1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autism.......really?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, May 25, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, this is a topic I've wanted to get off my chest for a while. I've noticed in a lot of conversations I've had with people, how many people out there claim to have autism or related conditions like Aspergers when they really don't.

Just because they are socially awkward or have difficulty expressing themselves or have mood swings, they suddenly self diagnose themselves with this condition or assume they have it because someone they know hinted at it. However, when I ask if they have been clinically assessed or diagnosed the answer is either no, or had very little assessment.

I get a little fed up of those claiming autism. As a parent if a child who really is autistic (and believe me, you can tell as well as the clinical diagnosis) I worry that later in life he will have difficulty as it will be seen as an excuse because of all these people who claim to be but aren't.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Finally, please note I'm not trying to imply anyone here is like how I've described above. I'm talking from my own personal experience.

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've met a few people who try to do that as well. I think its really inconsiderate to people who have autism. It seems like most of the time the people I know do it to get empathy or use it as an excuse to get away with things that they shouldn't be doing which is horrible. Nobody should be trying take advantage a mental condition(which they don't even have) do their own personal gain.

3. TheStormInside

This is a tough subject. I hope I haven't offended you in any of my posts. For a long time I suspected I may have Asperger's, myself. However, I am not the type to tell others that in the "real world", and would not claim to officially have AS, just that I feel I may, or if I am not "diagnosable," I still have many traits in common with those with the condition. Throughout my life I've had poor insight into my emotions to the point where I thought I had none (though in recent years with a lot of work I've gotten a lot better at this). I have sound and smell sensitivities in a major way and have some trouble with touch. I have social difficulties (though, it is possible some are attributed to social anxiety disorder, which I am diagnosed with). I get immersed in specific subjects and have trouble thinking of anything else. Those are just some of the things about myself that make me think I may have AS, or may be on the far end of the middle of the neurotypical to autism spectrum spectrum.

To respond to your concerns, Asperger's has indeed become a sort of "fad diagnosis" (although it has been removed from the latest DSM and folded into "autism spectrum disorder") and there are a lot of people who claim to have it who don't. Some may be doing it for attention, others may have other issues and mistakenly believe that Aspergers is the cause, or they may blow their own problems out of proportion. It is damaging for people who don't have the diagnosis to claim that they do. However there is a portion of that population of people who believe they have AS and find that they are correct, they go on to get an official diagnosis. For others it's out of their reach due to finances, location, or other reasons, as is the case for myself.

Anyway, I understand your frustration, especially if you have a child who is on the more severe end of the spectrum. I can't really begin to claim to understand what that is like, for both you and your child. I just hope you also understand (and you seem knowledgeable so you probably do) that autism is a wide spectrum and some will be obviously autistic while others blend in much more easily. And also that not everyone who is undiagnosed is claiming to have autism for personal gain in some way. Either way, I'm glad you're advocating for your child, and I also hope you continue to do what you can to educate those around you.

#3 TheStormInside, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  4. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You haven't offended me in anyway in your posts. As I said,this isn't directed at anyone here. Also, I wouldn't dare try to trivialise any difficulties you may have yourself and I'm definitely sympathetic to you. It's just, as you have shown you clearly understand, I don't like something like autism, which has a profound effect on some, be made more difficult by those who just use it as an excuse.

5. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a general rule, people should avoid self diagnosing any condition, but especially something as serious as Autism.

I often encounter people who claim to be suffering from depression, but have not consulted a Doctor about it or received any form of diagnosis. Yes, they do feel low and they're having a bad time and I'm certainly not lacking in sympathy, but feeling low doesn't necessarily amount to depression. If the low mood persists or worsens over time, then it may lead to depression, but only a suitably qualified health professional can say.

Like autism, depression is serious and life limiting, but too many people are deciding for themselves that they are depressed and it's building a level of cynicism towards those who have received a diagnosis for a very real mental health condition.

Like RadioactiveBi, I'm not pointing the finger at members of this forum, but I do agree with the overall point he is making.

6. tscott

As a parent with a child who has Aspbergers's, I would caution anyone from self-diagnosis.

