1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guys, do you want to be seen as masculine?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Techno Kid, May 25, 2014.

1. Techno Kid

If so, what does that mean for you?

I'm not a guy so I can't answer... :3

#1 Techno Kid, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  2. allcoolkidsdoit

Well, I don't really get the obsession with being masculine or not. I think I may be 100% gay but I got a lot of straight friends and I kind of behave like them. To be honest, I want to be seen as myself. It just so happens that I'm more masculine but if I'm not I wouldn't have minded anyway.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Biologically, I'm male. I was fortunate to be given decent genes, because I sound and look like I can kick an entire bar's ass. This makes being a feminine spirit A LOT easier, because people don't really bother me. I also have this unique relationship between the internal and the external, in that I have a physical body that can better protect the spirit.

I don't care personally to be seen as masculine, or feminine. I just want to be seen as somebody who did something with their time in this world. But being perceived as masculine has certain perks, in that I ward off a lot of potential trouble-makers. So, in a way, being seen as masculine is beneficial.

Grrr--- yeah, that probably is going too far.

Haha.

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, but it isn't a big deal if I am seen differently.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really care at all. I don't identify as guy any more than I do a girl.

Hell, I feel the same way whenever someone refers to me explicitly as "being male" or "being female" (which actually happens a lot when I'm clean shaven): that it's laughable. It makes no sense in my mind, to use either of those pronouns. I'll live with 'em, but I can only see me as "myself."

#5 Browncoat, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  6. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ehh i don't label myself too much. i don't think i want to, i'm not that insecure, i just like being me. i think masculine and feminine in general is really much of an illusion.

7. Colours

I don't really care for it. I'm a little more masculine than I am feminine I do think, but it's not like I'm trying or anything. I am just myself and don't care for labels.

I'll have you know it used to be different though. I had this more masculine attitude and perception of myself, and hated when people could tell I was gay. Ha, good old days. I guess it was all part of becoming who I am now.

8. wolf of fire

I'm quite feminine, I'm not into sports, weight lifting and cars the stereo typical masculine things. Plus I paint my nails.

9. C P

C P

These two things, especially the last one.

I don't dress feminine or have stereotypical mannerisms so I come across as more masculine but it isn't something I actively try to keep up purposefully.

To go along with that last thing I said, while I don't come across as fem, I also have no interest in 'beefing up' to get muscular and become some super manly guy and all that.

I just do my own thing and whatever you see me as, you see me as.

10. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :thumbsup::slight_smile: Exactly how i am and feel

11. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I keep myself fit and healthy so I have a fairly masculine build. But it's more about the health than the look. Other than that I couldn't care less how I'm perceived. I wear fairly plain clothes and don't particularly behave in a masculine or feminine way.

My ego died a long time ago and I already accept that no one really cares whether I'm hear or not, let alone how I'm perceived so I'm not really concerned myself. As long as my kids and I are healthy, I'm happy.

Happy days :slight_smile:

12. AlamoCity

To an extent, yes. I was raised in a gendered cultural environment and being seen as the opposite of your gender goes against what is considered "proper."

That said, I have no idea what it means to be "masculine" because it generally is based on stereotypes, half-truths, and generalizations. To be honest, if it wasn't for the few biological differences between the sexes (e.g. men are generally stronger than women, ceteris paribus) and the fact that men and women have a different handle on emotions (you should see my sister on that time of them month, she can go from nice to mean in record time :lol:slight_smile:, I don't even know what would be the difference besides physical looks that would make one seem "male" and "masculine" and "female" and "feminine."

But, if I'm gonna dive in on stereotypes and such, I will say being "masculine" is being stoic and level-headed; it involves treating the "weaker vessel" with utmost respect and dignity; it involves being the provider and protector of the weak and females; etc.

Frankly, all I can say is that, while I can't truly define "masculine" and "feminine" without reaching in for stereotypes and such, I will say that I've always considered myself to be on the "masculine" side of the fence and would consider it almost injurious if someone were to use "feminine" as a descriptor of me (depending on the context).

13. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I'm just a regular dude.

14. tulipinacup

When I was younger, I wanted people to look at me as someone who is masculine because I have been bullied as a kid for acting "girly" so I was so conscious with my own image that I started to "act" manly, but as I grew older I began to accept who I really am (even though I still struggle from fitting in)

but let me tell you this, I used to sound like my sister's voice but when I hit puberty, people think I sound like my dad (who has a very deep voice).

15. kem

kem

i don't really care either way. i like to use floral patterns, bright colours, but i don't mind bold and "masculine" clothing either. i love suits and i want an expensive tailored designer suit someday, but i'd like to use bright dresses in the summer as well.

16. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. The only thing that's really stopping me is Too Fat To Pass Syndrome.
    I'm just going to keep working hard, and I'll get there eventually, right?

17. tscott

For me, having come out later in life, I would consider myself as more masculine, and am comfortable with having played rugby in school and collecting Lalique crystal. I dress in an old school fashion, but have no aversion to the colors especially pink, in fact, it may be my favorite color. I like beards and a certain amount of heft, but having joined the gay men's chorus I have been exposed to many types of people from the very feminine and the very masculine and count many as dear friends. One is a very feminine, a dancer and instructor, and has been a there for me throughout my coming out, divorce, and foibles. Without out this exposure, I would have overlooked so valuable a friend. Labels are helpful to get ones bearings, but beyond that they are a hinderance. To me loyalty, kindness, and gentlemanliness are the by words I prefer to use.

:eusa_danc

18. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try not to care, but I end up doing so. As long as I don't get read as too femme or god forbid a butch lesbian---I'm fine.

19. Munyal

I don't really want to be, and I don't, so mission successful I guess?

20. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest