1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should there be limits to how much money someone can donate to a political campaign?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JStevens96, May 23, 2014.

?

Should their be limits to how much someone can donate to a political campaign?

Poll closed May 28, 2014.
  1. Yes, It Will Help End Corrupt Elections In Politics

87.9%
  2. No, Limits To Money You Can Donate Limits Free Speech

12.1%
  1. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Should there be limits to the amount of money someone can donate to a political campaign?

I say yes. This helps at least somewhat to put a vault on corruption in politics.

Limits would make or at least help make it a game of who has the better ideas over who has the more money.

In the McCutcheon court ruling this year, it ruled that limits to the amount of $ donated somehow limits free speech.

I didn't know money equals speech, but to the court it does. I figure now that $ equals speech, I can't afford free speech, & we're screwed.

What do you think?

2. Foxface

Re: Should there be limits to how much money someone can donate to a political campai

absolutely...100% yes for me

So tired of the idea of purchasing politics

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Should there be limits to how much money someone can donate to a political campai

Obviously the answer is yes.

If money is free speech, it is wrong that some people have more free speech than others, so that point makes absolutely no sense.

Wolf PAC

#3 BryanM, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  4. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I agree!

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Money =/= speech. You can't be denied freedom of speech by being told you can't spend money. Nothing is stopping people from speaking about political campaigns....

6. AlamoCity

I do believe that we should have limits on donations for political campaigns. One can almost sense that there is a quid pro quo tacit agreement. Heck, I'd even be into having term limits for MoC.

Not sure exactly how high or low those limits should be, but for sure placing limits on what individual entities (be they individuals, corporations, groups, etc.) can contribute directly to individual candidates and to PACs.

7. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Yup. Limits would just create fairness

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yes, because without campaign finance limits, the Koch Brothers and other corporations are allowed to buy elections for Republicans. That's the main reason Democrats lost the House in 2010 and why they might lose the Senate in 2014: they're being outspent by these rogue billionaires because there's no rules.

9. KazTastic

There should be a limit on donations, however, I'm my opinion, political domains should be banned altogether - though most party politicians would disagree with me.

Our government got caught recently collecting donations from the Mafia. Tony Abbott loves money, no matter how dirty it is.

10. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Yup, that new court ruling was probably Koch brother funded. Lmao.

11. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

There isn't as much corruption in politics due to campaign donations as you think, but there should still be a cap. It will never happen, though.

12. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I hope they pass that amendment, seems like a fantasy though.

13. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I have a better chance of dating a supermodel. The move by the Senate is really nothing more than "symbolic" because they know it has no chance of ever passing (see Republicans voting to repeal the ACA 50 times in the House). But it gives them something to tout to their constituents back home.

I don't know; I'd be in favor of an amendment that limits campaign contributions even though it'd hurt me directly because I'm someone who's being paid decently from working in one thanks to large donations. :lol:

But I'm skeptical that it would do much to fix the average low information voter's ignorance about politics and the information coming from a campaign, and the large donations really don't influence an MC's voting on legislation as much as people think. The real issue is that many congressional staffers are inexperienced at policy making, and they get paid very little money from MC's. A lot of them just graduated from college. Most lobbyists are quite experienced and knowledgable on policy because many of them used to be staffers themselves. They pretty much learn on the job while working for an MC, and then they use that knowledge and "cash in" after a couple years by becoming a lobbyists for an interest group or corporation.

It's really a problem of inexperienced staffers of MC's trying to write policy, while lobbyists have experience and know what they're doing on policy issues. The Washington Times did an excellent story on this a couple years ago.

#13 Mike92, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Here's my view of things. You can either have limits on campaign spending, or you can have complete disclosure requirements. One or the other.

The public has a legitimate interest in knowing who is paying for their candidates, because they need to know who the stakeholders are.

I don't care if you donate $5 to NOM. That should appear in a publicly searchable web site in front of a national database.

15. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I see, & yes, pretty much no shot to it being passed.

16. confuseduser99

Why are there always political debates on this site? I mean I LOVE politics too (it's my job actually), but this sit isn't about that.

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I believe that all political donations should be open to public view and limited severely to something someone on minimum wage could donate. It's unequivocally unethical that the most powerful get to further their power ar the expense of the wishes of the most vulnerable.

It's not democratic to have enormous donations in order to win. Plus, it would encourage local power; a party without deep pockets can't play around with distant electorates if they can't afford to spend much money.

True democracy can't be bought. That is what separates it from parliamentary plutocracy.

---------- Post added 24th May 2014 at 09:49 AM ----------

Queer issues are political issues, donations affect our lives, and you can't dictate that an appropriate topic is not suitable merely because you don't want it here.

18. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Sorry for bringing up many political "debates" lol, I just find opinions interesting

19. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Ha ha, nothing wrong with that.

Nice to have some people on EC that like politics too, even if I don't agree with them politically.

20. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

Yes, but they would be rather high caps for both people and corporations and vary on the race. For example, city council should get a much lower cap than governor based on the amount of people voting.

---------- Post added 23rd May 2014 at 08:37 PM ----------

This is the key for me. Get rid of the PAC's and tie donations to individuals and corporations.