Britain, France

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by markosss, May 26, 2014.

1. markosss

Hi my qwestion may be stupid but I really worry about it.I heard that in european parliament elections in britain got elected a homophobe.also in france a far right woman got elected with homophobic views.is there any change that same sex marriage in this countries will become illegal again? Sorry if the qwestion is stupid but I really worry about it.

2. Lukas17

I've heard that these parties are nationalistic but never heard anything about them as homophobes. I think that can't happen soon perhaps later when they win elections but that's not gonna happen (about changing law).

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Put it this way, if 2 politicians managed to overturn something like that in two countries ON THEIR OWN they would be doing a better job than any other elected politician in history...well...except Hitler...

4. markosss

You are right but I have also heard tha hate crimes against lgbt are on rise in france and may the people have no problem making same sex marriage illigal again.I dont live in france and dont know a lot of stuff about the country laws..but I live in another member state of EU without lgbt laws :frowning2:

5. Lukas17

Well I haven't heard anything about that in France so I can't say but only that I hope that's not gonna happen. :eusa_doh:
    If I might ask you from which EU country? :grin:

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think politicians in Europe have bigger things to worry about than overturning same sex marriage laws.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. Though I am stunned at some of the things involving prejudice and hatred going on in France and Benelux right now, which I've always considered to be more liberal bastions.

8. 741852963

Probably right, however it is my understanding that gay marriage was legalised, then that legalisation was overturned (and all the gay marriages annulled) in the Australian Capital Territory last year so stranger things have happened. Although I'm guessing that ruling was more to do with keeping the territory in line and keeping any decisions about "drastic" changes like that in the federal state's hands perhaps?

Back in the UK if a party like UKIP ever got a majority (which thankfully probably won't happen) they may push for an end to gay marriages although their leader has openly stated he wouldn't do this (whether you can trust a snake like Farage is another thing though!).

9. markosss

i am from greece,and greece sucks at lgbt topics,and some other topics:icon_sad:.i agree with you guys that poiticians have bigger problems...two neo-nazist parties elected from greece and germany at the eu elections.....and a lot far right parties.i dont know if things are gonna be better or worse for the lgbt.in my country a left party got elected who supports lgbt.

10. Lukas17

But at the same time Greece is rising, I know it's slowly but things are being better. Across the whole Europe nationalist parties are much stronger every day so if that's in Greece too it's not strange thing. You say that this left party supports lgbt rights so you don't have to worry about nothing about this question. :grin:

11. Hexagon

No, it's only the euro elections, the MEPs don't have that kind of power. Or arguably, any kind of power. However, there are much greater concerns about the recent election results, none of them directly effecting gay rights or free marriage.

12. markosss

greece is a VERY religious country,almost 98% of the countries population are orthodox christians and will get angry if there is some desicion for the lgbt.last year there was a try to bring registered cohabitation in greece for gay couples and every priest in the country get ULTRA angry and started threating the politicians.i dont like the situation in greece and im thinking of moving in another EU coyntry and thats why i worry about the lgbt laws of other countries.so even if a lgbt law take effect in greece gay people will face discrimination EVERY single day.there is some discrimination on straight civil married couples also..so imagine abot hays...:frowning2:

13. Lukas17

I'm really sorry to hear that. Yeah, I know they can be really tough about these questions. :icon_sad: But even that's happening all the time it might change something on better.
    Since you're of age (since you're planning to move out, I'm guessing on that) it's the best decision to go to Western Europe or Scandinavia. :icon_bigg

14. markosss

Yes but I am also thinking that I may face discrimination because of my country of origin..I dont really know why...do you live in europe too? In wich country? I also want to thank everyone for your answers!:slight_smile:

15. Lukas17

Why do you think you may face discrimination? There's a lot of people who live in other, not their own countries and that's why I think you shouldn't be concerned about that. Yes, just a little bit northwest from Greece, Croatia. :grin:

16. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No chance at all.

Why would you think that? There are plenty of Greeks moving to the UK.

#16 imnotreallysure, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  17. markosss

Because almost every country have some xenophobic people....:frowning2:

18. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, there are xenophobic people, but they are a minority. Even if you meet a xenophobic person, they will more than likely keep their mouths shut because expressing opinions like that is frowned upon - just like being racist. Most people are completely fine and have no problem with people from other countries.

19. Lukas17

Surely but as you said every country has it and you shouldn't worry about that. :grin:

20. Camerooon

No, they can't do that. The EU elections kinda affect what laws the EU can pass across Europe - they don't affect laws passed by individual countries. UKIP (the UK political party that made gains) aren't in power in the UK, they just make up 24 out of our 73 EU MEPs (there's currently 3 Northen Irish MEPs that haven't been elected, so they could have up to 27 of the 73, though I'm not sure how UKIP stand in NI). Only our current government can affect same-sex marriage... But after putting it in, I doubt they would. The only way that same-sex marriage would be affected would be by a pan-European Union ban - but that won't ever happen.