1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question of taste

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tommy Price, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Tommy Price

Tommy Price Guest

I find it interesting that someone who is mainly attracted to the opposite sex can be attracted to only one person of the same gender.
    I have seen profiles on EC where a guy is predominantly straight but is attracted to one guy.
    Is it just emotional attraction, or are they also attracted to them physically, if so shouldn't they be attracted to the male physique? Or are they only physically attracted to just one person of the same gender?

2. I think you opened up a very interesting and promising discussion!! As we all know, sexuality is really complicated at times. It's not crystal clear to some people. I think that you could be romantically attracted to a certain gender, but not be attracted to them sexually. OR, you could be attracted sexually, but not romantically. It could go either way, whether someone is bi or not (I think). Now I got myself confused!! :lol:

3. Most of the time when things like that happen I would guess its an emotional attraction. It's sort of like how I work. I can tell when guys are good looking but I have to get to know them before I'm attracted to them. Then again I am kind of attracted to the male physique. I don't know. I know what you mean though. I would use a tv show as an example to back up what you're saying but I don't know if you've seen it xD

4. "It's sort of like how I work. I can tell when guys are good looking but I have to get to know them before I'm attracted to them. Then again I am kind of attracted to the male physique"

This is how I feel! You said it perfectly. Except that I'm not kind of attracted, I AM 100% attracted to the physique.

5. You have it right. When speaking about bisexuality, it's defined as a physical, romantic, or emotional attraction to both genders. Taking that definition you can apply it to certain scenarios. For example someone may be attracted physically to women, emotionally to men, and sexually to either one or both. It is complicated but I think it may have something to do with people who are predominantly straight yet like one or a few people of their own gender.

6. Tommy Price

Tommy Price Guest

What TV show. We do get some US shows in NZ. Not Queer as Folk, sadly :frowning2:

7. Haha I was gonna say Degrassi. I dont know if you get that there though.

8. Tommy Price

Tommy Price Guest

No. Whats it about?

9. It's about all the issues teenagers have to face but its like a drama. The reason I brought it up is because one of the characters dated only guys until she fell for one of her friends and dated her. And she even said that she was the only girl she ever fell for. So why that happens isn't entirely clear but apparently it's common.

10. Tommy Price

Tommy Price Guest

Interesting. I can sort of understand how they feel. All my straight, guy friends say they would never be able to sleep with a guy. So do those that are attracted to someone emotionally just grit their teeth and bare the sexual stuff?

11. The weird thing is, I think that once you have an emotional attraction to someone, you're able to be turned on by them sexually. At least that's what I would think happens. That's what would happen to me.

12. Tommy Price

Tommy Price Guest

But then wouldn't you be attrackted to all guys?
    You know, if you wern't 100% into them.

13. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some straight males will have a best childhood friend that they feel a special connection to, even if it's not physical or romantic. Most people can also recognize people of either gender as attractive, even if they're not actually attracted to them. For example, I'm able to look at a woman and think "Oh, she looks nice today", but I'm still attracted predominantly to males. Does that sort of make sense?

14. Tommy Price

Tommy Price Guest

You can understand she is attractive but your not attracted to her. If you were attracted to her body, then wouldn't you be attracted to women?

15. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    Well, I'm going to have to agree with beyondken when she said that the separation of emotional/physical/romantic elements is there when somebody is attracted to somebody of the sex to which they aren't normally. I'm emotionally attracted to my friend Claire because she is amazing in every way, but in no way am I attracted to her physically/sexually/romantically or however you want to put it. It's just something that I've noticed.

And I do see people like a couple of my friends who say that they are absolutely enamored by somebody because of their personality or the way they carry themselves and the like.

In my opinion, it's all kinda mucked up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. lexie

if you've only been attracted to one member of the same sex then thats the only attraction to the same gender you've experienced, so you can understand why people say, i am straight, but i just like this one person of the same sex. because thats all up till that point they've felt.

but i personally think, if you find an intense physical/emotional connection with one member of the same sex then there is a strong chance it could happen again. the very fact its happened once shows you are receptive to it. and you cant control how you feel anyway, try as you might, you cant make yourself like someone, you either do or you dont. so you cant say you'll never feel that way for another man/woman in the future and that this particular connection is a one-off because it might not be, it might be by the same token, but it may well turn out not to be.

#16 lexie, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008