1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like your "given" first name?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, May 30, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you like your first name that you were given by your parents when you were born? My first name is Nigel which I've never been fond of. I think it just gives of that boring plain geek vibe of someone that is awkward (no offence to any other Nigel's but that's how I feel).

You don't have to give your first name. Just if you like/dislike it and perhaps why.

Also, for the Trans people here, regardless of your desire or journey of change, do you still like the name you were given, even if you end up changing it to one more associated with the other gender to what you began (I hope I worded that ok as I'm not trying to offend or anything).

So, what are your thoughts......

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

No, not fond of my birth name. I mean, it's not that it's a bad name. It's kinda pretty...for a girl's name. :dry: Wouldn't name my kid that though, that'd be weird.

3. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not especially, it's not like I actively dislike it but... it isn't a great name.

I don't like my last name either.

4. CyanChachki

I never really liked my given name (Kathleen). It definitely wouldn't be my first, second, third or fifteenth choice. It's very unoriginal, a little too old fashioned for me and I barely knew anyone with my name and I would rather people just not call me that at all.

5. Kabuki

I do not like my given name. First, because my dad is called the same, you know, the first male born needs to be called like the father and I hate that reason; Second, because my name is actually a nickname, which means, it haves no meaning at all. Kinda lame if you ask me.

6. Tetra

Nope, it doesn't fit me at all. I mean, it's a nice name, but I'd rather chop off the last four letters of it...

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In Mexico it is a tradition to hand down to the first-born son the father's given name. Mine is detestable, so much so that I am known by my middle name...such is life...

8. mangotree

I'm pretty happy with my first name. Daniel.
    If I was given the choice to pick one as a child, I probably would have picked a pretty common or "normal" name like I've got. Oddly, my Mum, Dad and sister have all got quite unusual names... well unusual spelling anyway.
    I like not having to spell mine out to everyone.

After my Mum and Dad pass on, I think I might change my last name though, a mixture of their names because my surname really means nothing to me.

Peace!

9. Chess

Chess Guest

HAHAHAHA
    no.

Aside from the fact that, well, it's a guy's name ._. It's possibly one of the most boring names ever. Benjamin. I mean it's better than John but still.

10. Au.Quicksilver

(Cody) Sure. It fit's the good half of my personality well. It's also the last name of one of my relatives.

11. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    mope not really.. but i haven't figured out anything else...

12. awesomeness

I'd change it right now, but I'm just worried that it'd complicate a lot of things.

It's not like I dislike my name. It's just that it's really unique, and I'm tired that no one can pronounce it right when they first meet me lol

So I've been thinking about changing it to a similar, but more simple, nickname.

13. timo

It's not bad. I don't know if I'd pick it myself, but looking at the 20 billion horrible other names out there that could've been mine... Yeah, I'm fine with Timo :slight_smile:

14. Emulator

Not really. I'd rather use a short form of it which I do from time to time.

15. garudamon11

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love my first name, its Hasan (pronounced /ħa:sa:n/ in IPA)
    Its not a very common name so the hipster part of me is happy. I'll be forever grateful to my parents for not calling me Mohammad or Ali or some typical Arabic name.

My name on birth was Dureid (a very uncommon Arabic name) but a month later they decided to change it to Hasan, I would have preferred that name if they asked me.

#15 garudamon11, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  16. Higs

I like mine for what it is, but I kinda dislike it too because anyone outside my birth country don't understand or know how to say it >.<

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No not at all I want to change it

18. DangerAlex

My name is Dane. I don't know, I guess I like it alright. I prefer it over all the more common names like John and Jason and Justin (no offense to Johns, Jasons, or Justins of course), but every time I introduce myself they think I'm saying Dan weirdly and call me Dan. So I have to say, "No, it's Dane. Like 'Great Dane'." And so then they force a laugh at my "hilarious" joke and sometimes call me Great Dane.

My friends have called me Danger for some years now as a nickname, which I've always kind of liked.

19. My first name is Paige.
    It's a nice name I guess. Relatively uncommon for when I was born/the area I lived in, so I am often surprised to find another one around my age. I gather Paige has become more popular since then, so there's that.

It's not super gender neutral in terms of general usage, but I do take heart in Paige's origins. A page was a young boy whose service was the first step in his knight training. So that's pretty cool.

I've considered swapping it out for my middle name (and go by Alex) but I'm just kind of too attached to Paige.

20. wolf of fire

My parents gave me the least original name they could think of I then became the most unique person in the family but as is life.