1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight guys who 'act' Gay when drunk.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by brighteyes52, Aug 13, 2008.

1. brighteyes52

brighteyes52 Guest

Okay, I just don't get it. This has always been something that has bothered me, and it's something I've been thinking about lately.

A lot of, if not most, Straight men find the Gay lifestlye to be gross or weird and it's something they "Could never do". They won't touch another man or even be suggestive and they tend to throw 'You're so/That's so Gay" around quite a bit, to the point where they are rarely affectionate toward one another and would never say I love you to another man.

Yet, as SOON as alchohol is involved.. all of that is THROWN out the window. Now they may not kiss, or fool around or anything to that extent, but they do act extremely suggestive. Every time I am drinking with people or at a party, the straight guys are always the ones posing for pictures (90% of the time it's with another mans' face in his crotch, or he has him bent over) you get the idea.

So why do they feel the need to bash on gay people? Or to talk down on the lifestyle? To me it doesn't seem like they are making fun of it when drunk, to me, it seems like they are having way too much fun and just using alchohol as an excuse to do something they would never do otherwise when sober.

Does anyone or has anyone else come across this a lot?

2. Alexander

Number 1. Alcohol is NEVER an excuse. Even among rambunctious college guys.

Number 2. Our society has two separate views on what makes the ideal” man and the “ideal” woman. While the “ideal” woman balances feminine and masculine hetero-social normatives, the “ideal” man is supposed to be be brutal and possess only masculine qualities, and reject his feminine characteristics at all cost.

Number 3. This ties into number two. Our male-oriented society also has a view of the “ideal” sexuality. For women, the strictness of this view is less, because girl-on-girl plays into certain heterosexual male fantasies. Strangely and sadly, the ideal male sexuality is based *not* on loving women, but rejecting men's love. Therefore, the social normative for females is once again more “balanced”, while the male is forced into this box of masculinity.

Number 4. Acting “sissy” when drunk or otherwise is somewhat played into this social construct of manhood. Since man is supposed to reject the feminine in himself and other men, showing that they are not afraid of the feminine ties into the “ideal” stereotype. Therefore we see a lot of straight men who aren't actually trying to poke fun at gay or feminine men, but are actually (paradoxically) trying to prove their heterosexual manhood.

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I do get this alot actually...and it's kinda funny that it's not as bad as it used to be for me meaning people just don't care what people think of them...and for those people I say kudos.

4. -Michael-

Simply life imitating art imitating life.

Aha they see popular drunken characters (Like when ross rachel get drunk in vegas)
    They see how funny and loved they are and hope that if they act the same they'll get the same result.

We all do.
    Practicly all drama is us imitating TV...
    :slight_smile:

5. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I also dislike it when people make fun of gay people in this way. It's like girls who will kiss to get the guys' attention, to show that they're "bisexual", whereas in fact as soon as someone comes out to them properly, they freak, because actually, they're straight - and pretty homophobic at that too. It's almost as though by pretending to be gay they're proving their straightness, because it shows that they're so comfortable with their (straight) sexuality that they can pretend to be gay?

Although, that said, when I was "straight", and not out to myself, I used to act very gay and suggestive when drunk. In a jokey way. But inside I was torn.

Not saying that this is the situation with the guys you know, but it's something to ponder.