1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my dad is upset at me for taking two days off of work

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, May 23, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had the cold for 4 days now , I took yesterday off and spent most of the day sleeping a few on the computer chatting and taking meds I don't want to get other people sick at work so I called out . Today I'm a little better and but still have a runny nose and I don't want to go to work til my cold is gone because at my job it's very cold in there and I don't want it to get worse . My dad in the past has taken weeks off even months of work lots of time lied to his job and said he was sick when he wasn't and is mad at me for taking two days off when I'm actually sick and telling me we need your money to pay the bills here you can't take any days off go back to work when I'm constantly told by both him and my mother that my money doesn't count . I just want to get better so I'm staying home . Is it wrong for me to stay home ? I don't want other people to catch my cold i'm also scared my job might firer me for taking off two sick days because my boss sounded upset . Help :help:
    Now he's ignoring me telling me he's gonna tell my mom what I did .

#1 stocking, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Um it's 2 days? How long have u been working there?

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    more than 6 months now , I work at a super market

4. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can tell him about the error of his ways, but he might refuse to listen. The real issue is 'should you go to work with a cold'?

If you are quite new there, they might be able to fire you, without giving reasons. If you have a contract, then I don't see what the hell is wrong with 2 days off. For that I would only have to provide a doctor's note. If people force themselves to work all the time, despite sickness, they are less efficient overall. It also goes the other way if people are accustomed to taking time off. It can become progressively (mentally) difficult to return to work. It's a balancing act of health vs money.

Do you have a fever? Do you feel capable of working? If the only reason you're staying off is to prevent other people getting colds... probably go to work. You cannot prevent these people from catching colds elsewhere. Unless you work in a retirement home or such. Ask yourself if a cold is dangerous for your line of work. Maybe take a tablet and carry loads of tissues. Perhaps your work allows you to wear warmer clothing due to the low temperature. I see plenty people go to work with colds. I keep my distance from them.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Alright, first off, are you still living with him? Because regardless, he's got no legal right over you. Might not be the best person to advise you on your situation with your parents considering my mother, but anyway, you're a legal adult and I assume because you're working at a super market, you're working a position that requires you handling food to some degree. Isn't handling food with an illness a health code violation? Either way, you were sick and to the point where going to work meant exposing customers and co-workers to illness. Generally speaking, that's something anyone wants to avoid...

Honestly? Your Dad's full of shit.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It will probably come down to if you are part time or full time. If you were full time, then 4 days would be a problem, as this means another full timer would have to come in, or a part timer, who may have been banking on having this time off, will have to fill in. If anyone else can fill in, you should be fine. But you may want to try and not take any more days off, for a few months, so that they will ease up.

If you are part time, then the risk of trouble occurring rises, because, sadly, most part timers are considered expendable. If you don't show up to work, what good are you? So, you may get a warning, or some cut hours. The worst they can do is fire you, but if you have been there for 6 months, and you haven't done anything to offend your employers, then this may not even be an option.

It's going to come down to how well you get along with your employers, and how much you contribute to the work environment. Having worked in retail, I once was sick on a holiday weekend (Black Friday), and I wasn't able to make it. Naturally, my boss, when I returned to work that Sunday, called me in and chewed me out. Bad. Real bad. After about half a hour of berating, she told me to turn in my name tag and get out. I told her I would, but not before she heard me out.

I told my boss that I was a human being, and you can't yell at me like some animal. I got sick. If I had come in to work, there is a likelihood a lot of people would have gotten sick, especially since it was Black Friday. I also called her out on the fact, if this was any other normal weekend, she'd have accepted it. I concluded with telling her, if she was this anal about the state of the store as she was one damn weekend, that maybe she wouldn't be in the financial trouble she was in, and that perhaps she could keep an employee for longer than a month.

I was told to leave, but that manager wound up getting let go due to financial trouble, and the new manager, a former employee, wound up hiring me back, because she knew I was in the right.

If you called in and let them know, and were polite about it, and have a good record with them, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Fingers crossed for you anyway, though.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have still have body pain and on top of that my nose is very runny and I'm very weak still from the cold

---------- Post added 23rd May 2014 at 01:14 PM ----------

Yeah and the problem is the store can get into trouble for it if I go to work sick touching stuff and my line of work I have to touch the products .

---------- Post added 23rd May 2014 at 01:15 PM ----------

I get along pretty well with most of the people there and there is some one that can fill in for me

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Then you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about that aspect.

As for your father, everybody else here has covered the bases pretty well. The only thing I would add is, if your father thinks you can go to work, as you describe yourself as feeling, then he is either putting finances over family, or he's oblivious to your state.

Now, and I don't want this to seem as if I am coming off as being harsh, but sometimes people find it hard to believe we're sick if, we are doing anything but laying in bed. Watching television, using a phone, being on a computer, getting up to get a glass of water, anything like that, may tell people you aren't as bad as you claim to be. Maybe this could get him off your back. If not, then you'll just have to endure it, and next time he gets sick, be sure to tell him to get up and go to work, no matter how he feels.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I will , I think it's because I'm on the internet he thinks I'm fine but I was on yesterday too but yeah you got a point

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, there's a really basic piece here:

You are 25, and you have every right to live your own life, decide when to take off work, and, for that matter, get fired if you take off too much time. It is not your dad's position to have any input on this.

Is there a reason you're still living with your parents? It sounds like a very unhealthy and controlling situation.

11. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You dad can be upset with you, but, in the end, it is your decision what you do with your life. He may not always approve, but, he will always love you.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm too broke to move and I asked another friend to move in with her well 2 of my friends one said no and the other said she will get an apartment with me when she moves out and we'll share the rent

---------- Post added 23rd May 2014 at 05:05 PM ----------

Thanks frosted flakes (*hug*)

13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you have a doctor's note and are union, you should be fine. If not, you never know. I had a frequent illness with a doctor's note and was let go, mainly because I wasn't union.

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm in a union but no doctor's note

15. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would touch base with a steward then when you get back.

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok I will do that

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yay, I got to use my labor negotiations class in college for something. (!)

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's good that you have it

19. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, but if I had to do it over again, I would have studied psychology I think. Our psychology department was really hard, and we had some bad profs(in my opinion). The reason I say this is because that way I would have confronted my denial at 23-24 than 31.

20. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's never to late if you still want to study it