1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian holidays : (

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aquilo, May 29, 2014.

1. Aquilo

They make me sad.. so really sad.. and hungry.

So I went shopping in the early morning for groceries. But when I arrived at my destination I saw a lack of people and closed shops and I wondered 'What is going on :O ?'

Then I heard the church bells ringing. : (

So what is the point of a holiday:
    -On a Thursday, when you have to go to work the day after...
    -Which uses a weird moon calender to determine the date...

I wouldn't mind if Easter and such were on logical dates, like 'The first Friday of April' and 'The first Friday of May' and 'The first Friday of June', so they're easily remembered and most of all, logical.

2. Easter is on a logical date. The Sunday following the first full moon after the vernal equinox; perfectly logical.:icon_bigg

The point of a holiday on any day is to show us that there is more to life than making and spending money. Religious holidays which get us a day off (and there remain only two in the UK) are among the few benefits that organised religion has to offer.

3. Hexagon

Meh. They should just pick a date and keep it. It isn't like christmas is at the same time of year that jesus was supposedly born. Better yet, just have a spring holiday, and let the religious take a couple of days off during their holidays if they don't coincide. That's what the muslims at my college do, I don't see why it shouldn't work for christians.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It used to not matter to me, as if it's an excuse to give me a day off, I was all for it. But now that I'm in college, they close the dorms/dining halls for certain holidays.

When I woke up on Easter Sunday, I wouldn't have known that it was Easter if it weren't for my mom texting me to say, "Happy Easter! Remember what Jesus did for you today!" until we went and got something to eat. So instead of the usual Ham andwhatever else is traditional Easter Dinner food, we had Chinese.

5. timo

All supermarkets in my city are open today and I just did my grocery shopping.

I'm glad to see we're letting go of traditions that make no sense, like closing all stores in the country on a holiday that's only celebrated by a small percentage of people. It's all good if you want to celebrate, but let me do what I want too and don't force me to stay at home.
    Same goes for stores being open on Sundays.

6. PurpleGrey

Actually factually, certain holidays really are on the same date every year, but they follow the Jewish calendar, not the Roman calendar we use and are accustomed to.

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today is a holiday? And here I am, at work. I had no idea!