1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cars vs Bicycles

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, May 25, 2014.

1. This topic popped up in my mind when I started to think about how I should get around when I start university. I was think about whether I should use my bicycle or my car. When I talked to friends who commute by bike or by car, some thing one is superior than the other. What do you guys think? If you had to commute with one, what would it be: car or bicycle?

Personally, I would choose a bicycle. You don't need a license to ride it, saves a ton of room in storage (which is good for those who live in apartments), it's easy to find a place to lock your bicycle, and the wind through your hair feels cool (no pun intended).

2. wolf of fire

I can't drive or ride a bike but I like the idea of driving

3. Sarcastic Luck

Depends on how far away you live from the college. I'll be driving since it's 30 minute drive from the dorms to the university.

4. timo

It depends, but I think I prefer my car. Really only use my bike on nights out when I know I'll drink something alcoholic.

re: wind in your hair: the worst part of riding a bike. I hate it when I arrive at uni/work/wherever and my hair's a mess. It's also no fun to ride a bicycle when it rains.

5. Santana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can I suggest you to buy a motocycle?

No? Ok. I think I'd go with car.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends; how far do you need to travel, what do you need to carry, what's the bicycle-friendly infrastructure near you? Carrying textbooks, reports, electronics etc., is not easy and you can ruin things in the rain or drop them or just have too heavy a load. Replacing stuff like that can be both monetarily expensive and waste work; the cost of a car is still more, but at least you don't run the risk of destroying your stuff as much.

And timo, you don't have to wear helmets in the Netherlands? Here, cyclists are fined if they're caught without a helmet, even kids.

7. kem

kem

I'd go with the bicycle for any distance up until 12–15ish kilometres. (≈7,4-9,3mi), assuming the road is safe, isn't hilly and that I wouldn't have to use busy roads. It's good for you and for the environment.
    But then again, we've never had a car in our household and the bicycle as a primary means of transport is ingrained in my mind, so I may be a bit biased, I can't seriously consider driving a car ever. I'm certain there are certain situations where driving a car is preferable to cycling, such as carrying a ton of supplies.
    After a while you won't even mind cycling though. Sure, rain is a bitch, headwind is an asshole and cycling in -15°C is a motherfucker, but those will all be admirable milestones in retrospect.
    Edit: I don't use helmets either. I know I should but I keep forgetting since there aren't any sanctions for not using one.

8. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

With all due respect, that's very irresponsible and dangerous. If you are too drunk to control a motor vehicle, you are too drunk to control any other vehicle. I don't know how it is in the Netherlands, but in every state of the US that I know of riding a bicycle drunk carries the exact same penalty as driving a car drunk, as it should.

---------- Post added 25th May 2014 at 03:29 PM ----------

In California only minors have to wear helmets, and for teenagers that isn't necessarily enforced. I personally choose not to, because I'm not a competitive cyclist or off roader, so I'm not riding at particularly high speeds or in rough terrain, and I prefer the comfort of a hat to the heat of a helmet.

---------- Post added 25th May 2014 at 03:32 PM ----------

I personally choose not to get a driver's license. I ride the bus on a day to day basis, ride rail when practicable, and use bikes for short distances or bridging gaps in the public transit routes. I am very fond of bicycling, but I have problems with my bikes, and haven't gotten the opportunity to ride in too long.

9. timo

No, you don't :slight_smile: In fact, I've never seen anyone wearing a helmet while cycling, apart from the occasional racing cyclist.

It's just so common to ride a bike here, I believe we have more bikes than people, everyone is used to bikes being all around which makes it safer. Plus almost all busy roads have separate bike paths.

---------- Post added 26th May 2014 at 12:42 AM ----------

I can see where you're coming from. And strictly speaking I believe it's not allowed to cycle drunk in the Netherlands either. Or even walk while drunk, as you're being part of traffic too. The police doesn't enforce it though, which I think is a good thing. Still a lot safer to have a drunk kid on his bike who can only injure himself if he falls (like I said, a majority of roads have separate bike paths), than to have someone drunk driving a car who might injure (or even kill) others if he crashes.

#9 timo, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  10. Colours

Primary schools actually have an exam you need to take for safe bicycle riding in the Netherlands. I have yet to find someone that lives here that does not know how to ride a bike, lol. It's basically common knowledge.

Though it might sound dangerous to ride a bike while drunk, you can't compare it to driving a car. Not in our culture, anyway. Even though you can get fined for riding while drunk, it never really happens (I've never heard of it happening), because it's basically the go-to way of transport when alcohol is involved. It's a lot safer than driving drunk. Sure, people fall off their bikes when they're drunk sometimes (which is always funny and rarely a big deal in terms of damage), but it's better than hitting a person, tree or whatever with your car.

11. Weekender

Personally, if the campus is small enough, I'd bike. It's a good way to keep fit, and it wakes you up for class. If carrying things is a problem, you can always get those fun little saddlebag attachments!
    I'm not taking a car with me to college in the fall, but I don't have to worry about it since they have a fantastic bus system.

12. I don't wear a helmet either, I don't fall. Even if I do, the first thing to hit the ground is my arm. Sometimes, I spike up my hair whenever I have a semi-formal event at school and a helmet would ruin it. Plus, a helmet feels heavy on your head when you're just waiting for the cars to stop. Also, since we have a bunch of Vietnamese people cycling here, it's almost mainstream here.

#12 anthonythegamer, May 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
  13. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I think it's an issue of infrastructure, then. Where I live, you ride on the road with the cars, and have the same rules. If you are drunk and weave to the left, you are in the path of a car. That is dangerous to both driver and rider. Getting hit is bad, but the driver may also swerve to avoid you and get into a nasty car crash. That's why drunken cycling is banned here, and I totally agree with that.

#13 Necromancer, May 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
  14. I think the best feeling is when your hair is sweaty and you ride a bike. It gives a cooling feeling which feels great until you catch a cold :lol:

15. photoguy93

Car. Car. Car. Car

Car.

Lol. Seriously, I think cars will always be superior. There's sometimes a need for a bike - say, if you're really active or live right next to campus.

The minute you need to go someplace, though.. Or you need to, say, buy groceries.....

16. kem

kem

well, since you're on a bike, you don't need to conserve fuel. You can just buy less at a time and go the store more often. my dad buys groceries for four and he brings them home on a bike with ease, even in winter. and he is almost 60 and a massive smoker.

17. He could bike with a smoker's lung? Talk about superman....

18. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

So, I rode my Dutch bike out to Mountain View tonight. All due respect to the Dutch, but I loath the damned thing. I ride it because it was, up to tonight, my one working bike, though it's always been way too heavy. Then the front screw on the saddle broke and dug into my groin, and the gears decided they didn't want to do shit on any uphill gradient regardless of pressure applied to the pedals. Had to keep riding, because I had to get home. I'm a wee bit angry about the experience.

---------- Post added 26th May 2014 at 12:39 AM ----------

[​IMG]

19. KazTastic

While having a car is nice and convenient, a bike is easier to store, cheaper to buy and run, and is better for your health and the environment.

However, also sign up for a car-sharing program just in case you need to use a car for some reason.

20. photoguy93

So, when do YOU do it?

lol, no.... That's cool that he does, but I still would never do that. I'm so accustomed to the 10-15 bags we bring home, so....