1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If your girlfriend or boyfriend was from a different country would you love that ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, May 27, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you dated someone that's from another country would you want to know about their birth place or no and would you be upset if the person never told you they were born in another country ?

2. laurenc

laurenc Guest

Re: If your girlfriend or boyfriend was from a different country would you love that

if I love someone,where they are from would not change how I feel about them.

3. Jwis

Re: If your girlfriend or boyfriend was from a different country would you love that

I wouldn't care if they were from another country, but I would be a bit upset that they didn't share that information with me. It's kind of a big deal (at least where I'm from) if you were born outside of the country and I would like my boyfriend to share it with me.

4. tulipinacup

I already did. We lasted for 3 years.

5. AlamoCity

I wouldn't care if they were and wouldn't mind that. That said, I would be a little upset if that didn't come up in normal conversation in the beginning. However, I would be leery at first to ensure that his love for me was in no way influenced by the fact that he could get US citizenship through me*.

*While not common, my aunt, when in her 20s, fell in love with a man who said he loved her and got married. He was undocumented and used her to get his papers and left her when all was said and done. That man, we later found out, was previously married in his home country. Still, this family experience makes me slightly nervous.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

What if they grew up here and already had citizenship

7. AlamoCity

As I said, "I wouldn't care."

I'm just more nervous if I'm put in the same position as my aunt.

8. AKTodd

Been there, done that.

Three year relationship with someone from another country. His being from another country wasn't an issue good or bad per se or at first. However, as time went on various elements started to become apparent, some of them I suspect cultural, that contributed to the relationship ending.

Todd

9. BelleFromHell

I think dating someone from another country would be interesting. I could learn about her country, and she could learn about mine.

I'd think it'd be weird for them not to bring it up, but I certainly wouldn't be mad about it. Race and nationality don't matter to me. As long as we can understand eachother, I'm OK. :slight_smile:

10. MissMook

Wouldn't matter to me, I'd love to learn about their culture in general.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

as long as there American.

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Having basically a multicultural childhood because my parents are immigrants, I think I would know quickly if the other person is not from the US. I would say that I would be attracted to someone foreign just for learning something new, but I would put more emphasis on their personality than birth place.

13. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Don't care. I dated a Canadian, an Australian and a guy from Denmark. I seem to have more in common with people from other countries on a whole.

As far as not telling, I think that would be strange but I guess depending on the country and why they left I might understand.

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

That makes no sense.

15. BelleFromHell

I think that was his intention. :roflmao:

16. ouji

ouji Guest

It wouldn't matter to me if someone was born in another country. I would like them to tell me, but if they didn't tell me I wouldn't be mad at them.

17. volvo6x

I'd really love that, cultural diversity is great! But it would be odd if that question isn't brought up somewhere in the conversation.

18. Weekender

If I were dating someone from another country, of course I would want to know about their birth country. Why wouldn't I? It'd be silly of me not to take some measure of interest in it and try to get to know that facet of them a little bit more. Now, if it weren't a very big deal to them, then I wouldn't mind if it weren't brought up in conversation until a bit later in the relationship.

After all (if we're not noting the difference between being born in a different country and being from a different country), I don't regularly bring up the fact that I was born outside of America in regular conversation. I doubt I would even bring it up on one of the earlier dates unless we found ourselves on the topic. But if, for some reason, they are intentionally hiding the fact that they were born somewhere else, I'd probably have a problem.

19. ohnobro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

I would have no problems dating a person from another country. They don't have to talk about their life in their home country. What matters to me is that we can be together and not focus on that difference. It would be nice to talk about though.

20. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It wouldn't bother me if they were from another country and it wouldn't bother me if they didn't tell me right away.

Frankly if it got serious and I didn't know I can pretty much blame myself for not caring enough to find out...