When in 5th grade, my son's teachers and school psychologist practically printed a road map for us, but no one mentioned he might be an Aspie. By 6th grade, it became even more apparent when we moved and changed districts. They're the ones who encouraged our having him tested. Then there's the dilemma of labeling, because once labeled it will follow you the rest of your life. Due to his age and the lateness of his diagnosis, we decided to to send him away to a school adept at dealing with the challenges. He's at a private school in town now and has proven himself to be a stellar student both academically and behaviorly. He even has a "girlfriend". He still cannot test worth a damn which is problematic in NYS, despite a 96% average, but he doesn't seem interested in pursuing an academic career. He's in a culinary program for part of the day and is interested in baking of all things. His other "obsession" is sports and maybe he can parlay this into sports nutritian or some such.

If you really think you've this disability, get tested. Most people with AS function well within society, but it is a true disabiliy and not without limits for those who suffer through it. It goes way beyond social awkwardness. It's the difference between being depressed and having depression.

It is not and cannot be used merely as an excuse for being socially inept. Imagine the difficulty of not picking up on facial expressions, sensitivity to loud noises (my son hates going to the movies, because of the volume), being fit yet uncoordinated, shrinking back from being touched. It can't be fun.

Don't play with labels like these. You are inadvertently denegrating the condition and those who have it.

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Around 4-5 years ago I was definitely wondering if I had Asperger's - as has my father, most of his life (extremely similar personality to me). Just looking at a list, all the symptoms fit perfectly. I'd almost wonder how I didn't have it - at least in a high-functioning sense. Not saying that I went around claiming it or anything, but I had thought the probability was decent.

Then I finally actually met someone who was a high-functioning individual with Asperger's, and it became pretty clear that I was just eccentric and have bad social anxiety.

I'm guessing this would be the case with most people running around telling you they have AS - were they actually to be exposed to someone who actually does have Asperger's (and I keep going back to that one since it's obviously the one most commonly associated with high functioning individuals, therefore most likely to be "self-diagnosed"), they'd realize fairly quickly that they don't fall in such a category.

Although, I have been told by a clinician that I likely have Social Anxiety Disorder. In retrospect, that one makes more sense.

#7 Browncoat, May 25, 2014
  8. 741852963

I think its probably because it is a grey area, with no hard and fast medical test to determine autism (e.g. you can't really do a simple blood test, or "see" autism). Many people express certain autistic traits but are not autisic so I think that might add to the confusion.

The tests for autism are often very ambiguous too, and sometimes fail to distinguish between introversion and autism unless looked at holistically by a professional. I scored quite highly (33 I think) on the AQ test but am not autistic. I have no problem in social situations, understand social interaction, sarcasm/jokes/humor - however I just have a preference for my own space as a general rule.

I'm going to have to disagree here. I would say unlike autism, depression does not always need a diagnosis. Typically if you have depression, you know you have depression. It can be as clear as having a cold.

From my early teens I was perfectly aware I was depressed and the diagnosis from a doctor came as no surprise. I actually think many doctors have very little understanding themselves of depression, and tend to medicate out of lack of knowledge. I do think many doctors see mental health as outside their comfort zone.

In my own experience doctors never talked about emotions or life problems, instead treating depression as if it was a solely physical disease or a minor annoyance - "those last pills didn't clear it up? Try these then. Right, see you next month!".

9. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a pragmatic language impairment, but I'm not sure if that counts...

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth, there's also this:

So anyone tempted to self-diagnose as Asperger's now has a larger hurdle to overcome-- actually classifying themselves on the autism spectrum. Their special interest* better be psychological disorders if they hope to do it right. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

*I've heard some ASD people have a particular fascination/obsession commonly called a special interest. They focus on this topic fervently and can concentrate on it to the exclusion of a lot of other things. The reason I brought it up is because that sort of attention paid to anything means they end up extremely knowledgeable about it, so may be better equipped than others to put it to use.

#10 Argentwing, May 25, 2014
  11. Sarcastic Luck

You also have parents that try to diagnose things. When I first came out to mom, she was trying to diagnose me as having Asperger's.

12. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A good point. I could see and understand why they might do that. I don't agree with it, but I could imagine it happening. It's like they want to find a reason why their child turned out to be LGBT whilst simultaneously trying to remove some irrational blame from themselves that they would worry others may place on them.

13. BelleFromHell

A close friend of mine suspects she may have autism, but that's mainly because her family members think she has it. She has trouble talking to people and being sympathetic. I told her it's possible she may have Asperger's since she doesn't have too much trouble with speech, but she should look into it more before self-diagnosing anything.

