1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

''LGBT+'' or ''MOGII''?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hen, May 28, 2014.

?

Preferred Acronym?

1. LGBT+

64 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. GSRM

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. MOGII

11 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Other (elaborate in a post please!)

8 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. hen

hen

A relatively recent alternative to the more well-known acronyms is MOGII, explained here. One of the biggest draws is that it is highly inclusive without being really long. However, it isn't as common as LGBT+ or GSRM, and so it's (currently) less recognizable by the general public.

Which acronym do you think is best, and why?

2. juliegt6

Honestly, most straight people I know refer to all lgbt+ and more just as the gay community. Having a term like mogii would just add more confusion. I've found the biggest thing you can change in regards to the straight genpop with effort and being a good person is that people go, huh, that lesbian/transperson/other is pretty ok, and they actually start to evaluate each lgbt+ individual they come across in the future before forming an opinion on them.

Not that we can't use more inclusive terminology inside our own community! I got into the l & t parts of lgbt, so I'd like to hear what people outside the old acronym would feel best includes them in terms of a newer one.

3. AlamoCity

Frankly, for the sake of simplicity, I prefer LGBT. The others are too complicated and convoluted and sound as if it came from the ivory towers of Berkeley or Pomona :lol:.

4. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I prefer LGBTQA+. It covers the major sexual orientations, and everyone will understand what it means. For the sake of confusion, let's just stick with the common one.

5. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I prefer LGBT+, because I think it's more useful for now. Pretty much everyone already knows what it stands for, so it's easier to continue using it going forward. Having said that, I think that a more encompassing acronym like MOGII will probably eventually take over, and I think that makes sense. But probably not until this era of increasing acceptance has become recent history, history that could stand more simplistically inclusive categorization (blah :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

6. sammy1

Wtf is MOGII!?!? I think it should just stay simple! Like LGBT+/GLBT+ I have NEVER heard the acronym MOGII until right now....ugh! Stop changing it!

7. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I kind of like the term, "people" myself

8. Saint Otaku

Reading, MOGII does sound nice, but it'll take some time to become as iconic as LGBT--although most people I know still don't know what LGBT means~

9. hen

hen

One point I'd like to bring up that I didn't think of until after making the initial post:

Making things easier for straight/cis allies & potential allies is one priority. In-community inclusiveness is another. Both are decent goals, but maintaining the former at the expense of the latter can cause problems - erasure, specifically, which is the main reason why people have made new acronyms in the first place.

(Also, friendly reminder that I didn't make any of these terms up myself. I'm just interested in the community's opinions on the issue. Please don't shoot the messenger.)

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Voted "GSRM" despite not knowing what the "R" stands for*. I am getting more and more accustomed to saying "GSM" in place of "LGBT" because if we keep that up, it becomes more letters than is convenient.

EDIT: Just read the article and confirmed that the R means romantic. Eh, tough call there. Then we're trading one 4-letter acrostic for another.

#10 Argentwing, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  11. hen

hen

The ''R'' is ''Romantic''. The link I included in the initial post actually discusses that acronym briefly, so you might benefit from checking it out.

12. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

LGBT's fine with me.

MOGI...whatever just seems like another failed attempt at PC-ity

13. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That fourth letter makes all the difference! :grin:

---------- Post added 28th May 2014 at 11:15 PM ----------

PC-ity, I love it!

14. Kamina

I prefer LGBT+. I mean I already have people ask me what that stands for. Adding more in is hard and explaining it worse and I usually just say gay community as a catch all and so do most of the people I know.

I mean I'm at a catholic school so that's probably part of it but I literally spent half of second period the other day explaining the difference between gender and sex to someone. They just didn't get that sex is what's between your legs and gender is a cultural standard of traits defined as male and female that one may or may not conform to.

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Neither one is adequate. I use "queer" and will continue to do so.

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I like lgbt the way it is

17. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Why would MOGII be inadequate? I'm just curious?

---------- Post added 28th May 2014 at 11:37 PM ----------

Is it because of marginalized? Come to think of it, I don't like that aspect of it...

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm. Well, despite the less than wholesome origins talked about there, I think this one is the most straightforward and effective. Unlike MOGII, it necessitates no opinions*, sticks to the facts, and especially with the R in there, includes everybody that isn't completely cishet. I don't consider rapists and pedophiles to be included, because those are much closer to paraphilias (pedos especially because it's right there in the name) than orientations. Actually, rapists are in an entirely different ballpark and I'm not sure I even want to touch that o.0

*In the event that our particular minorities are no longer marginalized, MOGII won't really be accurate anymore. It's far less likely that we'll quit being minorities lol :wink:

#18 Argentwing, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  19. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    MOGII sounds like a gaming console or a trendy energy drink or something.

GSRM sounds like some sort of psychological evaluation test.

LGBT(QIAP)+ is just unwieldy.

None of these acromyms are ideal honestly.

20. BelleFromHell

I'm sticking with LGBTQIA+. I didn't even know what MOGII meant until I read this.

If the term "lesbian" is too fetishized, we can just use the G for gay women as well. We could remove all the gender related letters and build a new acronym with them (so people don't confuse sexuality with gender identity, and vice versa).

Don't know why anyone would want to use GSRM. The term was coined by a pedophile who thought sex between children and their parents was "natural", and that rapists are a "sexual minority." Do you want that to be part of our community?