1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will scientists figure out a way to do genital transplant for the trans community?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosepetal, May 23, 2014.

1. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The reason I wanna talk about this is bc I hate how my boyfriend can't feel himself be complete. Or if we'll ever be intimate i want him to enjoy sex just as much as I will like bio guys can. I want him to feel a happy ,strong and enjoy himself in bed like other guys can. I also want him to feel he is a man like I view him as a man always :slight_smile:

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: Will scientists figure out a way to do genital transplant for the trans communit

Man, I sure hope they do!
    If you think about it, trans treatments have made leaps and bounds. We can only keep getting better. I feel like I should do something to help, but what?

3. PurpleGrey

Re: Will scientists figure out a way to do genital transplant for the trans communit

I hope so. It's a thought I have now and again. I really want to know how it would work. Doctory science stuff fascinates me. I also think about how one could possibly give their pregnancy to someone else, but that's beside the point.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well in terms of actual usable parts, yea probably.

In terms or reproduction?

That is highly doubtful for a very long time.

5. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people

I think science should focus more on 3D printing. I don't think transplants are a sustainable option.

6. edgy

edgy Guest

i think we should explore dysphoria prevention

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

3D printing has been making interesting headlines. Maybe that's where we can find some answers for trans people.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I would prefer some time of genetic approach to turn on development of different organs, but that may be way into the future.

9. Niko

That'd be awesome. But I fear it'll be a long time before they ever find a way to make that possible. :\

10. Hexagon

They've done it with a womb for transgender women already. However, I don't think a useable penis is going to be possible, as the guy's body would lack the proper mechanisms for erection, and he wouldn't have the nerves to experience sensation. But hey, if there is no rejection, it would work for pissing.

Its somewhat like trying to put a third arm on someone's chest. You could attach the skin, but not much else.

11. Sarcastic Luck

Well, the nerves issue could be potentially solved by using nerve tissue from the clitoris, but the main issue is going to be the blood vessels to achieve erection. It'd take a lot of work to set something up.

It might happen eventually, but not in the next few years.

12. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Really a brain transplant would do the job the most thoroughly.

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I think it could be done and hope it happens for all of you guys who'd really want it (need it?). Think a lot would depend on funding and how much mileage they can see in the r&d process.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Perhaps you would like to clarify exactly what you mean here...

15. Hexagon

I could see how that could be interpreted. I'd imagine he meant putting the brain of the transperson into a body of their true gender.

16. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I read it as putting the brain in the right body.... (You've got 2 people, one a guy stuck in a girl's body, and the other a girl stuck in a guy's body. Swap their brains... )

17. Techno Kid

What do you mean by this?

18. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Interesting.

Ok. Because I was going to respond in a less than positive way because of how that was phrased. Your explanation makes sense.

19. 741852963

I think the risk would always be rejection. With any transplant you have to stay on pretty strong anti-rejection drugs, I'd imagine your body would try to reject an organ that would be incompatible (i.e. not naturally present) with a person's DNA even more so.

They've already found "unisex" organs (livers, kidneys etc) have a greater rejection rate when the sex of donor and recipient are opposite, so again it would probably be very difficult.

Plus whether or not there would be enough viable bio-male donors would be a factor. Many people are adverse enough to current organ donation, I'd imagine genital organ donation might be a bit of a big ask for many men.

With all that said I think the future is probably in new technology for synthetic genitalia - new surgical techniques and implant technology etc.