I have totally noticed though that gay women are underepresented in media. Glee focuses so much on Kurt and Blaine, and hardly ever any attention on Santana and her relationships with Dani and Brittany. Chicago Fire also hardly ever goes into depth about the lesbian character in the show. It's all about the straight characters and their relationships. It's slightly annoying...

7. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I'm going to recommend Orphan Black, it's a great show, albeit a bit a dark and mature. There is a lesbian couple in the show, and I think they are portrayed very realistically. The whole show is about clones, which sounds cheesy, but it's really well done.