1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all lefties!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IcelandLover, May 25, 2014.

1. IcelandLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Halló!!!

Well I am teaching myself to become ambidextrous, just for the fun challenge and to strengthen both my arms and hands etc. I was born a righty so that's why I need help from any of you lefties out there:

What are some things you do differently (apart from writing, catching/throwing a ball, etc) with your left hand as opposed to your right?

Have you ever been forced to write with your right hand, that you became a righty? If so did you ever have any bad symptoms or effects because of this?

Handedness really interests me, and how one can rewire the brain to learn new things!

2. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I bowl with my right hand, and eat with it
    Other then that I'm a leftie

3. tulipinacup

I actually see it as an advantage for us Lefties. I think we live in a right-handed world that I get used to right handed arm chairs, spring notebooks, can opener ,scissors etc.

I've gotten used to all of these and have fairly adapted from it.

Another thing is that using a right-handed mouse is quite advantageous for lefties because whilst you are using your right hand, you can also use your left hand to take notes,type out etc. so you're pretty much multi tasking.

Take Note: August 13 is Left Handers Day so celebrate your inner witchness kekekekeke

4. Hexagon

Oh, I assumed you were referring to politics. I'm quite dextrous with my left hand, but not ambidextrous or left handed, so I'll leave you in peace.

5. Emulator

I used to be left-handed for a very short while before I used both hands from then on. So I guess I can't really answer your first question, but for the second one yes, I got accustomed to using my right hand to write, and now prefer it because it does not smudge my writing.

6. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was ambidextrous when I was young. My mother and my teachers have told me so. At school everyone used to write with their right hands so I just went with the flow and I gradually lost my left hand writing ability. In the last couple of years I've trained myself to do it again. So I've been through the same thing as what you're doing now! :grin:

Some of the things I did while practicing stuff with my left hand (apart from writing half a page of random stuff every day) were eating, brushing my teeth/hair, beating eggs/grating cheese/stirring things while cooking (careful with this though, don't burn yourself), and using a computer mouse. It also helps a lot if you do a small amount of weight training for your non dominant hand. You don't have to do anything major but it really does help.

7. kem

kem

leftie here. I mainly use it for writing, drawing and painting. I can do most tasks with either hand though, and I've been learning to use my right hand for writing and drawing as well.

8. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

I used to be ambidextrous until I hurt my left hand and had to write with my right hand for an extended period of time. I still play stick sports such as hockey and lacrosse in a left handed position, I never threw with my left hand which I found strange. And my left hand covers most of my keyboard so my left hand does most of the work for me :grin:

As for your challenge to strengthen your left hand, it really is all in practice and learning to use muscles in your left arm and hand that aren't as active as their right counterparts. Just work on flexibility and fine movements and it should start approving! Good luck with this, tell us how it turns out c:

9. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm left handed.

- I write with my left.
    - I play any racket sport with my left hand. Tennis etc
    - Any sports that you use both hands for the club/bat etc. such as golf or cricket, I use a right-hander's stance.
    - The mouse is to the right of my keyboard. I use the mouse with my right hand.
    - Darts, or pretty much anything one hand one hand dependent such as throwing a ball I use my left.

I'm completely 100% left footed though.

10. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not left handed, I'm fully a righty. But I heard that if you brush your teeth with your other hand it improves your function with it.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have tried and cannot write with my right hand to save my life.

My sinistrality hasn't cause me too many difficulties, and those are minimal:

1) Sometimes, I bump elbows with someone who is right handed if I am sitting next to them, for example, eating.

2) Scissors are more annoying to use. There are not truly left-handed scissors. The "left-handed" scissors that do exist are just right-handed scissors they changed the grip on. The more astute will note that for a right-handed person, the blade configuration is such that a right-handed person knows exactly where she's cutting. A left-handed person has to bring the scissors across the center of her body to see, otherwise the top blade occludes the actual cutting edge so she's not sure where she's cutting.

3) My pistol is more annoying to use. The magazine release is on the left side of the grip, which is supposed to make it easier for a right-handed person to use her thumb to depress the release. I have to take my finger of the trigger and outside the trigger guard, tilt the gun and use my right hand to depress the release.

12. IcelandLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I started minimal weight lifting with my left arm and it has improved.

---------- Post added 26th May 2014 at 05:17 PM ----------

And when I asked if any of you had ever been forced to become right handed, did you ever have headaches, nausea, learning problems because of it? Because I read that lefties who were forced to become right handed suffered disproportionately from things like this, as well as confusion and such from not knowing what hand to use.

13. Spider

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read somewhere that homosexual people are usually left handed. I write and eat with my left hand. I use scissors, and hold a razor with my right hand. Most everything else I use the hand I picked it up with and switch when the hand gets tired.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the results are inconclusive, but sinistrality seems to be slightly more common among gay people.

15. Iowan1976

I am left handed, but I grew up in a home that wanted me right handed. So my right hand is not as weak as if I did not use it at all. I feel comfortable and natural left handed, but if I need to, like if I would injure my left hand, I can substitute my right hand.

16. BelleFromHell

I'm ambidextrous. I can do everything with both hands, except writing/drawing, which I have to do with my right. I'm better at doing everything else with my left (holding a fork/spoon/chopsticks, throwing and catching, vaccuming, etc...), but I can use my right when I have to.

I've never been forced to become a righty, except when an injury keeps me from using my left.