There are reasons why people don't want to get diagnosed with depression (or any kind of mental illness, really). One reason is they don't want to be forced to take medication (which, often makes their problem worse than it was to begin with). They also fear that their illness will be stamped on their record for the rest of their life, which can cause them to lose their job, or prevent them from getting one. With all the stigma assosiated with mental illness, they may even be outcasted from their friends and family, the same people who are supposed to help them through the bad times.

I've resisted getting diagnosed with bipolar disorder for all the reasons I've listed. I take natural supplements as treatment, and, while it's still an issue, I don't have nearly as many episodes as I used to. There's already enough stigma against me for being a self-taught homeschooler and lesbian, so knowing I have bipolar disorder would be an absolute deal breaker when getting a job or applying for college.

I'm currently living with a family member who's EXTREMELY biased against the mentally ill. She says that we all should be sedated, locked up in solitary confinement, and never walk around normal people again. Have I told her I'm bipolar? NO, and I wouldn't dream of it.

Unlike some people who self-diagnose, I actually see bipolar disorder as a serious thing and try to kept it as hidden as possible. The only person I know in real life who knows is my best friend, and I plan on keeping it that way.

14. Sarcastic Luck

Yup. She was trying to blame me being transgender on it because it would mean I was confused (???). She found a blog that had a several page long list of symptoms that the person had noticed in women with Asperger's. I made it midway through and was laughing because it basically made it that everyone could have Asperger's. The crowning jewel was that it listed gender disorders as one of the symptoms. Pissed mom off when I told her and she didn't believe me. That immediately took Asperger's off the list.

I disagree. There are numerous types of depression. Clinical and environmental are two of the big ones. The "feeling low" is generally environmental depression, but still depression all the same.

On top of that, depression is not life limiting if you learn to cope with it and recognize what triggers it. I speak as someone who was diagnosed with it a 5.

#14 Sarcastic Luck, May 25, 2014
  15. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I personally have run in to many people with autism or aspberger's syndrome, but very few who diagnosed it themselves. I'm not sure where exactly people run in to that, but I've heard people say that they do. I have aspberger's syndrome, I was diagnosed by a doctor when I was a little kid. I think that the diagnosis is rather accurate, but I'm not very antisocial. A lot of people seem very prejudiced against people with aspberger's/autism, based on the assumption that we all diagnosed ourselves to explain why we're jerks. But most of the people I've met on the autism spectrum are great people who don't want to upset anyone. I don't think that people who diagnose themselves with any disorder are representative of the population that actual has it, so I wish people would stop characterizing us based on those who do. Most of the people I met on the autism spectrum where in the school I went to, which was for people who had with mental disorders.

16. Kreiger

My brother is diagnosed with autism, but its really more of a blanket term because he's got some sort of mood disorder or mix of them. He definitely needs help, he's been in and out of psych wards and emergency rooms before and is on some anti-psychotics. Giving him that diagnosis definitely helped make the insurance company pay for his medications though, so I don't think its a bad thing that he's said to be autistic.

It definitely shouldn't be used to get ahead in life, its as bad as pretending to be physically handicapped if you don't have it, and shouldn't be abused if someone really is autistic.

17. Mitchell

I have a formal diagnosis, autism spectrum disorder, along with a few other things mixed in there.

They caught it in pre-school and kindergarten.

I hate how many people try to self-diagnose as well.

18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I have asperger's. Clinically diagnosed at the age of 8, and yet I completely understand and agree with you.

I feel like people who self-diagnose as autistic are almost mocking me in a way because most of them have no idea what It's really like. Being confused about it is one thing, but It's also become an excuse disorder.

It's more than just being socially awkward or having difficulty expressing yourself for sure.

Thank you.

19. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people will self-diagnose anything thesedays. Some people called me stuff such as autistic due to my quirky behaviour. Armchair psychologists online and offline! If you're called something enough times; you might begin to believe it. I saw a professional, to ask if I had autism... she asked me about a typical day in my life and blah blah... I'm neurotypical.

I knew a silly 18/19 year old guy that ran around (where we're supposed to WALK), jumped downstairs, and blamed mistakes on ADHD. It ticked me off that somebody would make light of a problem that people deal with. I can tell the difference because my boyfriend has ADHD. He's held down jobs and learned to concentrate.

20. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a nice with autism it's not nice. I